The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Vanishes on YouTube » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9183 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah James, we had them going for a while man...Smile And I did drop them a hint when I mentioned Clockwork Orange...Smile Oh well, it was fun and once again the hound dogs overwhelm the fox. I want to thank everyone for playing along and being good sports. Even you Art, y'know they still can't find Jimmy Hoffa... maybe you can track him down next...Smile And speaking of Hoffa, I agree with you and really do hope you "rest in peace" also. Smile

Happy New Years James and to all. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 17:52, unrest655321 wrote:
Argh! I just wrote a massive post and my girlfriend knocked to electricity off just as I was about to post it.

Well... here we go again:

Okay, time to come clean. Kudos on the comment finding. I can't believe you found that!

This escalated out of control a bit really. I am an artist/designer/filmmaker working in London but also a magician in my spare time — a hobby which has interested me since childhood. I uploaded a video which I had edited in post to youtube just to see if anyone would believe it. It seemed to entertain a lot of people so I thought I'd do some more. I never intended it to fool other magicians — I hope I haven't offended anyone.

I started deliberately not lying but I kept being misquoted so I just went with it in the end (eg. "No cuts" being misquoted as "No editing").

It started an interesting debate though. Is video editing a legitimate technique for the internet? It's easily devalued and takes a lot of time and skill to learn (more so than it has taken me to learn any magic technique I know).

If anyone's interested Alex is the name of the main character in A Clockwork Orange — he becomes prisoner number 655321. "Unrest" was an art exhibition I was involved in in London.

My real name is James.

Thanks to the people who were nice to me. Some of you get a little too serious about it all. It should be about entertainment and fun imo.

Sorry I had to let the magic end.

;)

Hi James nice to meet you. No offence taken.

The question around whether editing is legitimate on the web is interesting but regardless I would challenge you that presentation skills rather than magic techniques are important to learn so there's a bit more to the magic piece than just learning a trick. (Still a bit of work for you there)

Oh and don't worry about having to let the magic end, I suppose it wasn't down to you really it was me that ended it wasn't it ? Fun spoiling bugger that I am !!!

Any way nice to meet you, hope to see you around.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
The Apple Cinema Display in the background was also a little "Giveaway". Smile

Well, even though I was right about the editing...I feel wrong for what I said. I apologize for being extremely harsh. I thought you had other motives for what you were doing. I now understand where you are coming from...

As I look back at everything, I say bravo to you James.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Can I take credit for busting him first? Smile

James very good work on the video side however you do it.But you can't fool magicians-except DJM, but he's baffled by a dreidel! Smile
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 17:52, unrest655321 wrote:
[...] It seemed to entertain a lot of people so I thought I'd do some more. I never intended it to fool other magicians [...]

Well then I guess it's a good thing that it didn't "fool" other magicians... not the knowledgeable ones, anyway.

TW
(PS: did you ever bother to actually learn anything about patents? Or perhaps you are a bit of liar after all...?)
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
View Profile
Elite user
408 Posts

Profile of Gilgamesh_The_Librarian
Thomas Wayne, I think like me you are not a forgiving chap.

I'd alluded to some of my thoughts in a more subtle form in my last post but, as the night has worn on I've felt less circumspect in my approach.Luckily there are standards of etiquette on the Café which prevent me from saying what I truly feel here in the appropriate language but in summary :

I question the original motives for coming on here and dragging on this farce, many people would have not let this last this long.

I find James last post to be entirely condescending in many respects and pretty disrespectful to the magic community (and I make this comment as somebody who doesn't have it on a pedestal by a long chalk !!)

In short the whole thing leaves a bit of a nasty taste with me and I still can't help feeling I am dealing with a smart alec who says he has been trying to entertain when all he has been is a smart alec.

Anyway that's my last post on the matter, Im off !!!
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

Profile of MickeyPainless
Singinggggggg in the rain *THUMP*, just singin in the rain *TWACK* Whata wonderrrrrrrrrful feelin *Umphhhh*, just singing in the rain..........

Welcome to the Café James!

Mick
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
"Yeah James, we had them going for a while man... And I did drop them a hint when I mentioned Clockwork Orange... Oh well, it was fun and once again the hound dogs overwhelm the fox."

Yeah but, aren't you guys the bad guys now.... for lying to everyone (YES DJM I did say lie once again...so what?)
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

I always prefer "fib", "tale", "deception" and "rouse" to lie in context with magic!

***I find James last post to be entirely condescending in many respects and pretty disrespectful to the magic community***

Valium might help!

Mick
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
The Magic Café- Magicians messing with magicians! That's the new motto.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
Isn't Mb217 kinda known here? I thought he'd be a little more mature and not play these little games with people or mess with them.
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

C'mon Art,
Ease up my man, haven't you ever pulled a prank on anybody?
Personally I think that anyone feeling slighted or taken advantage of needs to remember to stop and smell the roses now and again (polite way of saying lighten up)!
No one was harmed, no money lost, the thought of it being real magic was fun, the thought it might be a doable trick was exciting, it made people think, video techniques were learned, debate was inspired...... need I go on?
I still wish I didn't know how it was done!
Mick
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
All this was fun.
jacksonmagic
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of jacksonmagic
That was the most fun I've had reading a thread on a message board as it was being typed.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 20:37, MickeyPainless wrote:
I always prefer "fib", "tale", "deception" and "rouse" to lie in context with magic!

***I find James last post to be entirely condescending in many respects and pretty disrespectful to the magic community***

Valium might help!

Mick

I think you meant "ruse" (rather than "rouse"), and you forgot my personal favorite: "prevaricate"

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
MickeyPainless
View Profile
Inner circle
California
6065 Posts

"ruse", got it! Prevaricate aye? I like it.... a lot!
Art190
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of Art190
"No one was harmed, no money lost, the thought of it being real magic was fun, the thought it might be a doable trick was exciting, it made people think, video techniques were learned, debate was inspired...... need I go on?"

You also forgot that it might have caused enemies or people to dislike someone, trust was lost(Mb217 and Alex), made some people look really dumb(for those that actually believed Alex and his right hand man Mb217)....yeah, sure it was fun...but it DID have both good AND bad effects...
unrest655321
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of unrest655321
I'd just like to reiterate that I never intended it to be posted on a magic forum like this. It wasn't for magicians. It was slightly an ego thing I suppose in as much as any video posted on youtube is. I honestly meant no harm by it — merely to amaze and entertain anybody who happened to view the video. And it was successful in that for the most part.

It's my birthday today by the way!
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Happy birthday!
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 07:09, unrest655321 wrote:
I'd just like to reiterate that I never intended it to be posted on a magic forum like this. It wasn't for magicians. It was slightly an ego thing I suppose in as much as any video posted on youtube is. I honestly meant no harm by it — merely to amaze and entertain anybody who happened to view the video. And it was successful in that for the most part.

It's my birthday today by the way!

But you stated on YouTube it was a magic trick! So it was bound to end up here at some point.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Vanishes on YouTube » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL