The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Looking for ideas how to? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Hello fellow Magi!

I've been working on a few new routines and that require different types of gaffs/gimmmicks to be made. I could use a few ideas as to how to accomplish the construction of some of the gaffs though.

First of all I'm working on a new routine with gaffed cards. I have already made the gaffed designs by using a high resolution scanner and a lot of time working in photoshop. However I need to figure out the best way to print the gaffed cards and laminate so that they look and feel as close to Bikes as possible. I have a high res ink jet printer...it's the lamination and type of paper that I'm worried about. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Secondly - I need to find out where I can buy the type of adhesive that they use in magazines to hold in inserts. When dry, it's pretty elastic and has a spongey feel to it. If anybody knows what this stuff is called I would really appreciate it.

Lastly - Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make a 'punch' to cut cards. As mentioned earlier I will be printing on cardstock a lot of gaffed cards (Almost an entire deck of different cards) to create an effect, and I would like to find a quick way to cut them to the correct shape. At minimum I would require a way to round the corners uniformly.

Thanks a bunch in advance.

-Jlareau
:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
RayBanks
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I think the glue you are referring to is rubber cement. It has the same qualities you mentioned.

I assume you are talking about making the round corners on the cards. If so, go to this link:

www.kjmagic.com

Hope this helps

Ray Banks

Smile
-------------
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
Reg Rozee
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, Canada
592 Posts

Profile of Reg Rozee
Just wondering if it would be easier to use blank face bikes and those lettraset-type card symbols. Not good for mass production, but if you are making one-offs I think they would be much more convincing.

I think the adhesive you are looking for either rubber cement or a very close cousin. Rubber cement may do what you want.

-bigwolf {*}
Reality is what doesn't go away when you stop believing in it. -Phillip K. Dick

Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -Chico Marx
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
The adhesive you are looking for is called padding compound. Try stationery stores or inquire at print shops.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
jlareau
View Profile
Loyal user
Henrietta NY / Chicago Ill
220 Posts

Profile of jlareau
Thanks a lot guys. Sid, thanks for the tip. I've been trying to figure out what that stuff is for a while now.

jlareau

:bluebikes:
Jonathan Lareau A.K.A "Jonny Card Trick"
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

Feel free to check out my website www.jonlareau.com
jahunsmythe
View Profile
New user
Dallas
16 Posts

Profile of jahunsmythe
I'm doing the same thing as you, making gaffed cards for the Three Card Monte, but with a different theme. I looked at Staples yesterday for paper, found 80 weight photo postcard paper, $10 for 40 cards. I can get at least 4 cards per postcard, so 8 cards a sheet. The paper is a slippery matte finish on one side, unfinished on the other. I was going to use the unfinished side as the back of the card, the matte side as the face. I was really wanting a finish on both sides, but I can work with this.

I'm also in need of a corner rounder, I'm going back to Staples today to check out that corner rounder product by Carl Manufacturing that Ray Banks suggested.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Looking for ideas how to? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL