The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » If you could go back in time... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Lucy
View Profile
New user
Alabama
26 Posts

Profile of Lucy
I don't think I would change a thing. I have the best of all possible worlds for an aspiring magician. I married one.

I met Bob, Sanders that is, about eight years ago, and he took me to a magic convention, and I was hooked. Wonder of wonders, he had all the STUFF as well as all the expertise. All I had to do was think up what I wanted to do and he would instruct me on what to use and how to use it. For awhile it was fun to just think up impossible things and try to stump him. I finally gave that up when I realized that I was dealing with a wizard.

I'll never forget telling him that I really needed some red Chinese sticks to make my routine flow. I expected to have to go somewhere shopping. Bob just answered in a very off hand way, "Go up to the attic and look for the box labeled STICKS AND WANDS". I did, and there were the red Chinese Sticks. So much for the shopping trip. It was my attic,by the way. That's real magic.

Lucy
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
I would find Slydini and beg him to teach me! And yes, buy and READ more books on Magic!
The Magical World of Jardini
Dan Magyari
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco, CA
173 Posts

Profile of Dan Magyari
Notes to self (given what you now know about magic):

Slow down.

Magic has the potential to be art. So, it must be approached as such.

Figure out what interests you, then seek out as soon as possible a teacher like: Bob Fitch, Eugene Burger or Jeff McBride, or someone else who will help bring out the unique qualities that only you possess.

Practice mindfully one-maybe two effects (for a long time), immediately incorporating basic theatre skills (in your practice) as they may apply to your interpretation of the effect or effects that you are studying. Of course, any good teacher will be providing you with the guidance and tools to develop a strong foundation from the very beginning of your study. Any magic you make should express who you are - at least as a starting point.

Surround yourself at every opportunity with people who are of a like mind. You will trust them to criticize your work in a way that will enable you to blossom as a performer. Fire any of your acquaintances who are not brutally honest with you – your art is at stake here.

After a year or two or three, start performing. You will have been preparing carefully for some time, with the guidance of a teacher and others you have entrusted in helping you develop your vision, so your performances will likely be strong from the very beginning. Continue this process until you take your last breath on earth – never be satisfied.

Stay away from any and everyone who does not understand this, or you will not have a chance at creating art.

Should you decide not to develop your study of magic artistically, then by all means hang out with any and everyone and practice magic as is typical of this age we now live in (buy lots of magic DVDs and tricks, especially those that are currently the most popular). Immediately after watching your new DVD or obtaining your new trick, go out and perform it.

Only you can decide what path you choose.
Everything you do -- everything -- has your signature on it. Regardless of whether you intend it that way or not. And that's how people perceive you.-George Ledo
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
Very much true to the above! Most magicians have a whole lot of effects, but only a few know one or two really well!
Dan, your post is so very True!
The Magical World of Jardini
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Sounds like we need H. G. Wells. But I must agree with all of you nice people...books, books, books. I was always told that, too. Tricks later. And I've sold some, too.
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
Tell myself that it's not the what you're doing but what your audience THINKS you're doing.

Also, more books and less tricks.
The method is not the secret.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Austin,

You make a very important point. It's what the audience sees and believes that makes a magic show magic. They never ask "What did all this stuff cost?" They ask "How did you do that?".

Learn the effects long before buying props.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
I would inform myself of the loads of money that could be made by
having a camera crew follow me around on the street doing outragous
magic to people who HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TRICK, AND HAVE NEVER MET
ME BEFORE.
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
I would tell myself that it is better and wiser to master a few "miracles" than to be mediocre at many "tricks."

Learn that presentation (patter, storyline) is just as important or even more important than the effect itself.

Just my $0.02
Dante_Ravenkin
View Profile
New user
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
90 Posts

Profile of Dante_Ravenkin
I would have told myself not to stop doing magic for 4 years. Biggest regret ever!
'For Those Who Believe, No Explanation is Necessary. For Those Who Do Not, None Will Suffice.' - Joseph Dunninger

~Kirk~
DoveLover
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of DoveLover
Record whatever I felt after watching EVERY single magic effect. Now I forget how I felt about many tricks, were they impressive or ridiculous? did it totally shock me or not? The record will help you know much more about laymen and needless to say, improve you magic.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Great advice from everyone. I appreciate it. I have focused on building my collection of classic books - tarbell, 13 steps to mentalism, card college, etc..

Im finding I really enjoy Jay Sankey's DVDs alot!
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20522 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Perhaps the time to consider magic beginnings is right after the discovery of "the earth cooled...".

Magic is visual. The art is making it appear to others.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
clarissa35f
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of clarissa35f
Don't spend your Kennedy half Dollars.
Get some books or DVD's on Rope and Stage Magic.
Buy Jeff McBride's manipulation DVD's as soon as they become available. 7 years of card production and vanish experience is something I would love to have. Smile

Look for alternate sources, Tannen's is not the only magic shop. Online stores rock.

Instead of getting tricks, invest more in knowledge. I bought items like pen through dollar, brainwave deck, etc... I could have bought books or DVD's instead.

Start using the TT. ( I still am afraid of using the TT in public. Although I have started practicing the Bill Switch, so there is hope, and I am flashing the thing while looking at a mirror to try and gain a natural flash that still does not..umm..flash).

Look into IT. ( I still haven't really explored this... looking into it soon.)
“Amateurs practice until they get it right.
Professionals practice until they can’t get it wrong.” <Anonymous>
"There is no such thing as magic, there is no other way that could have been done" <Whit Haydn>
spatlind
View Profile
Special user
still moving
863 Posts

Profile of spatlind
Would have saved for Tarbell..
Actions lie louder than words - Carolyn Wells

I believe in God, only I spell it Nature - Frank Lloyd Wright.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » If you could go back in time... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL