The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Party Sound Systems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I can understand that some are worried about the batteries going flat during a show. I've had the same battery (Energizer) in my Mipro transmitter now for at least 20 hours, and am expecting it to die soon. That is very good service for one battery in my opinion. I have 3 mics. Two headset wireless with transmitters, plus a handheld that is on the same frequency as one of the headset transmitters. Works great for me.

all the best,

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Here's one to consider: http://www.dak.com/Reviews/3010story.cfm

There are other systems on the site, too.

As for VHF systems, I have a $20 VHF mike that works perfectly. My $160 UHF mike has interference issues, every time I use it.
TrickyRicky
View Profile
Inner circle
TrickyRicky
1653 Posts

Profile of TrickyRicky
The smallest PA system is the Samson head set.
I've been using this model for 7 years, and it's still going strong.
The head set and receiver is small and light.
https://www.audiolinks.com/tek9/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jmmngonqg.
Tricky Ricky

Posted: Jan 10, 2008 6:25am )
If there is a problem with the link Google Samson AH1
Tricky Ricky
Tony James
View Profile
Inner circle
Cheshire UK
1398 Posts

Profile of Tony James
The Samson is favoured by some street workers here and the integrated headband mike and transmitter allows energetic performers to keep moving and keep talking without the problems of a cable connection between mike and transmitter. I've been impressed by it.

For my Punch & Judy show I have been using a Mipro MA-707PA for quite a while now. I'm impressed with this too. being on wheels with a telescopic handle it moves around easily. Very powerful 70 watt output and it's an all-in-one box job so you have nothing other than mikes to add. Except, that is, if you decide to run music off an MP3 source rather than the built in CD. The old ones had a tape option. make that decision because you can buy it without a CD or tape. Cheaper and lighter weight and less drain on the internal batteries.

One of the improvements with the Mipro is the powering of the microphone transmitters. 9 volt batteries BUT - the power demands are lower than with many allowing you to use rechargeable batteries. What's more the Mipro has a small drawer to hold two spare rechargeables which are topped up whenever you plug into the mains. Most radio transmitters can't work with rechargeables.

The built in rechargeable battery system to drive the PA itself is 24 volt DC so any touring show working outdoors should be aware of this. If the batteries go down you can't support with a 12 volt source drawn either from a vehicle battery or 12 volt power station which I was able to do with a previous (lower output) PA system.

However, you can use a power station with an inverter which in the UK produces 240 volts AC which is the standard mains supply. As I'm on the road for a week at a time and working outdoors I need - for peace of mind - some form of standby back up, just in case. the batteries normally support four twenty five minute shows with about five minutes of high output music.

The Mipro does recharge quite quickly which is convenient but suggests the fast recharge will eventually shorten the battery life. One of these days the thing will start flashing its low battery warning light and then the power station will come into its own for the fourth and final show of the day.

It does have a 24 volt DC input socket but certainly in the UK I have not come across any easily available 24 volt DC power source. Hence carrying the power station with inverter. Maybe you have such a source in the USA.

Oh yes. One other thing. The Mipro was one of the earliest systems I came across whose VHF radio mikes transmitters deliver a carrier code which protects the receiver from stray signals. In other words, someone else working close by with on the same wavelength cannot interrupt your signal, or come through on your system.

VHF is a cheaper option than UHF here in the UK but the frequencies are very strictly regulated. In Europe frequencies are a national decision so what works legally in one country is illegal in another. Do watch that if you come over here.
Tony James

Still A Child At Heart
alexa
View Profile
Veteran user
NJ
393 Posts

Profile of alexa
I just bought a passport 150 and a samsom Airliner wireless mic. My dad has the passport 250 and it was much bigger than what I wanted, but I wanted just one system for birthdays, libraries, elementary schools, camps, and day cares.

Set-up time is not much of an issue for me because I specilaize in longer parties and usually have my assistant with me. Also, if you do it enough times set-up for the 150 doesn't take very long at all.

I wear a dress when I perform so a wireless mic with a belt pack wasn't an option as I would have nothing to clip it on to. That's why I went with the Airliner, it is worn on the back of your head and transmits to the reciever box.

Alexa
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
366 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
With the search engine and postings-within-last-x-days problems the Café is having, I missed this one.

Anybody have pricing info for the Mipro? The link above seemed to be for something else than what we're discussing!
------------

We could have been practicing!
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I use a Paso Pro Cast 50 which includes two wireless transmitters and rechargeable battery. It's small and sounds great. I recently worked in a larger ballroom and ported it to the DJ's sound system and it worked even better. The Paso is perfect for small audiences and the fact that you don't need to plug it in makes it very useful for birthday parties and audiences of up to 300.
wdwfan71
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of wdwfan71
May I suggest this...www.pssl.com/Mackie-SRM-150-5In-Compact-Active-Pa-System

An outstanding product for small audiences IMO. Has everything you need for $300.00
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I have just started using a Mackie SRM 150 and it's simply amazing. It's not super cheap but it works really well. Check it out at the folowing link:

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm150/index.html

It's approximately 11" by 7" and I used it for a gathering which had over 300 with no problem at all.
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Jeff,

Did you cover the 300 people with one SRM 150? Also, did you run music through it?, or just your voice....Just curious of your opinion of the sound of the music...

Thanks

Ken
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Ken, It is really good, it has BOSE technology, To me (Tone Deaf) it sounds great! but that is not saying much because I couldn't tell you what is bad unless it is really bad!
Dennis Michael
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Thanks Dennis,

I thought I saw a post from Michael Messing about music not sounding too clear through the system. I called a local Guitar Center that has them in stock. I think I'll take my VSM over there tomorrow and test it out. I've got high hopes....

Ken
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1944 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
Mackie is good quality. I have 4 of their 450s and a sub. They can rock a college double gym. It doesn't have a built in mic, but it looks nice.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I like it...the list price in Canada was around 475 but I found a bargain because it went to the rental section to go out and then didn't...with my school discount I ended up paying $275 which was great...I was planning on using this in my classroom for hooking up to my IPod and had no idea of how good would be. A nice surprise for sure.
Signor Blitz
View Profile
Elite user
419 Posts

Profile of Signor Blitz
I like the products from anchor audio.
The one that I don't leave home without is the liberty model.
Built in heavy duity battery (12 hours cont. use) 2 wireless transmitters and receivers running with 16 channels to choose from in the 600 mhz range so picking up anything else not a issue. built in cd player also various input jacks for ipod - soundman etc. other mics etc. Indoor and out door quality control with 50 watts of power (audience of 1200 not a problem) It is only 20 inches tall and about 14 inches wide and 10 inches deep and wieghs 48 lbs. Excellent for small programs for a little extra boost in volume and outstanding for larger programs in schools - churces and halls.
Sal Amangka
View Profile
Special user
Manila, Philippines
712 Posts

Profile of Sal Amangka
Hi All,

Just want to share that I bought a GRF Powered speaker (300 watts)with built-in mixer and I also bought a Samsom Concert 77 UHF Wireless Headset Mircophone... I have used it twice in my show already and I'm very happy with the performance of both products!

Chubster
Salamangka in Filipino means "Magic"
http://www.thechubstershow.com
thechubstershow@gmail.com
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
OKay,

I found this post to be very interesting and informative. Perhaps someone can help me now, as there are so many options available outt here. Say, I wanted something that would meet the following criteria. What would everyone reccomend?

- Semi lightweight- no more than 20 pounds.
- Compatible with iPod (which is what I use for my shows)
- Battery operated
- Will support a wireless lavalier microphone
- The fewer cables, the better
- Fairly quick set-up (no more than 5 minutes)

I had my ye on the Virtual Soundman PA for a while now. Want to be sure that it will be compatible to what I'm looking for. Any suggestions??

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I'll let you know about the iCue2 PA in a couple weeks when it comes in.

Steve
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Thanks Steve. that's the one I was looking forward to getting. It's just hard for me because I also do stage shows as well. I don't want to buy the same technology twice if you know what I mean.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Magic Enhancer the Mipro MA-705 and 707 will do all you need. The 707 is louder and with the extra speaker it has quite a big sound.

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Birthday Party Sound Systems (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL