The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which Dancing Cane is this??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I need to know where to buy this dancing cane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smm7IZjvTbs

I wonder if its from precisionmagic.com
Jeff Jenson
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver, Colorado
319 Posts

Profile of Jeff Jenson
I don't know if you tried asking the create of the video about his prop, that's what I would do!

Best,
Jeff
Jeff Jenson
"Keep The Magic Alive"
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of 12345
I've sent email to both people the guy and precision. I figure nothing spells out magician then a wand, so I have to know a wand routine!

Thanks
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Well it was a really bad performance and a very badly balanced cane so I'd steer VERY clear of it!!
CurtWaltermire
View Profile
Special user
Curtis The Mentalist
505 Posts

Profile of CurtWaltermire
I agree with Gary. Though it may be my monitor, the performance is really hard to see. I think the video is bad. I've used two different dancing canes in my lifetime, but I don't have one now. One was made of balsa wood, I believe, and the other was a lightweight, cardboard material with a gimmick that was invisible even in broad daylight. I'm sorry I can't tell you the manufacturers, because I don't remember, but I do know that the balsa wood cane was known then (some twenty or so years ago) as the "David Copperfield Dancing Cane." IMHO, I think it is a great effect when done in conjunction with other things (i.e. as part of a larger routine), but it is an effect that should be short lived, because after the first several moments, the audience gets it and it's time to move on. It's like a touch of garnish on a plate of Prime Rib--you don't eat it, but it makes the Prime Rib look that much more delicious. Too many people use the same moves over and over again, and it becomes a bore to watch. It is not a "WOW" effect in and of itself, but it is fun to watch when it is performed well. It is definitely an effect where less is better.

For what it's worth--my $.02
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
The Copperfield cane was a creekmore cane and is
plastic coated balsa wood. Losander makes a very
light cane with IT. for closeup. Creekmore cane can do
acrobatic routine. Losander can do closeup moves only.
Precision is good for rehearsal but as with all aluminium
canes it is heavy. Also the precision cane is not properly balanced.
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
Quote:
On 2008-01-06 23:42, CurtWaltermire wrote:
It is definitely an effect where less is better.

When looking at the video in the first post this one was in the sidebar. It's absolutely beautiful, I don't think I have ever seen it done that well, but still I think it's too long. It's like I want to say: "Yeah yeah... you can make it float, I get it... move on already" All the various moves adds nothing. And to be honest, the last "taking of the hat" move totally kills it. No one ever really pulls that one off.

Now, to be fair, I don't do the dancing cane. It does not fit my personality, nor does it go well with the rest of what I do so I can only speak from a spectators point of view. Done as a short interlude or a flourish it's fantastic but as a routine by it self it gets old really fast...

And that concludes my two cents Smile

Tina
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I've always liked Jeff McBride's Vortex cane and his Revolution video is a great video for learn cane handling and moves.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magodiego
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magodiego
I have exactly the same cane. I bought it in Tannen's Magic NY
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
The second link is the Precision Magic cane. To be fair, that is from an instructional video designed to show most of the moves taught on the video. I know Dave well. He is the creator of that cane and that was the accompanying video. As for the hat move - my son was mentored by Dave and he won several awards with a routine very similar to that. He got many compliments from judges about the hat move. Sterling Dietz also used a move (removing the gloves)that my son created with the help of Dave, and he won the IBM youth contest. I also agree that less is better, my son's routine was a little too long, but it served him well.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Jerrid Mutter
View Profile
New user
Virginia Beach, VA
65 Posts

Profile of Jerrid Mutter
So Scott, would you say that the Precision is one of the better ones out there or is there a better one than that? I don't know a whole lot about the dancing cane but that hat move was very nice.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I'd say it's the BEST dancing cane available right now....

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
I agree with Robert, but it is a heavy cane, so lighting can be a problem. A lighter cane can use a much thinner gimmick, thus less visible.
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 23:41, Scott Compton wrote:
The second link is the Precision Magic cane. To be fair, that is from an instructional video designed to show most of the moves taught on the video. I know Dave well. He is the creator of that cane and that was the accompanying video. As for the hat move - my son was mentored by Dave and he won several awards with a routine very similar to that. He got many compliments from judges about the hat move. Sterling Dietz also used a move (removing the gloves)that my son created with the help of Dave, and he won the IBM youth contest. I also agree that less is better, my son's routine was a little too long, but it served him well.

Just a point of clarification - I was actually the first performer working with David Mann to incorporate the hat moves, officially debutting it in the 2005 IBM stage comp where I was named a Gold Medal finalist.

But Christian is fantastic and his glove work with the cane is rather amazing!
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which Dancing Cane is this??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL