We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Hemispheres by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 11:32, evolve629 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 21:48, Cameron Francis wrote:
Actually, I think it's very different than "Nailed!"

I love "Photo Finish" as it's such a great application of... Well, I don't want to give the trick away. But it's very strong.

I own both Nailed and Hemispheres DVDs and both share correlative in conceptualization and even the patter that Jay talked about on Photo Finish are similar in "Nailed." Certainly the method is different, I agree.

Nailed is a two card transpo with a card changing places with a picture in a photo.

Photo Finish is NOT a two card traspo. Nothing changes places with anything in the photo. Without exposing the effect, I can't say much more, but the only thing these two effects have in common is that they are both card tricks. And they both use a photograph.
thefliss
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of thefliss
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 16:31, jstone wrote:
I'm not sure I follow. Just because he said thank you in the credits, doesn't mean my review is wrong. There is no conflict of interest. I don't get any money or anything from the sales of the DVD.

Had I started the review by saying, "here's a review of a DVD that Jay mentions my name on" Then followed that statement with the review, I believe that the review would not have been perceived as accurate but rather as a bias.

My misunderstanding, it seems. Apologies. This last statement of yours (that you don't get any gain from the sales of the DVD) is full disclosure, and resolves the conflict of interest (though you and I would disagree about your very last statement in the quote above.) The fact that you are mentioned does put doubt on your review, however unfounded that doubt may be; I think it still is your obligation to say so and to mention how it is not a conflict, then let the reader decide whether the review is still spot on. Please don't think I am casting aspersions on your integrity; I take you at your word, which is why I think disclosure is important.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I want to point out that I had complete faith in Jeff's review being sincere, I was just messin' with him cuz he takes it well.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 16:34, jstone wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 11:32, evolve629 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-12 21:48, Cameron Francis wrote:
Actually, I think it's very different than "Nailed!"

I love "Photo Finish" as it's such a great application of... Well, I don't want to give the trick away. But it's very strong.

I own both Nailed and Hemispheres DVDs and both share correlative in conceptualization and even the patter that Jay talked about on Photo Finish are similar in "Nailed." Certainly the method is different, I agree.

Nailed is a two card transpo with a card changing places with a picture in a photo.

Photo Finish is NOT a two card traspo. Nothing changes places with anything in the photo. Without exposing the effect, I can't say much more, but the only thing these two effects have in common is that they are both card tricks. And they both use a photograph.

jstone, thanks, for clarifying. I'm over generalizing the two effects and realizing now that sometimes I have "a gap of two or four in my memory bank." Smile
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Jeff's a real worker and very cool guy ( PM him with a question and he'll help you out ). I took his review as that of a worker passing on his thoughts.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Looks like I have some fans... thanks for the love. Smile
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Here's my full disclosure:

I'm a creative consultant for SankeyMagic. I've never hidden that fact. I'm listed on his website. You can see a brief bio and a picture of me on his About SM Page. Scroll all the way to the bottom, and you'll see me.

Part of being a creative consultant for Jay is to help him workshop some of his effects. I tell him what I think. In fact, some of the stuff that didn't make it to the Hemisphere's project was stuff that I told him not to release because I didn't think it was very good.

Of course, Jay doesn't just do whatever I say, but he definitely takes my feedback into consideration. On the Hemi project, there were 20 effects. All of them were created by Jay. I offered a lot of advice and suggestion on most of the effects.

So in the credits, there is some text that comes up on the screen that says something like: "A big thanks to my friends Richard Sanders, Jeff Stone, Dave Acer and Mike Scutt."

Also, on one trick in particular, during the explanation, he took a brief second to thank me for helping him work out the handling of that particular effect (Dollars and Sense). I like that trick, and I'm honored that Jay would credit me for the handling, but I don't even do that trick. In fact the three main effects that I do from that DVD are Director's Cut, Third Eye, and Photo Finish.

None of those are effects that I had any input on. They, in my mind, are the strongest, and I use at least 2 of the three in EVERY gig I do now. My recommendation to buy the DVD is based mainly on those three effects, but there is a TON of other killer material on the DVD.

One other thing to consider as well: I'm not a fan of SankeyMagic because I'm a consultant. I'm a consultant because I'm a fan. I really only have two major influences in my work... Paul Harris and Jay Sankey. That's it. I've been a fan of Jay's forever. That ultimately led me to a path where Jay and I became very close friends. Close enough in fact that I have no problem calling him on the phone or emailing him to tell him that he had an idea that sucked.

He knows I won't talk up a product that I don't fully believe in. In fact, he wouldn't let me even if I wanted to.

Finally, I'm a firm believer of the Café motto: "Magicians Helping Magicians." I contribute to the Café because I want to help other magicians, and of course I want to be helped by other magicians. Nobody (not even Jay) has asked me to do this. In fact, he doesn't even know that this thread exists. He doesn't even know that I'm here "talking" about his products.

Anyway, I hope that cleared the air. As always, a post like this always "sounds" worse than the actual tone I intended, so hopefully as you've read this, you won't think I was being harsh, aggressive, defensive, etc... just offering full disclosure. Smile
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 11:30, thefliss wrote:
A little disclosure before posting your review would probably have given it a little more weight. The conflict of interest is something that should have been mentioned earlier.

It could be that Jeff didn't "disclose" that he'd helped with one effect (or that he likes Jay or Jay's material, etc) because he wasn't paranoid enough to think there were people quick to question his integrity.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2440 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-01-14 03:02, jstone wrote:
Of course, Jay doesn't just do whatever I say

And why not? I can think of a dozen Stupid Magician Tricks which I'd pay good money to see on video.

Quote:
In fact, he doesn't even know that this thread exists. He doesn't even know that I'm here "talking" about his products.

We'll keep your secret. Shhhh! Be vewwy, vewwy qwiet!

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I didn't think Jeff had anything to disclose because it's right out in the open. Jeff's on the Sankey Underground Jam DVD, etc. I took his review of Hempishperes as that of a professional on the Café offering an opinion.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I throughly enjoy Hemispheres DVD by Jay. It contains a wealth of concepts and principles that I find interesting. I enjoy Jay's eclectic reasoning and his patters. He's a very funny guy and a great magician. I also like the fact that his world view is all-embracing and is inclusive of all people on the planet! Cheers!!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
bond19
View Profile
Inner circle
Blackpool, England
1320 Posts

Profile of bond19
I'm a Sankey nut and I definately agree with Jeff...

This is the BEST Sankey release since Front Row Sankey..

Some absolute working gems...

Cheers all
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
I cannot say enough about Director's Cut. What's really cool is that it even plays really well for children (as long as they can read or understand that words are on the paper and that I cut one of them).

The level of understanding of the effect obviously varies between adults and kids, but they both experience it in their own way, and it just gets killer reactions.
Darkfrog
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Darkfrog
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 14:55, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Photo Finish could have been marketted seperately. If you like Heirloom
and want to make it stronger without having all those cards in your wallet, check out photo finish and combine the two ideas.

It comes with a photo card, but I made my own.

Maybe it's me but I think photo finish is transparent. The shuffling in between the cuts draw attention and can tip a sharp spectator to the method. I prefer how Andy Nyman does it in The Hidden. I think his manipulation is not as noticeable and has a better chance of flying by an astute observer. You can use Nyman's method for Photo Finish and I think it would fly by better. Just a thought. Any opinions?
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Definitely, one of his best releases.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
I actully more like the material from 22 blow heads. This is a mental magic dvd than a mentalism dvd. If you like psychological style mentalism such as luke jermay,this is not for you. However you can change the presentation to make the work like serious mentalism. And his dvd is better than the great mentalist lee earle's sunshine boy
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
Quote:
On 2008-01-19 22:00, Darkfrog wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-13 14:55, Christopher Kavanagh wrote:
Photo Finish could have been marketted seperately. If you like Heirloom
and want to make it stronger without having all those cards in your wallet, check out photo finish and combine the two ideas.

It comes with a photo card, but I made my own.

Maybe it's me but I think photo finish is transparent. The shuffling in between the cuts draw attention and can tip a sharp spectator to the method. I prefer how Andy Nyman does it in The Hidden. I think his manipulation is not as noticeable and has a better chance of flying by an astute observer. You can use Nyman's method for Photo Finish and I think it would fly by better. Just a thought. Any opinions?

I've performed this for a few people and no one was the wiser. I actually like the shuffling in between. I think it shows a little more randomness within the cards. I do think it plays better for lay people but then again that's who we're performing it for. As for Nyman, I've never seen Hidden. Where would I be able to see it? I do like him and have seen him in person a couple of times. I'll have to look into it.
Rory
westo
View Profile
Special user
Portugal
531 Posts

Profile of westo
I enjoyed this DVD alot. I have already altered a few effects to suit my style, this I feel is the beauty of such an offering.

p.s. here is a nice clock you can download for the 'Painkiller' effect

http://www.primdoodles.com/images/Clockblank150dpi.JPG

westo
Creator of 'The Famous Westo Peek'..'The Westo Dump' and the 'Westolope'
jstone
View Profile
Inner circle
Someday I'll have
1452 Posts

Profile of jstone
Westo,

Very cool. Thanks for the link.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
I liked it! If I pick up one idea I've gotten my money's worth!
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Hemispheres by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL