The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Blow on it!"... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kazam65
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of kazam65
Greetings everyone Smile

When I perform the magic coloring book trick to children I have them think of a rainbow and then blow on it. Of course they're amazed when they have changed the coloring book. Of course then they blow on it too hard and it goes blank. But it really got me thinking about the MULTITUDE of germs that are on that thing! I have used this coloring book for a good while now and have had children numbering in the hundreds blowing on that thing! UUUUCHHHH!!!

Do any of you have a child blow on something in order to make the magic happen? I have tried the coloring book other ways but it just seems that kids enjoy blowing on it more than anything else.

What do you think?
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
For BP I have the kids blow on "magic" a lot. Yes, I worry about germs and use a lot of hand sanitizer too. I like as much interaction as possible.

Also, when I did balloons, I found kids liked to grab them before I blew them up. I got sick a lot - duh.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2407 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
The "blow on it - harder - harder - HARDER - whoops!" bit was the best misdirection I ever had for a thumbtip vanish, but when I quit using it my regular series of colds and flu just plain ended. Sad to lose a "perfect routine," not sad to lose the colds.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You might like to try this slightly "safer" method - have all the kids blow at the colouring book from where they're sitting. They create such a gale that you get knocked backwards. Always gets a laugh for me, and you're nowhere near their "germs".
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Yes I have done that as well as using it on the end of the balloon that "pops to the top of the tail."

These days I am more silly or scawy noise oriented...

Next summer Catch the Reading Bug...will include...

Tis the season to wash your hands...(I say the alphabet song backward...) A combination of volunteering at children's hospital and a David Ginn idea...

That way I get a gag and a public service announcement..(It's two mints er shows in one...)

Some stores are selling stuffed germs..(ala cute animals that aren't so cute..)

harri3s
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Potty, that is a GREAT idea - it blows me away!*G*
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
Does the "blowing" approach seem to work better than having the kids throw colors at the book?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2407 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Quote:
On 2007-12-05 03:21, Potty the Pirate wrote:
You might like to try this slightly "safer" method - have all the kids blow at the colouring book from where they're sitting. They create such a gale that you get knocked backwards. Always gets a laugh for me, and you're nowhere near their "germs".

I never let them get close, they blew from where they were sitting - the germs still made their way to me.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
Blowing individually and collectively and all the associated gags have been working for children's entertainers since long before I was born. However, blowing at Christmastime is to be avoided, in the UK at least.

There so many coughs ad sneezes and dreaded diseases at this time of year that catching something from the little wretches is very common. Having that lot blowing fit to bust and directly at you makes the likelihood of going down with a dose of something almost inevitable.

So in December around the schools and other events, blowing is dropped in my show and I think it makes a difference. Can't actually prove anything of course, but let's say I've eliminated one likely source and I feel reassured.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4617 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
You have the kids throw the colours at the book, then when you go to show them the colours, the book is "stuck". So the kids have to blow at the book to dry the paint.
Tony, you're probably right to drop the blowing at Christmas. In fact I very, very rarely use the colouring book, even in my flat-pack shows, because EVERY other entertainer round here uses it to death. I once saw another entertainer do 20 minutes with the colouring book, then his show was curtailed because he'd started late. So his whole show was just the colouring book......rather dull for the kids, I thought.
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
I remember buying some props off Jim Breedon, just along the coast from you Potty. He got to 65 and decided to retire and sell up, just like that.

I said "But won't you miss it."

And he replied "I won't miss having the 'flu every Christmas!"

I think most children's entertainers will know exactly what he meant.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
Mikael Eriksson
View Profile
Inner circle
None of your business
1064 Posts

Profile of Mikael Eriksson
I'll let them blow on professor's nightmare, and I do many things where there is physical contact with the childrens hands and faces. I practacally never get colds or flu.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think "blowing" can be done if you are conscious of germs or getting sick. If you wash your hands or use hand santixer, this can certainly help. However, I would not be totally be dependent on the "blowing" aspect as the only means in which to interact and have fun. There are so many other ways to get the kids involved with the magic that does not require that. For example:

- Waving their fingers at the effect while saying a silly magic word
- Using a comedy magic wand to tap the prop to make the magic happen
- just saying a silly magic word on the count of 3
- Using a comedy prop and saying it is a wand (like a rubber chicken or a giant toothbrush)

The list goes on and on but these give alternative ideas to how you can engage the kids in an interactive fashion if you feel blowing is not the right thing for you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Sniff, sniff. I ain't afraid of no cold!

I have a 5 y/o, so getting sick is somewhat unavoidable. Tony does makes a strong argument. I will reevaluate my winter BP show. Thanks Tony.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
This is just my own take on it, but I'd guess "blowing" doesn't put out too many more germs than talking would. Also, I would guess that those germs can't stay alive for very long ... can they?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
It is a good point Starr. One would just assume that blowing on a hand or prop would put forth a lot of germs but then again, I am certainly not a scientist and have no idea if that is all that true or not. It certainly would be an interesting study nonetheless.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1815 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Strictly off the top of my head . . .

Blowing is much more directional than talking, thus it could be expected that something that is blown upon would have a higher amount of germs than the surroundings.

Blowing is more vigorous, and so is more likely to dislodge particulate matter.

Blowing can provoke coughing, which is even more vigorous.

Blowing is most often done "close-up" putting props and magicians more at risk.

Also, germs can stay "alive" in a dormant state a very long time.
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I use vanishing crayons. Still won't keep you from getting kid cooties though.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
ALASKA MAGIC
View Profile
New user
Fairbanks, Alaska
23 Posts

Profile of ALASKA MAGIC
I also use vanishing crayons, but I ask the kids to take some color off of their clothes and throw them into the coloring book while waving their fingers and saying the crazy magic sound. Huge audience participation and no spit on you or your book. Clean props are great. Staying healthy is even better.
Lori
BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE!
richards
View Profile
New user
Brian Richards
82 Posts

Profile of richards
I've been wanting to add to this thread, but I've been under the weather for the last three weeks....
Brian Richards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » "Blow on it!"... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL