The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ethical Educational Entertainment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
At a recent gathering of children's entertainers who use all manner of ways to entertain children, the whole concept of trying to entertain children with magic was discussed. There appears to be, among educationalists, a growing belief that this is deceiving children and not an ethical form of entertainment.

Before anyone starts diving off about traditionalisms, I can well remember when animal rights activists were looked down upon as irrelevant cranks. Until they started physically invading and attacking circuses. The whole point of a circus is to have animals, without which it isn't a circus.

Today, a circus with animals is virtually excluded from public owned land here in the UK. The loony left have moved in and anything which can be banned is being banned. Magicians may not use animals, rabbits are highlighted, in publicly owned buildings, halls etc and even private halls have to be licensed. Those licences come with additional regulations banning the use of animals and restricting the types of entertainment. No hypnotism, no dancing of a 'lewd nature' including striptease, topless and so on - we are talking now about private parties and NOT children's parties.

Anyway, at this meeting there were those who agreed with this gathering concern about deceiving children. Ethical and Educational magic is appearing. You present an effect and then discuss it until the children have, with your assistance if needed, discovered how it was done. Then you move onto the next effect and so on.

Again, before you cry foul or stupid, this is seen as educationally beneficial and preferable to Uncle Stan's Magic Show, whoever Uncle Stan may be.

Those who have embraced the idea see it as a kick-start to interesting children in magic. As one said, "When children learn how very simple it all is, they will be encouraged to try it for themselves. rather than appearing impossible, they know it is possible for them to do it."

Is there such a movement in North America?

Would you consider embracing this form of show?

And before you say to yourself 'Never!' just remember the circus.

In 1980 circus proprietors in the UK wouldn't hear of a circus without animals - nor would their audiences. The one big one which tried had people asking for the return of their money.

Today, most of them have gone non animal - there's only one elephant still working and she is about 60 years old and at the end of her life and when she goes there will be none. The Government has made sure by banning - here we go again - the importation of elephants under animal health regulations designed for cattle under Foot and Mouth Disease regulations.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 05:52, Tony James wrote:
You present an effect and then discuss it until the children have, with your assistance if needed, discovered how it was done. Then you move onto the next effect and so on.

I wonder what magic would then be classed as if everyone knew the secrets?

Mark
Mark Daniel
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
One might equally have asked in 1980 what circus would be called without animals.

I suppose Mark you could in one sense count EEE as an alternative to the current situation nationally where so many schools refuse to have a magician at all. The usual reasons quoted - time available, cost etc - really isn't the true story.

So many teachers and schools have suffered from unbusinesslike magicians who fail to show or arrive late or are just plain boring.

Teachers are a very strange bunch of people. You might expect them to be the most open minded of all, frowning upon children assuming and jumping to ill considered conclusions and opinions.

Yet that's precisely how teachers behave, assuming all children's entertainers are poor and unsuitable without ever opening their minds.

Ethical Educational Entertainment - embracing more disciplines than just magic - could prove attractive.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-12-07 06:43, Tony James wrote:
One might equally have asked in 1980 what circus would be called without animals.

I suppose Mark you could in one sense count EEE as an alternative to the current situation nationally where so many schools refuse to have a magician at all. The usual reasons quoted - time available, cost etc - really isn't the true story.

So many teachers and schools have suffered from unbusinesslike magicians who fail to show or arrive late or are just plain boring.

I completely agree. The number of school shows in the past couple of years has dwindled but I get the same comments constantly: "We had this guy last time, NEVER AGAIN!"

There are so many cowboys out there. I know of one locally, a DJ for the past few years, who went to a magic auction and bought a batch of kids show props. All of a sudden he's billing himself as the "best childrens entertainer in the North West". In reality, after seeing his show first hand and from having my thoughts backed up in several calls from clients, his show is appalling. He has no patience for children, he's scruffy, his props clearly came from the Ark and have not seen a touch of paint since. I know this isn't the main point here but these people are crippling our art by turning people off magic.

Mark
Mark Daniel
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
458 Posts

Profile of TKD27
In the US, I usually consider myself a liberal - until I remember what liberal means in other countries. I had a debate with a friend of mine just last night - she was a poli-sci / history major who now teaches history in middle school. She said that in most countries, the differences between our two political parties would be so minor that they would just be different wings of the same party. Seeing how crazy left it can get in some other countries (and how crazy right it can get in others, for that matter), I see the point in her argument.

But I digress...

I don't really see that ever happening in the US, but I could be wrong.

I wonder, though - what do those same groups think about Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny? Are young children dissuaded from believing in them for the same reasons?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
It is a thin line when producing school shows. The magic must be used to teach something....you could use the fact that magic fools to talk about a number of issues, either positively or in the negative.
The circuses here in the US still use lots of animals. I don't always agree with the way some circuses treat the animals...yet like many I find a "magic" in the circus and love to take my family to see a good one.
One of the things I find interesting is when people try to teach gospel lessons with magic. This always seemed to me to touch on "false miracles" and could be extremely in poor taste unless simply presented for fun, or to talk about deception itself. However, producing a silk with Jesus' likeness I always thought a bit on the tacky side of life.
At some point I have to wonder where the left actually comes to their "anti magic" conclusions from..obviously horribly dry and mundane childhoods of sitting in chairs in department stores waiting for mommy to take them home to a house devoid of toys or fun of any kind...
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
This is indeed very sad. I am just waiting for the announcement that Father Christmas(Santa Claus for the Americans) will be banned because children are being deceived.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Some Santa's are taught not to say Ho Ho Ho...

as it is connected with a certain Radio Talk Shows comments...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 12:06, Harris wrote:

Now THAT is completely sick! So Santa can't say his honored, how "old" phrase that millions know him to say..because of some sicko on the radio?
So basically people are pandering to evil. That's what it boils down to....
"Don't say that phrase, Santa, because some dirty moron out there made fun of you, and those who pander to the lowest common denominator may snicker because they're turning something children love into something really dirty".
Good giving into evil...it's easier to ban it than to fight it.

When are people going to get sick of this?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Ho Ho Ho....

First we believe in Santa..then we get to old...

Then we "become Santa"....

It is good to give and deceive...er receive....

(love the attitude of gratitude on your signature...by the way)
Counting my blessings of things I have and things I don't have....)

ho ho ho....(or insert my real laugh similar to Horshack of Welcome back Kotter fame)

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'd like the name of the idiot who even thought that Santa shouldn't be allowed to say ho ho ho. Frankly I don't believe it.

Tony, please ask your little UKers to stop with the nonsense. We have lots of morons in this country who love saying "well, in Europe they...." and think that makes it valid so we will have people in big cities being anti magic. Tell them to behave.
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
I think it would help considerably if you Americans started calling him by his proper name, which is "Father Christmas". Come to think of it, Magic Santa, I think you should change your name to "Magic Father Christmas" for 2008!
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Here is the link to the Ha Ha Ha v. Ho Ho Ho

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115/wl_......soffbeat

As you'll read it's the Aussies that seem to have a problem with the double meaning.

The article refers to the jolly old elf as both Santa Claus and Father Christmas. It then goes on to say the blame lies at the feet of American slang. So far, Canada seems to have dodged the bullet on this one. Time will tell! Smile

Rob
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Australia has problems with it? I bet one idiot complained and the Santa people kowtowed to them. What a shame.

As the real Santa let me tell you that 'ho ho ho' shouldn't be just yelled out it should be incorporated into a laugh and thus, when the ho ho ho comes, it is a treat for those lucky enough to hear it. Also the tone and delivery of 'ho ho ho' from Santa is much different that the 'ho ho ho' of a pimp dissappointed in the performance of one of his hookers, as in 'Ho ho ho....whaz we gonna do now...biotech?", everyone knows this. I should also point out the proper term for hookers should be 'ladies' as in "hello ladies, any of you free to date tonight?". Since I live in a county where some of our biggest companies are brothels I've reworked Christmas Carols for them....that is if Mrs. Claus lets me go visit them to spread cheer.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 12:06, Harris wrote:

Actually, a TV show.
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Would that be Jerry Springer?
Mark Daniel
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
When it comes to the use of animals in shows, there is a lot of abuse, and as much as I love mine and they love performing, I would gladly retire them if all exotic show animals were banned.

I don't understand how a microwave works (magic?), but I don't feel tricked when I use one. Some magicians stress the trick, and use it like some form of one-up-man-ship, and so people feel deceived.

To bring in he who cannot be named, in his Wit & Wisdom, he coined the term "Defensive Resentment". That is where everyone has a little resentment to a magician, some very slight, some pretty strong. It is the magician's job to overcome that resentment in any way he can. While this is in the context of adult close-up, I do think some adults resent all magic because they view it as a challenge to their intellect (which they lose). In short, instead of sitting back and enjoying it, they feel stupid. This is also where you get people challenging a magician. Perhaps this is where these educators are coming from. In my experience with close-up, I find this to be strongest among young (under 35) women. Teachers seem to be predominantly in this category.

No one likes to feel stupid, so perhaps we are partially to blame?
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Quote:
On 2007-12-07 08:51, chris mcbrien wrote:
It is a thin line when producing school shows. The magic must be used to teach something....you could use the fact that magic fools to talk about a number of issues, either positively or in the negative.
However, producing a silk with Jesus' likeness I always thought a bit on the tacky side of life.

I'm going to apologize for stating this. I think my main problem is the "cartoony" look of the typical Jesus silk...I don't like it. I'm hoping this was not taken as an insult to those who have to use it in order to get their message across! I understand that there are limited effects/props for certain gospel messages, and my comment was in no way reflective of performance quality...
Best to All,
Chris
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Well the answer is for someone to tell these experts that they are nuts

Gil Scott
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

To call these people experts is an insult to true experts. These people want a reality check.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Ethical Educational Entertainment (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL