The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for Apocalypse Vol II - Please help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
perigonza
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of perigonza
Hi all,

First let me say hello, this is my first post. I'm Pedro and I write from Spain, sorry if my writing is not so good ;O) You have a great site with tons of information.

Now let me ask a question. I'm looking for the full Apocalypse collection, but vol II seems to be out of print (regular edition, no funds for any deluxe). Does anybody now of a place to buy this volume?

I would also be interested in buying the full set second hand (I do not know if this question is correct here, if not sorry, just delete it). If anybody is interested pm me.

Thanks in advance to you all and, once more, congratulations for your beautifull community.

Regards,

Pedro
pedro@esste.com
msc455magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Taipei, Taiwan
1523 Posts

Profile of msc455magic
Hi Pedro,

Welcome to the Café! If I were you, I would directly contact Harry Lorayne, the author of Apocalypse. Luckily, he is also a member at the Café. His screename is simply "Harry Lorayne."

Best of luck,
Charles
perigonza
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of perigonza
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 08:10, msc455magic wrote:
Hi Pedro,

Welcome to the Café! If I were you, I would directly contact Harry Lorayne, the author of Apocalypse. Luckily, he is also a member at the Café. His screename is simply "Harry Lorayne."

Best of luck,
Charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks, I'll do that. Any other source for the books (just in case ;O)?

Pedro
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8528 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Hi Pedro: I've answered your PM - hope I did it correctly - I'm a lousy computer person. I can be reached at my private email address:

Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
430 Posts

Profile of daver
As a proud owner of the full set, Pedro, my recommendation is to go for it and get the whole thing. It is a wealth of information (and no, I'm not just saying that because Harry popped in here ;-), but if you already have the others and just need Vol 2, it looks like dennymagic.com has it (at least listed) orderable from them. They may still have some stock. (A Google search on "Apocalypse Lorayne" will give you other references, some of which seem to have it listed but not orderable, some seem to have it for sale)

But again, if you're just trying to get some of Apocalypse, you're shortchanging yourself not getting them all. That's how I started - I was looking for one thing, so I got one volume. And once I saw it, I went out and got the others, and have not regretted it...

Dave
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
perigonza
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of perigonza
Hi Mr. Lorayne,

Thank you for the fast answer, I'll contact you privatelly.

It's delightfull to have people like you in the forum.

Hi Dave,

Actually I'm looking for the full set. All I've read about them is superb and want it all. I'm addicted to Paul Harris AOA and I'm looking for more books of the same quality. Apocalypse just seems to be perfect. BTW, anybody has more suggestions about similar books? I mean, similar to AOA in quality (I know is difficult ;O)

Pedro
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8528 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Pedro: Not difficult at all - LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, BEST OF FRIENDS, VOLUMES 1 and 3 (no more Vol. 2 available). Don't know about similar - how about better (in my biased and humble opinion - and the opinion of countless others). Best - HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
perigonza
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of perigonza
Quote:
On 2007-12-06 13:17, Harry Lorayne wrote:
Pedro: Not difficult at all - LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, BEST OF FRIENDS, VOLUMES 1 and 3 (no more Vol. 2 available). Don't know about similar - how about better (in my biased and humble opinion - and the opinion of countless others). Best - HARRY LORAYNE.

Hi!

Thanks for the advice. Actually I already have some of your books, including The classic collection and best of friends 1, as well as your DVDs, they are superb.

What I was meaning is books kind of like AOA in the sense of big recopilations of (in my opinion) very good material that I may be missing as my language is spanish (living in Spain) and I'm not very aware of the english editorial market.

Anyway, now that I'm on that nice forum I'll keep myself more up to date.

Pedro
Zap
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Zap
Richard Kaufman's Collected Almanac is EXACTLY what you're looking for.
daver
View Profile
Elite user
Jupiter, FL
430 Posts

Profile of daver
You know, what really gets me about the Apocalypse too, is that I was a teen in the mid 70's, and used to hang out quite often at Tannen's, where Harry would often show us amazing things, and I saw Apocalypse being sold and saw I could get it myself, and being of that age and limited financial resources, my (then) immature magic palette was to buy tricks/stuff/gimmicks as well as books of course, rather than subscribe to what would turn out to be a classic set of material.

I'm just glad later on I was able to find (and afford) to buy it, but wonder where my magic would be had my magic maturity level been a bit higher back then.

Oh well, 20-20 hindsight... ;-)

I am though, proud to say that after the "Amateur Magician's Handbook" at a local bookstore, my first 2 magic books were Royal Road to Card Magic, and Harry's Close Up Card Magic, which I still use to this day...
Dave

What's the difference between a magician and a deck of cards? A deck of cards has FOUR suits...
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Hola Pedro y bienvenudo a la Café!

I would offer some more suggestions for you. Apocalypse IS at the top of my list and I have posted many times that if hard times ever befell me and I had to sell my library, Apocalypse would NOT be sold.

Having said that, here are some suggestions that are still in print:

Hugard's Magic Monthly: A fantastic collection of magic totaling 2520 pages of some of the best magic from the 1940s through the mid 1960's. Available in hardbound editions and now also available digitally.

Pabular: Considered to be one of the most important magazines ever printed in Great Britain, this great publication, like Apocalypse and Hugard's Magic Monthly reads like a who's who in magic. It is available both in bound format and digitally. I advise getting the hardbound volumes but then I am a book lover! However, if money is tight, then the digital version is one third the cost of the bound edition.

The Jinx: One of the GREAT periodicals in all of magic, this was published by the legendary Ted Annemann. A wealth of great effects and Annemann's acerbic wit grace the pages of this work. Available in hardcover and digitally.

Phoenix and the New Phoenix: The Phoenix was the brainchild of Bruce Elliot and was published on a bi-weekly basis. It was succeeded by The New Phoenix, published by Jay Marshall, Don Tanner, and Karl Fulves. Available in hard cover and digitally.

The Sphinx: Arguably the most legendary of the American periodicals, the Sphinx ran from 1902 until 1953. It is one of the most complete resources of magic history of the first half of the 20th century. It is available in digital format. The Index alone is 540 pages and contains 14,000 entries - NOT including the SAM reports or articles about touring magicians.

Magic Wand: The British counterpart to the Sphinx and almost as large, this is available digitally and is a great resource, but be warned, there is no index. You have to just take a deep breath and dive in. You will be amply rewarded for your efforts.

The Gen: This is another great British magazine that was published by Harry Stanley. It is frequently referenced in the magic literature and at nearly 9,000 pages with a comprehensive index that weighs in at 125 pages by Dr. Michael Colley, you would have yet another great collection!

The Wizard: 3000 pages containing 945 effects, this ran concurrently with the later years of the Magic Wand

The TOPS: This has just been released by Todd Karr's Miracle Factory. The TOPS was published by the legendary Abbot's Magic and Novelty Co. in Colon, Michigan. The page count weighs in at over 8400! The TOPS was succeeded by The NEW TOPS and Mr. Karr has informed me that he will be releasing it in the near future.

There are MANY more periodicals I could mention, but I think I would like to suggest a small number of books in addition to the ones mentioned by other posters.

The Tarbell Course in Magic is an 8 volume set that is a veritable encyclopedia of magic ranging from close up magic to mentalism, escapes, and illusions plus some very good essays. Mr. Lorayne wrote volume seven and undertook the Herculean task of doing an index of the first seven volumes.

Greater Magic was published in 1938 and was written by John Northern Hilliard and Jean Hugard. It is one of the cornerstone books in magic, and until Stewart James in Print and The James File were published Greater Magic was the largest book ever written on magic. This book is out of print but rumours are rumbling that Richard Kaufman may be doing a reprint. Check the Genii forums to contact Mr. Kaufman. (He is an infrequent visitor here as well)

The Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic was written by Martin Gardner. It made its first appearance in multiple issues of Hugard's Magic Monthly and was subsequently published as a single book.

The Art of Close Up Magic is a two volume set written by Britain's Lewis Ganson. Both volumes contain a lot of gems. The first volume has no card magic at all but a wealth of close up magic with just about every other imaginable object one could hold in one's hand.

My Best was written by J.G. Thompson in the 1940's and has a nice selection of magic just waiting for you to bring it alive.

I think I will stop now. The above list is actually quite short and I do not want to upset any readers with anymore!!

Buenas suertes Pedro!!
Vlad
perigonza
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of perigonza
Hi Vlad,

Thankyou very much for your advice and the time to write it. They all look like great sources of magic, actually I have several of them and agree with you. I'll try to get some of those for my (evergrowing) library.

Pedro
sumit
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of sumit
Just to add a few more great ones

Ibidem
Chronicles
Epilogue
Legendary Kabbala
Legendary Hierophant

Sumit
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
If you live near Los Anegles, usually somebody will have a copy at the magic castle swap meet. in september I saw a guy who was selling all 4 books, years 1-20
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
All of Harry Lorayne's Books are Great, I have used his STOP effect for years and never fail to get a reaction! and I learned this when I was 18! not gonna say how old I am Now but it aint young!
The Magical World of Jardini
Medifro
View Profile
Inner circle
Miami
1248 Posts

Profile of Medifro
Apocalypse 2 has, in my opinion, one of the most under-used moves in all card magic. Harry Lorayne's The Ultimate Move.

You have a card on the table in any position, you move it to any part on the table, and you switch it.

I think I'm glad this volume is out of print, haha.

~ Feras
Xpilot
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
464 Posts

Profile of Xpilot
[quote]On 2007-12-19 06:01, Vlad_77 wrote:
The TOPS: This has just been released by Todd Karr's Miracle Factory. The TOPS was published by the legendary Abbot's Magic and Novelty Co. in Colon, Michigan. The page count weighs in at over 8400! The TOPS was succeeded by The NEW TOPS and Mr. Karr has informed me that he will be releasing it in the near future.[quote]
I'll get The New Tops just to read Senator Crandall's columns again.
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I think Harry's move is called The Ultra Move not The Ultimate Move.Bye the way I have Volumes 1 thru 3 and hope to get vol 4 eventually.As Harry said they are one of the best compulations of effects you can get.I got volumes 1 thru 3 at Mr. Magic's Magic shop in Little Rock Arkansas.You might try there.He has a big selection of everything magic.Good luck on your search.He's a very nice and helpful man and he also sponserded me with the IBM.Plus he has a very large backroom full of magic books.His name is Jim Henson,give him a try.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Rcitgo

There IS an Ultimate Move. It is not the same as the Ultra Move. The Ultimate Move was a cover item in Apocalypse.

Best,
Vlad
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
Could you tell me which vol of Apocalypse "The Ultimate Move is in.I might have missed it.There's just so much in those massive volumes.Thanks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for Apocalypse Vol II - Please help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL