The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Win A Free Magician" Contest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Hey Guys,

I’m primarily a children’s entertainer. I’m looking to get more leads and one way I’m thinking of doing it is to set up a draw box at a toy store I work at a couple times a week to supplement my magic income.

I was wondering if any one else has done a drawing for a free show and also what type of questions they have asked on the ballot forms. I’m just wondering what questions should/could be asked and if people have received positive feedback from said drawings.

Thanks, Ryan
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Hi Ryan -

I'm sure you will find the posts on this thread interesting. We discussed draws, and prizes, and entry forms:

--> Magic Café thread titled... Other Side of Trade Show

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I did this once to build my e-newsletter and direct market campaigns. I required the parent's name, mailing address, email address, child's first name and birthdate. The printed slips had a disclaimer laying out the rules of the drawing. The entries had a blurb about consenting to receive my monthly E-newsletter and a complimentary birthday card. The entries stated that the winner would be announced in the such-&-such date E-Newsletter.

I bought small cardboard "ballot boxes" from a local papergoods store and designed a series of full color labels to decorate each box. I placed the boxes with various retail and restaurant clients and displayed one whenever I performed. I emptied each box and replaced the empty entry pads weekly. It worked extremely well for me.

I mailed a copy of my "Parent's Birthday Party Planning & Survival Guide" booklet about six weeks before the child's birthday. Of course the booklet has my full-color ad on the back cover. I mailed a color birthday card bearing my caricature, a magic message and cut out magic trick out a week before the child's birthday - whether they were booked or not. No advertisement or promotional stuff - just a nice "Happy Birthday" message from me.

Unless you have something like the newsletter and direct marketing in place to make use of the names you collect - this will be a waste of your time.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Of course you'll phone everyone who fills out a slip - be prepared to get a lot of people hanging up in your face, but - hey - that's the telephone marketing biz.

Give out one free show to one winner (a "pocket-size" show if you wish, and don't let them abuse you - they stick to the date and time arranged).

And, like a good magician, only you know the real secret: everyone else wins, too ... they win second prize, which is a $25 (or $50 or whatever you choose) discount on a show. Justify the discount to yourself: divide your current advertising costs by the number of shows you do already, and that is the amount it costs you to get one show - I'll bet the discount amount suddenly doesn't look quite so large to you, once you look at it as an advertising expense.

If you don't want to be doing a bunch of discounted shows, you might even define the prize as a discount on a deluxe show only.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Ryan Price
View Profile
Special user
winnipeg, MB, Canada
641 Posts

Profile of Ryan Price
Thanks guys for the help so far, please keep it coming.

Everyone will definitely be receiving a discount on a show and will also be receiving a letter thanking them. They will also receive a years worth of newsletters. I’m planning on doing four this year, 2009 will probably see me sending out six.

I also like the idea of sending out a birthday card to the child even if they don’t book you. I may start this for all inquiries that I get the needed information but not the booking. To get this information from the ballot should I have two lines for child’s name, age, and birth date? This is in case they have two children in my target age group.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I'd suggest a different entry form for each child. How ya gonna handle a family with four or five kids in that age range?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » "Win A Free Magician" Contest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL