The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hans Klok's Osmosis (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
Quote:
On 2007-12-10 19:45, Keith Jozsef wrote:
Unless you drape this piece with a matador theme, it's certainly going to be difficult to motivate putting on the cape...
But then again, why do we pick up and have to use a cloth during Metamorphosis, why do magicians don a robe before levitating between 2 poles?
At least with a cape, it belongs to that stereotypical image of a magician, which helps it go unquestioned by the audience.

Keith Jozsef

Keith, I think what is "wrong" is the timing of when the cape is donned, not the fact that a cape is used for covering. The cape needs to be motivated, or the cape needs to be used as a purely coincidental part of the dress (ie. it may be worn from the beginning of the illusion).

In both Hans and Rick Tomas' versions I feel the cape is used as neither.
In Lance's version the girl is seen from the outset as a character, whose costume is complete with the cape.

If the cape is to be draped after the illusion has been set up, then there may be a change in character. Maybe the magician steals the cape from the girl assistant before she is to disappear.

I feel the cape should be emphasised, or played down, but not just "I need to put on a cape in order for this illusion to work"!

I hope that explains a little bit more of what I am trying to get at!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Keith Jozsef
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Keith Jozsef
LeeAlex2002--

I agree with your statements. In fact, after reading Curtis' suggestion about the vampire image, I think there might be several ways to go with this one. The only reason I think the cape was not on from the beginning, with regard to Rick and Hans, is that their movements/dance steps would have been much more limited.

Keith Jozsef
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Amosmc: I do not think you have to bow out of the discussion at all. We all can have a difference of opinion and I for one highly respect it. We can all agree to disagree and still learn in the process. That is what makes this a beautiful place.

I would have to agree though with the use of the cape and coming up with a better jsutification for it. I agree that perhaps it is not worn at the start because of the dance moves used my Hans. However, I think it can still be used and presented in a different light.

As Lee suggested, perhaps if hans does not want to wear it at the start, then maybe one of the dancers comes on with it and it is a part of her character. The shedding of the robe from her sybolizes maybe vulnerability. Another possibility is to ave it more ritualistic in feel and approach. She is brought on wearing the robe as a symbol of importance. It is removed from her later in the illusion.

Both of these are not fleshed out in the least, but I am trying to show that there can be a subtle way of making more sense of the robe besides just placing it on before the illusion is performed. Make it a part of the routine and storyline of the illusion.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magicpatrick
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of magicpatrick
Normaly, Hans Kloks ilusions are paced way faster. Didn't saw Lance version.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Personally I think this illusion looks best when done without the cape except in Lances Version.
Swann101
View Profile
Special user
538 Posts

Profile of Swann101
The osmosis illusion have always been "ok" to me but never great! I know a lot will disagree. It is just not spectalucar enough considering its size and price. Just my opinion. But I would choose Lances version if I had to pick one!
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
But what price it has his illusion?
j.i.s.
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of j.i.s.
This illusion not his illusion. sorry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hans Klok's Osmosis (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL