We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » I've got John Carney's ''The Book of Secrets!'' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
The long awaited Carney book hit my mailbox today.

Anybody had it long enough to make some recommendations?

Thanks.....
Steve
mysticz
View Profile
Special user
D.C. metro area
680 Posts

Profile of mysticz
In my opinion, Secrets is the most important book on the examination and refinement of sleight-of-hand magic to be published in the last 25 years. It is thoughtful, well organized, masterfully written, and beautifully produced. John Carney's Secrets is a great read and a wonderful resource.

Joe Z.
Joe Zabel
"Psychic Sorcery"

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

-- Shakespeare's Hamlet I.v. 174-175
Fabius
View Profile
New user
Germany
79 Posts

Profile of Fabius
A short review: I love that book! Thanks for writing it!
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4930 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Just got it in the mail yesterday. My initial reaction after staying up to 3 in the morning giving it a first read. Excellent! Well worth the wait.

Mark Smile
What would Wavy do?
Gerben
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
36 Posts

Profile of Gerben
I've got a question regarding the Book of Secrets.
What is the real reason that makes it so excellent for everybody? I've read quite a lot about it, but I couldn't find the answer yet.

Is it because this book will stimulate your creativity, or is it because the explained tricks will make you think more about your own tricks (like the Books of Wonder), or is it because the tricks are described in excellent detail, and you can therefore use those tricks in the way they were supposed to be?

In other words, will you perform the tricks that are described in this book, or will you use the theory behind the tricks to improve your own magic?

Thanks,

Gerben
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Everything you mention is there Gerben. Unlike the Books of Wonder, John's routines seem less intimidating. I have yet to see the first magician who performs a routine from Tommy Wonder's books (and makes a good job out of it;-). But Carney has some things that are very tempting to learn try and "assimilate".
Both magicians AND their books are among my personal top 5!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Mind you, I'm in the midst of using my work day to read through it. . .but it seems that it is really about how you think about magic. Don't get me wrong, there are great effects in this book, but I'm really fascinated by John's approach and thinking about magic. Also the way he encourages the reader to examine how we think about magic. I'm a theory junky, and recovering philosopher though. What do I know. Just like the book. . .alot.
Smile Mark
What would Wavy do?
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Hi Dan,
you have the book ?
I'm been waiting forever for mine. How long ago did you get yours, and how long does it take to ship books from America ?
Has anyone in England a copy or is it just me waiting ?
Edie

I can't believe I spelt my name wrong.
It`s this books fault.
Terry
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Terry
You also spelt spelt wrong!!

Smile
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I'll try not to misspell!

Was curious as to how Carney's book compares to The Art of Astonishment. I have one volume (or volume one), and was going to get a second volume (volume two). Now I am considering taking a look at the Carney book. I'd appreciate any comparisons of the two by those of you who have read them both.
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Hi Edie:-)
I don't know how long shipping takes.
I received my copy because I currently keep a supply for his lecture/performance at FISM 2003 at my home, which is 5 minutes from the congres centre.
But he has them in stock now and I'd guess between 5 and 10 days...

Comparing AOA and Book of Secrets to me is like comparing Beatles with Metallica. They both rock...that's all
John's book has a more classic style for what it's worth. Maybe his tone is a little more serious...
Again, two totally different styles, from two great magicians/thinkers.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Gerben
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
36 Posts

Profile of Gerben
Okay I'm convinced, I ordered it.
Unfortunately the book will be shipped surface to Holland, so it will take about 6 weeks to arrive Smile
Shipping by airmail would have costed me another 18 dollars, I thought that was a bit too much.
On the other hand... 6 weeks is a loooong time
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
OK, I can finally brag - I just got the Deluxe Signed Edition (#99 of 100) - It has been worth every minute of the wait I had to endure while you guys were reading it and gushing over it- (It is gushworthy) Mr. Carney has set yet another standard in magical publications!

For the last two days, I've been reading the "Legends" chapters and today I plan on spending some quality time with my new "toy"

Has anyone had ANY complaints over this book - I can find nothing at all to detract from the quality of Mr. Carney's book,

I think we could start a mini-forum just on this book and it's content

Dave
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I am very interested in getting this book.
However, does the content resemble at all the content in Ortiz'z "Strong Magic". Based on your posts, it seems like the same kind of stuff. Does Carney have a different approach? Does he make the same points that are in Strong Magic? How do the two books compare and contrast?

I will probably get it regardless of what people say, but any kind of help would be appreciated.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
In my opinion, The Book Of Secrets is very different in approach and methodology of explanation compared to Strong Magic. The subtitle of The Book of Secrets, Lessons In Classic Conjuring provides some insight into the structure and style of this book. Each chapter is a complete lesson in the art of magic. These lessons encompass all of the details of the techniques as well as the necessary nuances of misdirection associated with them. Visit John Carney’s website:
http://www.carneymagic.com for more details. Do both of these books have the same message? Yes. Make every attempt to continually improve your magic, as it deserves nothing but your best effort!
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1779 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I do not agree with Ian but only because I feel we are looking at it from two differant directions. The Book of Secrets to me seems to have more practicle working information & less theory or opinion then Strong Magic. I would recomend both books to anyone but Carney's seems to deal with real world application where Ortiz's seems to deal with one man's idealology but both will make you go hmmmm.
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Hi Tom,
I totally agree with your statement that The Book of Secrets has far more practical information than Strong Magic. I was trying to say this by noting that they were both very different in their approach. The Book of Secrets explains all of the techniques necessary to actually perform an effect. Perhaps methods or physical procedures would have been a better choice of words rather than technique. From my perspective the "theory" in The Book Of Secrets is interspersed within the explanations and as such is a vital part of them.
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1477 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Tom and Ian,
Strong Magic is not about theory: It's about techniques to make your magic stronger. Consequently the book is filled to the rim with "practical information". It's a misunderstanding that Strong Magic is a theory book just because it doesn't contain trick explanations.
Maestro
View Profile
Special user
816 Posts

Profile of Maestro
Can anybody give a description of a few of their favorite effects from the book? Are they all his take on classic plots?

By the way, his website is http://www.carneymagic.com , not johncarney.com .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » I've got John Carney's ''The Book of Secrets!'' (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL