We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Simpatico (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1201 Posts

Profile of bekralik
This review is going to be based on my initial thoughts and assessment of the inherent value of the product and I will try to explain my personal philosophies on price throughout. I also have not had a chance to perform this yet.

Ever since this product first came out, I’ve thought and thought about it. I think I’ve come up with good ways to accomplish the same effect, but I ordered it and it arrived yesterday. For the price (and I’ll use this phrase a lot), I expected either something with a huge effect, and/or a complicated, costly technological invention. I don’t think this is either.

This effect may be well-received in the campus/university setting that Brian Brushwood typically performs in. In looking at the live demonstration, it does provide a decent effect. However, despite claims to the contrary, I think the “Receiver” knows exactly what happens at the end of the routine. I know you’re going to tell me to think like a layman, but I don’t think layman are idiots, and they have a certain degree of knowledge about forcing or shells or Svengali decks.

Also, for the price, I would expect a complete and thorough documentation of how to operate the gimmick, what to do when circumstances go wrong, spectator handling, how to tie the blindfold, etc. This is an 8-minute routine. I got a booklet that is 8 pages in length, 90% of it just covering the patter. I expected more. How about alternative presentations or questions commonly asked by the audience? The tape also just gives a live performance, no discussion or analysis. Again, for that price, I expect a lot more. This is not some packet trick. In fact, I have $10 packet tricks that cover more in depth than this $400 effect.

Compare this trick to Bowl-A-Rama. The effect in Bowl-A-Rama is HUGE. That alone is worth a lot of money in prestige of doing this effect. I can’t say that this has half the inherent effect value of Bowl-A-Rama. I think this should be offered at a quarter or a third of the price it is currently being sold for, unfortunately. Magicians make poor businessmen, and one should not be sell a product at what the market can bear. It should be selling it for what it’s worth, including price of materials and effect value on an audience. I can come up with a super Any-Card-At-Any-Number routine that involves a stooge. The ‘effect’ value would be HUGE, but the method doesn’t warrant this to be offered at 25 cents. It must be a combination of the two factors.

Simpatico IS a ‘decent’ effect. It’s very good, but not completely worth its price, regardless of how successful it has been for its’ inventor. That seems to have been a large influence on what to charge for this effect. An inventor of an effect should not be allowed to solely determine the value of his effect because he’s biased. This is a great effect for a large audience, moreso with alcohol. It’s a comedy effect, after all. There is too much documentation left out of the package to really inspire confidence in presenting it that will have to be discovered through trial and error. Again, at this price, that entire factor should be taken out of the equation.

I would like to hear from anybody else who has this product for their view on the value of this effect. Yes, the value is in if you use it. Well, I get a lot of use out of triumph a lot and that’s a great effect for its price. I just don’t have as great a feeling out of this one, on my 'initial assessment' of this product (which is subject to change at any time in the future!).

Brian
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
Brian, is this trick sure fire, or is there room for the "reciever" to draw the wrong thing? Also, does the reciever end up being tipped off as to how the whole thing works? Depending on the ansewers to these questions, would you possibly be interested in selling yours?

Thanks,
Beau
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
gtthecloser42
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of gtthecloser42
Hi guys,

I actually own the trick and I have seen Brian perform this live. I have done the trick in bars, restaurants, and comedy clubs. If you have any questions on the effect let me know if I can be of any help.

Regards,

Gerald Torregosa
dtrickys
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of dtrickys
Thank you so much for your review it's very helpful , No video explanation? That's strange only PDF?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Simpatico (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL