The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Those of you who perform exTROYdinary or have tryed.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Full Effect
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
257 Posts

Profile of Full Effect
One of my friends have been ranting about this routine for weeks. So I thought I'd try it out. It iss't a very difficult routine but there's a knacky move that I feel very uncomfortable with.

In the middle of the vanishing sequence. As you produce the second coin at the elbow at the same time you ditch the sh***ed coin on your collarbone or shoulder base.

I have a manuscript showing Troy doing it with a Tshirt on everytime I try the coin would fall right off and I get a funny feeling everytime I put it there. I tryed it with a collared shirt and slipping it behind the collar but the coin would fall down my shirt.

Its a beautifull routine but just that one move...errks me Smile

Do any of you have the same problem?
any solutions or advice?
"Running water never becomes stale, so keep flowing" - Immortal Dragon Bruce Lee
Tony
View Profile
Veteran user
Los Angeles
303 Posts

Profile of Tony
Works better if you close your collar button (better if you wear a tie). Otherwise, it rest right in front of my collar bone. If I remember correctly Troy might have mentioned that little movement should be made so that the coin won't fall off. I had this problem at first with loose shirts but after doing this routine a few dozen times the coin stays put--just remember not to move too much to unsettle the coin.
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
I've been working on ExTROYdinary, and I deposit the coin just behind my trapezoid muscle. Granted it is not a very large muscle, but hey, that's a whole other Oprah.
Anyway the coin stays there. I am not wearing a collared shirt, BTW, but I am wearing a suit jacket.
family/magic/music/life
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
It's Trapezius Muscle by the way. Make sure your collar is tight otherwise the coin will keep on falling. Also, make sure you are standing up straight.
Ed Oschmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Lake Worth FL
1022 Posts

Profile of Ed Oschmann
I saw Danny Archer lecture recently and he had an interesting idea that you might try. He had a bandaid on each shoulder that was kept down with duct-tape on the bottom of the bandaid, effectively creating a 'pocket' on each shoulder. This way he could produce and vanish coins while wearing a short sleeved shirt.
I hope this helps. Ed
mjb16
View Profile
Loyal user
Ossining, New York
208 Posts

Profile of mjb16
I have been working on the routine for a while now and it's a great routine. I have found with the behind the neck move, if you rest the coin on your skin instead of the clothing it won't move. Give it a try!!!

Hope it helps!

Cheers! Smile Smile Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
It also has to do with the particular anatomy of your shoulderline. Some people have a very straight (horizontal) trapezius muscle, others like me a more slanted line. We have to be a little more careful.
Most of the time the natural moisture of your skin will hold the coin(friction)
I don't know where the reference from the collarbone comes from for this is defenitely the wrong place to put the coin.
Indeed a buttoned collar works best to hold it, but takes a little more effort to retrieve.
I have done the routine many times with a T shirt. You have to use some bodyturns if you do, but it works perfect.

Troy's routine is one of my favorite stand up coinroutines at the moment. It opens up a whole scala of jazz moves and blends in perfectly with a 3 fly type routine.
It is perfect for adapting to your own style and is great for finding out your own little finesses and touches.

One tip from me: Try a Himber vanish for the second coin. It looks dead-clean!
Excellent stuff.
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Love the bandaid idea!!

freaking Mac Guyver!!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Can you place a small shim under your shirt, and use a mag coin? Smile
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Stedwick
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
73 Posts

Profile of Stedwick
I have only done this in a T-Shirt, and I just place the coin next to my neck. I have to turn a bit so my neck hides the coin, but other than that it works fine. If you hunch just a little it makes it easier.

I admit, when I read about the move I thought, "what on earth..."

But, hey, I really like the routine =)

Stedwick
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Did none of you ever do the Elbow, Knee and Neck routine from Daryl?
That was my first experience with the "move".
It was Troy however who made me see the possibilities.
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Lonnie,
Oops!
Eric

BTW, it's freaking McGyver...
family/magic/music/life
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
2001 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Try using some lotion on your neck area before you perform, the added moisture helps even a few hours after application. Hope this helps Smile
"Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Dan,

I still rock Daryl's routine. Try and keep that one on the down low. Not a lot fo people are doing it these days, but audiences think it is great.

Corey
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
While we're talking about this concealment, does anyone do the Richard Saunders routine combining it with the pen behind the ear? In it, you attempt to vanish a coin by tapping it with a pen. The Pen vanishes, then then coin. The coin reappears at one elbow, the pen reappears at the other, and then a dead battery (9 volt transistor or D or C cell) appears, explaining why the trick went wrong.

Is this in print somewhere?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Kainoa
View Profile
Elite user
NewArk, Delaware
424 Posts

Profile of Kainoa
My favorite moments in Troy's DVDs are during the performances when the camera can see the coin but the spectator's can't. It makes me simultaneously happy and nervous.

And I love Elbow, Knee, and Neck (or Ear)....Perhaps it's good practice for the Hooser routine?
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
BTW, sbasscase its MacGyver

-Jason
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
I'm gonna start a new thread on Elbow, Knee and Neck.
Not that this one is not interesting but than it is more clear where to find what.
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Almost-A-Magician
View Profile
Regular user
New England
158 Posts

Profile of Almost-A-Magician
Of those who perform this, who uses halfs? vs. dollars? I just started working on it with halves, just because I can handle them better. I suppose Dollars would be a bit more visual.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2004-01-15 16:08, Almost-A-Magician wrote:
I suppose Dollars would be a bit more visual.

Yes, for that very reason I would use dollars. Stand up flurry/multi-coin flurry type effects lend themselves well to the higher visability of dollars.
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Those of you who perform exTROYdinary or have tryed.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL