The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Shimada videos on billiard balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Can anyone comment on these and tell me where I can obtain them? I would like to know which is the best video of his for billiard ball manipulation? Does anyone have a video they are willing to part with?

While I am at it, how are his thimble manipulations?

FC
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Steven's Magic Emporium sells the videos. I have the video in question. I am going to hold onto it for two reasons. One -historical and two - there are some good moves on them. I would suggest, however, if you want to learn manipulation of billiard balls (in video format) you would be better served in getting Jeff McBride's 3 Volume Manipulation Series. You will get much more. You will get thimbles on this series too, as well as coins. Highly recommended.

Steven
Coram Deo
Zauber280
View Profile
New user
Long Island, NY
67 Posts

Profile of Zauber280
The Shimada video is great, but a little intimidating. The video I have features some cigarette manipulation, plenty of billiard ball stuff and a little material with card manip. I think it should be in every manipulator's library, but doesn't stand well alone as a learning aid. Shimada doesn't start with the basics, he just launches into teaching you the routine. There are some crazy hard moves on there and he doesn't go into much detail about them. Get the McBride vids first and the Shimada vid later to supplement and enrich your technique. McBride even recommends on the tape that you look at other manipulators' work, but his tapes along with the well known card vids will continue to be THE starting point for manipulation for a long time to come.

Have fun!
--
Joel

"In this age, which believes that there is a short cut to everything, the greatest lesson to be learned is that the most difficult way is, in the long run, the easiest."

-Henry Miller
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I am going to get Shimada tape...Its a must for myself as a manipulator ...By the way shimada is a grand manipulator in Japan.
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I would agree with Symmatrix, Shimada is a very disciplined grand manipulator. The grace and beauty of his skills are a sight to behold. The Shimada tape is well worth having. The quality of the production is not that great, but the content more than makes up for the negatives. I like his simple and elegant aproach to manipulation. His technical skills are superb and his knowledge of the presentation of sleight of hand is equally superb.
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
I apologize for being unclear in my first post. I meant which Shimada video was the best? I have been through a lot of other material (including the ones suggested). I have heard people talk about "the Shimada video", but what is the name of this video? I know he has 3 lectures and the one Steven's carries is the third lecture. Is that the best one for ball manipulation? How about thimbles? I know some other shops carry numbers one and two. Any comments as to which of these is best?

FC
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I can only comment on the manipulation video. I haven't see the dove video. I refer to my prior post.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi FCpreacher:

The video you're looking for is available from Stevens' Magic Emporium and is part of their "Greater Magic Video" series. The Shimada videos (manipulation and dove work) were two of the first in GMV series.

I used to have the manipulation video (sold it on ebay). The billiard ball segment is the best thing on it - Shimada does some remarkable things with the Billiard Balls.

The thimble part was okay. I've never liked the thimbles, but his work with them was good. I remember his ending where his wife brings out a balloon. Shimada pops it with his hands, and thimbles appear on all fingers and thumbs of both hands.

Hope this helps you.

Ron Reid
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Thanks, Ron. That is exactly the info I was looking for.

FC
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Hey,

The shimada videos are good. However if your new to it he doesn't really spend enough time on each of the sleights and doesn't really teach you everything. I do reckon theyre worth getting just for his flash from 1 to 4 its great

Sam
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
You might also like the Tim Wright DVD on multiplying billiard balls as well as the Charlie Frye DVD for other ideas.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Hey guys,

Do any of you know where abouts I could get that tim wright DVD

Thanks

Sam
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Shimada does however show some really nice ball and silk moves on the videos. I have used them in my own act for years.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Joel Howlett
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Joel Howlett
I highly recommend you get the DVD! What Shimada does with Billard Balls is just so good.
zombieboy
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut, USA
889 Posts

Profile of zombieboy
You can get the tim wright dvd from mymagic.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
In addition to the Greater Magic Videos (which were shot by Stevens Magic in the 1980s), Shimada also did some instructional videos in the 1990s (that were marketed by his ex-wife). Frankly, I am such a big Shimada fan, I would recommend all of the tapes!

Levent
FCpreacher
View Profile
Elite user
PA
439 Posts

Profile of FCpreacher
Shortly after my original post (way back in 2003) I picked up the Shimada videos on ball manipulation. I love them and have worked out one to four productions in both hands. It is a tremendous move and very surprising. But I never use shells in performance. Go figure.

Forrest Chapman
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
The Shimada videos are eally great. I especially love his moves he shows with the ball and silk. I employ some of those moves now in my own routine. However, like Forrest just said, I also have found my billiard ball routine becomeing very minimalist in nature. It is the fact that I know so many moves, but I feel I do not need to show every single move to convey the idea and create an entertainment value in the minds of the audience. In a way it becomes easier for them to grasp and understand what it is I am conveying to them. It is kind of weird how it all evolved over time.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I learned to do most of what was on those videos with German wooden balls (50mm). The two handed eight ball production was the hardest, but really made you feel like you'd accomplished something when you hit it the first time.

Dry hands with age have made me switch to Fakini's. I only have single sets of Fakini tournaments and golf balls, but I wish I had multiple sets and/or shells to give that old stuff a whirl. I bet they'd be easy to nail. Fakini's handle great for the 4 to 1 - 1 to 4 sequence. I just wish my Fakini's were bigger. My largest are 1.75", a bit small for some of that stuff. The roll from the palm across the back of the hand into the 4th position is easier when the diameter of the ball is better suited to the distance it has to travel across your hand. Something about more distance per revolution. Kind of like small diameter tires screwing up your gas milage. Smile

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I can do Shimada's one-handed 1 to 4 combination with 2" Fakini set. But when I tried it with a 2 1/4" set, I felt that the palmed ball flashed too much. So to me it's a fun move to do. But on stage it's just not a practical move for me, unless I used small balls (2" and under).

Levent
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Shimada videos on billiard balls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL