The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
"Sanford and Son."

I know I'll get some flak for this, but... though dated now, the first season of "Miami Vice" was pretty good.

I used to like the British show, "UFO." I loved the mod silver mini skirts and the platinum or purple hair the women all had.

"The Young Ones" was pretty funny
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2011-01-20 02:27, Nom de Guerre wrote:

"The Young Ones" was pretty funny

I just heard about "The Young Ones" (the Britcom, right?) the other day, when I watched some anniversary special about "Father Ted". I'll have to check "The Young Ones" out.

Speaking of "Father Ted", it was also excellent.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Nom de Guerre
View Profile
New user
82 Posts

Profile of Nom de Guerre
Yes, that's the one. If you like Britcoms, it's definitely worth checking out, although I haven't seen it in many years.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Best Series is way too subjective, so there is no real answer to this question.

My Favorite Series:
Amos & Andy
The Honeymooner's
I Love Lucy
The Andy Griffith Show (the one's with Don Knotts)
The Twilight Zone
All In The Family
Columbo
Kung Fu
Mash
Married With Children (laugh at me if you like, I love this show)

My Favorite Mini Series:
Roots
Lonesome Dove
V

Favorite Weekly Shows:
The Ed Sullivan Show
The Tonight Show (Johnny Carson)

Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On 2011-01-21 07:10, irossall wrote:
Best Series is way too subjective....

Actually, "best" is almost never subjective--just ill-defined. And I did try my best to continue to refine the definition, though perhaps unsuccessfully. Still, it might be interesting for some of you to go back and read the thread from the beginning.

For example, it becomes clear that I was thinking "best television drama", as comparing comedy to drama is a bit...well...subjective. Smile

Another thing I tried to do is get us to consider a series as a whole--musical score, costumes, sets, stories, writing, acting, and continuity.

While subjectivity always enters the picture (otherwise we wouldn't have any discussion, would we?), I think that fairly objective judgments of quality can be made. A series like the Sopranos comes into the running because it showed excellence on all counts, whereas formula shows like Love Boat or Fantasy Island--shows I loved back in the day, and which fill me with nostalgia--could hardly be seriously considered as contenders.

Even one of my favorite all time shows--the original Star Trek--has serious flaws. The sets were poor bordering on ridiculous. It worked for me, especially many years later, because I absolutely love Sci-Fi kitsch aesthetic. But the fact is that the network just didn't put enough money into it to get the same quality of production as with a show like Kung Fu. I love Shatner and think of his acting fondly. But Kirk is no Tony Soprano. Not even close. Gandolfini brings something to the screen that Shatner doesn't.

Now, again I agree that there is an element of subjectivity to what is best. But so subjectivite that we can't even discuss it? Sorry, but I must politely and strenuously disagree. But if someone wants to argue for Baywatch, please go ahead. I'm listening.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Glad to see you posting in a bit more length, Jeff. Welcome back. Semester break?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Just the opposite, John. We're in the last two week stretch before exams. That means I sorta have to relax a bit to catch my wind before madness sets in. I'll be finished (more or less) with all my work for the semester by Valentine's Day.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Dec 3, 2007, jaynet wrote:
Red dwarf, Black Adder RULE!!!

Red Dwarf went on too long. I think the ending was labored.

Black Adder I, II and III were excellent. Black Adder IV (World War I) just didn't impress me.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
Bewitched
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Family Ties
Nashville
Saturday Night Live
Veronica Mars -- one of the best shows for mentalists
gypsyfish
View Profile
Veteran user
383 Posts

Profile of gypsyfish
The Avengers (Steed and Emma)

The Saint (Roger Moore)

The Wonder Years

The Wire

Justified
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Today I would pick Avatar: The Last Airbender
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I haven't read every word, but I don't believe anyone has mentioned the spy series of the seventies, Minder. It starred Edward Woodward, and was gritty and very well written. A masterpiece.

I also really enjoyed the original BBC version of Brideshead Revisited.
Overworked
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of Overworked
My favorite shows through the years were:
Dick Van Dyck
Mary Tyler Moore
MASH
Breaking Bad
Seinfeld
Bob Newhart
Cheers
Frazier
Better Call Saul
The Prisoner
The HoneyMooners
Twilight Zone
Law and Order
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Can't beat these (filmed in glorious black and white, with superb writing, cinematography, directing and acting):

Naked City
Route 66
Peter Gunn
Twilight Zone
Alfred Hitchcock Presents
The Avengers (British)
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
The Fugitive
The Outer Limits
Kung Fu
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Then Came Bronson

Paper Chase

Mad Men

Weeds
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Weeds was great for the first 3 seasons but after the fire it kinda jumped the shark for me.
Love all the oldies but I vote for "The Simpsons".
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I vote a tie between South Park and Family Guy. Between the two of them, no one is left unoffended at least twice Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
I forgot:

Barney Miller.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2016, karnak wrote:
I forgot:

Barney Miller.

Who couldn't love the character "Fish" played by Abe Vigoda?
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL