The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Constructing a Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Hey I'm thinking about doing my first show at the library soon, and I have a question:

How should I plan the show? I mean what tricks to start with, continue with, and end with. I'm not asking for specific tricks, just what kind. Thanks! ^.^
zeitgeistmovie.com will enlighten you. Trust me Smile
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Open with a "bang", something to really get their attention and let them know you're a magician. Then follow up with the middle, then finish with a strong closer. Is that vague enough??

Jim
magicalmike
View Profile
New user
somewhere and everywhere
28 Posts

Profile of magicalmike
Whell what tipe of audince are you preforming for, age group ex cetra? That is one of the key things to consider. Also is there a theme or anything else? A little more infromation could be a lot more helpfull.
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 18:35, magicalmike wrote:
Whell what tipe of audince are you preforming for, age group ex cetra? That is one of the key things to consider. Also is there a theme or anything else? A little more infromation could be a lot more helpfull.

It's probly going to be a lot of children, (9-12 years old)and their parents, and no theme particularly.
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Thanks Jimhlou! a little vauge, yes. ^.^
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Kid's generally like to be involved, so anything that has helpers will be great. Of course this means that you have to worry about a kid grabbing something and running away with it, so "audience management" is something to worry about.

Some kids don't know about playing cards so if you do any card tricks, make sure that they show the card to the entire audience so that if they forget what card they have chosen, or don't remember that funny looking thing is a "club".

Keep the plot simple.

There are a bunch of books and DVD's out there about magic for kids. Also check out the "LIttle Darlings" section of The Café.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Quote:
On 2007-12-04 19:02, marty.sasaki wrote:
Some kids don't know about playing cards so if you do any card tricks, make sure that they show the card to the entire audience so that if they forget what card they have chosen, or don't remember that funny looking thing is a "club".

Haha! Thanks! I've had that problem many times before! =^.^=
mike256
View Profile
New user
Oregon
23 Posts

Profile of mike256
I just did my first show for my sons 4th birthday at a local pizza parlor.
it went off pretty well. I did one card trick. it was the thank you card illusion
from mark wilsons book. I had him show his card to everybody and mommy helped him remember the card.
DMG
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of DMG
Also, if you use volunteers - make sure they understand the direcions you give. I did a bunch of tricks for teenagers at Thanksgiving and they had a hard time following directions, remembering cards, etc. Not sure if that was more my fault or what but it messed up a couple of my tricks.
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 12:20, DMG wrote: I did a bunch of tricks for teenagers at Thanksgiving and they had a hard time following directions, remembering cards, etc.

Ya the same thing happens to me. I show tricks to kids at lunchtime and a lot of times they forget the card they choose.

Talk about adapting your act. Now I know to speed things up while the card is still fresh in their mind! ^.^
Ray_Mago
View Profile
New user
Rio Rancho
82 Posts

Profile of Ray_Mago
The thing is, when performing for my fellow classmates in high school, you'll get the kids who think you are amazing, and then the kids who will be complete ***H013$. What you need to be careful of is that you pick the kids that are good, not the bad ones, because they will want to ruin your tricks, also pick A LOT of girls, easy way to make a trick more amazing.
Have you Amazed?
Ethereal
View Profile
New user
Dear Valley, AZ
57 Posts

Profile of Ethereal
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 17:40, Ray_Mago wrote:
The thing is, when performing for my fellow classmates in high school, you'll get the kids who think you are amazing, and then the kids who will be complete ***H013$. What you need to be careful of is that you pick the kids that are good, not the bad ones, because they will want to ruin your tricks, also pick A LOT of girls, easy way to make a trick more amazing.

HAHA! SO TRUE! They don't try to figure it out or anything! They just get really excited when you finish! ^.^
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Dear friend,
So much can be said. But please do yourself a favor, like I did many moons ago and it's still available, get MAGIC AND SHOMANSHIP. It is the best book, I think.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Quote:
On 2008-01-18 12:43, donrodrigo wrote:
Dear friend,
So much can be said. But please do yourself a favor, like I did many moons ago and it's still available, get MAGIC AND SHOMANSHIP. It is the best book, I think.

Ya, great book! I also like Seriously Silly by David Kaye. A ton of great material in there! I am pretty sure he just released a DVD with the same contents as the book.

Etheral, I am not sure I quite understand your original question. You don't want specific tricks, but are you looking for suggestions as to the type of tricks to use (Comedy, gospel, bizarre, grand illusion <Or> cards, silks, coins, etc).

I like to use a dove pan, usually making a mess and then the end result is a pan full of goodies. Keep it simple and use the audience, get them involved whether they are coming up to help or just yelling something.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I agree with Jmhlou. Start with a musical piece and open with a bang. Establish yourself as a magician. I would also include effects which will appeal to the adults as well as the children. If there will be adults present, you want to entertain them slightly (hey, they're the ones that will be hiring you for THEIR kids birthday parties!). So, effects like Hippity Hop Rabbits, etc would work well. It has aa sucker ending that even adults won't see coming.

Sine your show is in a library, why not promote education and reading? The librarians and parents will appreciate it. Maybe theme your show to "learning." The Library Card trick would be PERFECT for this occasion.

Just my two cents.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Robin Z
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Robin Z
Kids love visual magic. Sponge balls and silks are perfect. Nothing gets them quite as excited as a couple of good vanishes.

Since the kids are 9-12 I feel that they'd be capable of appreciating card tricks as well. Try an ACR with a funny patter, I'm certain they'll love it.

As already mentioned spectator involvement is also very fun for kids, but you have to watch out and have very good audience magic. If you don't think you're up to keeping them controlled I suggest you don't take the risk.

And last but not least, be funny. Everybody likes laughing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Constructing a Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL