The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I tend to discover series after they are off the air, the only things I watch now that are being made is Monk, Psych, Boston Legal....and the greatest show ever but wasn't really written and thus not qualified for this question, Reno911. I still have never seen Friends, saw Seinfield once and hated it, or any other main stream shows. I also didn't watch anything from 79 to 87 cuz, well, I was drunk and capturing yound ladies (rather than just chasing them). I didn't even have a TV until I got married.
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
I don't usually watch t.v., but when I do it is either King of the Hill, South Park, Boondocks or family guy. (someone mentioned futurama, I used to watch it all the time. there is a rumor going around that there will be a movie and then it will have a couple more seasons, however, this is just a rumor)
Have you Amazed?
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The Simpsons is definitely the best TV show in the history of television.
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Cheers, All In The Family
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Ya know, I've never heard of over half the shows mentioned, are a lot of them UK type shows?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 23:18, rossmacrae wrote:
Does anybody else go back, umpty years later, to shows they found "awesome" in their youth, and viewing them again you wonder what you ever saw in this dreadful garbage?

Adventures of Robin Hood (my childhood favorite, the one with Richard Greene) holds up well, but I remember finding the archival Mickey Mouse Clubs (briefly brought back in the early 80s) breathtakingly bad. I can't watch too many of the old Twilight Zone episodes without wondering where my brain was during their initial run (those that hold up, though, are still stunning). Bought Season 3 of Have Gun Will Travel at the urging of my younger son - watchable, literate, but ... how can a half-hour drama be so darned SLOW?

Oh absolutely. Have the Richard Greene series on DVD watch it frequently, get a charge when as a kid I never realized what I did as an adult. The whole series was filmed in a very few weeks. They used like two sets, a few outside shots that repeated frequently, and mostly brought in different stock actors to do most of the show, with Greene popping in for a few shots in each show. Filmed more than one at a time with Greene popping from set to set to do his bit.
Also have Annie Oakley, Gale Davis was great in it, inspite of thin veiled re-written Gene Autry scripts.
Of course the Lone Ranger.
And the absolute must, The Adventures of Superman. I always thought George played me best. Smile
Burns and Allen, Topper, and the Master in You Bet Your Life (still wondering how he got all that Mrs. Badonivic stuff past the censors.
And can we possibly forget Sir Roger Moore as Ivanhoe?
Ah, those were the days!
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Cheety
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne
190 Posts

Profile of Cheety
Blackadder and Seinfeld
Mostly Harmless ^_^
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
X-Files
I really felt that it was a very high quality show. Most episodes could stand alone, yet there was always a supblot running.
It was not my favourite show of all times, but one that holds it's own very well.
My fave shows would probably be Lexx, Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Xena.
But for the most part, they were fluff (Buffy had some amazing moments though...)
Gwyd the Geek (And not in the sideshow kinda way this time)
jaynet
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of jaynet
Red dwarf, Black Adder RULE!!!
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1297 Posts

Profile of GlenD
Some good ones mentioned for sure. I have all 3 seasons of Kung Fu that have been released to dvd.
I would add (and surprised to find not mentioned yet) The Three Stooges, Bonanza, and Fantasy Island. Wonder Woman should get special mention for obvious reasons. LOL

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I think you can make a strong case for All in the Family. I'm glad I lived in a pre-PC world that permitted its airing; it wouldn't stand a chance today.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
The Munsters and F Troop.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 12:31, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I think you can make a strong case for All in the Family. I'm glad I lived in a pre-PC world that permitted its airing; it wouldn't stand a chance today.

It's in re-runs here in Canada still. It had vanished for a while because of the PC movement which was silly when you see what the show is really about. Many misunderstand it as a racist show but its really about the ignorance of bigotry. Probably one of the best written shows on television ever.

Best,

Tim
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I was always partial to the original series of "The Fugitive" and "Mission Impossible." The Fugitive sparked a bit of humanity in my dealings with people as a police officer - I felt it was as much my obligation to find proof of innocence as well as guilt - largely because of that series, I think. The ludicrous plots of the early Mission Impossible series taught deductive reasoning as I tried to unravel the plot twists before the end of each show.

Kung Fu taught some very basics truths in life that I still remember to this day. Thank goodness for the Grasshoppah and the lessons that we learned together. But then, I was a rabid fan of "The Prisoner" too.

The there were the lessons of justice, integrity, humility, family unity, community support and plain old common humanity taught by Pa Cartwright and his boys on "Bonanza." Visiting Virginia City and the Ponderosa Ranch at Lake Tahoe are very memorable points in my life.

Tough call!!!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-03 13:02, Timothy Drake wrote:
Many misunderstand it as a racist show but its really about the ignorance of bigotry. Probably one of the best written shows on television ever.

Best,

Tim

Wanted to post this but lost the ability to edit by the time I found it. Here is one of my favorite clips and one of the most famous. Enjoy! http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RL9eWbgCCog

Best,

Tim
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1462 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Fawlty Towers and Frasier.
"But there isn't a door"
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 16:26, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-02 13:59, stoneunhinged wrote:
Corona, I had never heard of the Prisoner. I just read the Wikipedia article, and it sounds excellent, indeed.

It was very good but the whole premise was that you went along with the ride mainly to find out what was really going on and who was behind everything. The series finale was something out of "Twin Peaks" and made no sense at all to me. I don't think it ever really explained who was behind the plot to keep him on the island. I was a kid when I watched so maybe he ending was just to twisted for me.

Best,

Tim

I think part of its charm is it was probably written as it unfolded off the cuff, the ending was excellent I think. Especially when No 1 is finally revealed and the Beatles kick in, won't say more for fear of spoiling it. But its well worth checking out for all those who like myself were not born the first time round.

I think the ending is kind of spiritual / philosophical really, and very much in keeping with the tide that was sweeping the young people of the day. It is very English though, and some of it perhaps does not translate too well to Americanese.

Would also cast a vote for Dr. Who, at its best it is still excellent sci fi satire.
I also loved Kung Fu as a kid, though I haven't seen it since then.

Worzel Gummidge (first two series) also stands the test of time.

Corona.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1358 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Fawlty Towers,Scrubs and The Wonder Years Smile
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4788 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Honeymooners, The Judy Garland Show, I Love Lucy, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, My So-Called Life, The Defenders

Guilty pleasures: Perry Mason, Columbo
McAllisterMagic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of McAllisterMagic
Cant forget Monty Python And The Flying Circus!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The best series in the history of television is... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..11~12~13 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL