The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tim Conover Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
784 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
Hello friends!
After a recent performance, I was approached by a member of the audience who had some nice comments to make about my show. It was obvious that this individual had some knowledge of mentalism, as he referred to some of the pieces in my show by both name and creator. He caught me off guard when he asked me if I had permission to use Tim Conover's Newspaper Prediction in my show. I, of course, said "No, the newspaper prediction effect that I use in my show is an original creation." He told me it was remarkable similar to Tim Conover's effect. Since that time I've stopped using it in my show. I made an effort to contact Tim via email, but have had no response. While I thought I created my routine on my own, I was aware that Tim had a similar Newspaper Prediction in his show. In fact, I made a post inquiring about his effect over 2 years ago on this site. When I learned it was unavailable commercially, I set out to create my own routine, which I have used with great success since. However, if I independently came up with the same method, I feel it would be unethical to use it. So if anyone is familiar with Tim's method, could you please PM me for a private discussion. Thanks in advance.
--Scott Kahn, M.D.
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2666 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2007-12-01 12:41, Scott Kahn wrote:
if I independently came up with the same method, I feel it would be unethical to use it.

I don't understand. If you came up with a way to do it on your own, then you're not stealing. So what's the dilemma?
Bambaladam
View Profile
Special user
636 Posts

Profile of Bambaladam
I would be more worried about identical presentations. If you're not guilty of that (which sounds unlikely given your relation of the events), everything should be fine.

Try again to contact Tim. Send him a write-up of your routine. I'm sure there are interesting differences and you will both learn from a comparison of your routines.

I am fairly sure he is a member here, but don't know if he still logs in.

Most people, when approached about something like this, are likely to be helpful and nice to deal with. I have no doubts that as long as things are as they say the result of any contact between you and Tim will be mutually beneficial. And don't feel worried about stealing.

The truly unique and personal inviolable property is presentation anyway, not method. If the audience sees what you do as the same, it's a problem. If they don't, even though it is, it's not really a problem. Of course it is important we treat each other's methods with respect, but it is clear from your attitude that you do.

I agree with Mind Guerrilla. I expect that to be a rare treat, so will relish it. Smile
brainchild
View Profile
Loyal user
Ideological Bigot
259 Posts

Profile of brainchild
PM'd you Scott.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Hey bro, sometimes great minds think alike. If you came up with it on your own then keep going.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Mr.conover never shared the working method at large so if you came up with that yourself and you can swear you never took some 'hint' from seeing his version: then I'd say its only fair game and don't see any reason for you to quit performing your piece
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1267 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I would say that Bambaladam has suggested the proper action here. Try again to contact Mr. Conover. I would suggest you contact some of the professional performers such as Richard Osterlind that have posted here before to see if they can assist you in contacting him. Share your routine with him first after youexplain the reason for contacting him.

Also, realize that this is the busy season for many performers so don't be surprised if you are not able to contact him until after the new year. I have a friend who once had to celebrate Christmas with his parents in January due to his hectic December performance schedule. He ended up having three days off from the 5th to the 31st of December that year.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17860 Posts

Profile of Slim King
If your presentation is cutting into Connovers business I'm sure he'll contact you Smile
If not...Why worry?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Scott,

Tim has telephone contact information on his website. You may want to just drop him a call if you want to contact him.

Dan
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tim Conover Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL