The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
My guess would be that everyone has thier favorite TV show according to the genre. Comedy, talk show, cop, hospital, scifi, western, etc.
Hoff Man
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
258 Posts

Profile of Hoff Man
No one mentioned MASH.

Although not my favorite, it probably gets high marks in most of the criteria mentioned earlier.

Steve
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
The Simpsons

writing - brilliant
voice actors - amazing
animation - excellent

they have parodied and covered just about every aspect of western society and popular culture.

either that or Cop Rock or the Montefuscos
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 13:59, stoneunhinged wrote:
Corona, I had never heard of the Prisoner. I just read the Wikipedia article, and it sounds excellent, indeed.

It was very good but the whole premise was that you went along with the ride mainly to find out what was really going on and who was behind everything. The series finale was something out of "Twin Peaks" and made no sense at all to me. I don't think it ever really explained who was behind the plot to keep him on the island. I was a kid when I watched so maybe he ending was just to twisted for me.

Best,

Tim
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
The first few years of "All in the Family".

A close second would be....

"Monty Python's Flying Circus". It is easy to overlook, as so many people know the sketches now, and familiarity breeds contempt, but my goodness, what a ground-breaking show. Brilliant.

I love "Fawlty Towers", too.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
magicman226
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, Texas
234 Posts

Profile of magicman226
My two absolute favorites:

Seinfeld and Monty Python's Flying Circus!

I watch the Simpsons very frequently, as well as South Park.

Unfortunately, I am yet to see Fawlty Towers. It makes me sad that I haven't had a chance to watch it before.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
COPS!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
jekyllandhyde
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of jekyllandhyde
By far...Baretta.
Great drama/comedy.
Excellent acting.
Clear writing.
Meticulous set designs.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Futurama! Not even being canceled could stop this series!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I thought about it and I have to go with Monk.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
If I haven't used up my votes, I'm also a big supporter of Monty Python and The Simpsons. And South Park seems to do for my children what Mad magazine did for me.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Sanford and Son. It's the only one I still watch every night and have watched since it went off the air and now more than ever since I am channeling Fred Sanford in daily life.

As the only other TV show I've ever been hooked on is a contemporary reality show, both UK and US versions "Nightmare Kitchen" Compelling.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
DonDriver
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of DonDriver
I love Lucy ,Andy Griffin show...oh the good old days.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5761 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
MASH.

Great in every aspect AND it covered a range of topics from light hearted to controversial and cutting edge.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2424 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 10:50, stoneunhinged wrote:
...KUNG FU!

I will probably be the only one here to agree with you - there's more to the little Zen lessons than initially meets the eye.

You might want to see CIRCLE OF IRON on DVD - more of the same.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Actually, Ross, Kung Fu has a lot of support. I know in the South, where I lived when it first ran, Kung Fu was biiiiig
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I forgot about the old "The Outer Limits" show.

Great stuff for the 60's!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Kung Fu, too historically inaccurate and not very martial arts accurate. Prisoner was attention getting, but too much lost if you didn't experience it in the time period it was produced. Otherwise the final episode will go totally over your head. Though I still think it was Patrick Magoohan's best work.
I'm a 50's child, so series that kept me glued were The Incredible Mr. Peepers, Sgt. Bilko (AKA Army life and the Phil Silvers show), Red Skelton, That Show of Shows, 1950's Dragnet, hmmmm so many, I'll play my prejudice card and go with The Magic Land of Alakazam.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2424 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Does anybody else go back, umpty years later, to shows they found "awesome" in their youth, and viewing them again you wonder what you ever saw in this dreadful garbage?

Adventures of Robin Hood (my childhood favorite, the one with Richard Greene) holds up well, but I remember finding the archival Mickey Mouse Clubs (briefly brought back in the early 80s) breathtakingly bad. I can't watch too many of the old Twilight Zone episodes without wondering where my brain was during their initial run (those that hold up, though, are still stunning). Bought Season 3 of Have Gun Will Travel at the urging of my younger son - watchable, literate, but ... how can a half-hour drama be so darned SLOW?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 21:29, rossmacrae wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 10:50, stoneunhinged wrote:
...KUNG FU!

I will probably be the only one here to agree with you - there's more to the little Zen lessons than initially meets the eye.

You might want to see CIRCLE OF IRON on DVD - more of the same.

I LOVE CIRCLE OF IRON!!!! lol
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL