The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Vanishes on YouTube » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 07:09, unrest655321 wrote:
I'd just like to reiterate that I never intended it to be posted on a magic forum like this. It wasn't for magicians. It was slightly an ego thing I suppose in as much as any video posted on youtube is. I honestly meant no harm by it — merely to amaze and entertain anybody who happened to view the video. [...]

For me, personally, “unrest655321” crossed an important line when he wrote:

Quote:
I have 2 different techniques that have a few similarities — it's still in a fairly crude stage of development. I'm looking into getting it patented. I have to tread carefully when doing this. Don't want my naivety towards the industry to trip me up.

and:

Quote:
I'm in the process of trying to patent the 2 vanishing techniques I have invented. I put a few videos up on yoututbe to gage audience reaction as I'm still ironing out some flaws in them. The fact that so many people think they're watching edits is frankly rather encouraging.

We’ve had plenty of scam magic “inventors” in recent years who use deceptive video demos to try to drum up some pre-release buzz, all toward the goal of bilking magicians out of the hard-earned money their parents send them each month. Take, for example, “montemagic”, who claimed to have developed a version of Paul Curry’s “Out of This World” using a borrowed, shuffled deck. He was all but taking pre-release deposits when I pulled the covers off that phony scam.

So when I saw this guy looking like he was getting ready to try the same thing I thought it prudent to jump up and call foul. I don’t mind saying that’s it’s rewarding to be proven 100% right when the dust settles.

And, finally - referencing me (and my suggestion that he resembles an extra in the movie “Dawn of the Dead”) - “unrest655321” wrote:
Quote:
Joining here took less than a minute (?) and I joined to have a go at the person who made a nasty, personal comment.

Well, “Alex”, you’ve had your “go” at me. Was it as good for you as it was for me?

- lol

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
It was all in good fun. Alex, make some more cool stuff. I don't think I'd mind watching more "magic." ***, I should send you my promotional video and you can digitally erase the things I do not like. Never knew this stuff ws possible from a home PC. I thought it was million dollar equipment only used by the movie industry.

Kudos do go to you "Alex" for giving me that "NFW" feeling once again. Seriously, post some more cool videos. I enjoyed watching them. Give all the non-magicians on YouTube that same feeling I think we all felt. It's good for the industry!

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
unrest655321
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of unrest655321
Thomas Wayne —

But you weren't "100% right" (?). That's not at all what I was doing. I didn't post my video on here, somebody else did and then later I was sent a link to this forum. I wasn't trying to scam anybody out of money. It was a completely harmless venture that escalated a little more than I anticipated, but still didn't hurt anyone.

It sounds like this brought up associations of bad things from the past for you — I'm sorry about that, but that is your issue.

The majority of people on here have received this in the spirit it was meant and I'm glad about that.

Right ... I'm off to do birthday stuff.

Laters
J
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Have a great birthday, James!! And thanks again for all the videos, I still enjoy them even now. Smile
Maforen
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Maforen
Camera tricks here. Even War of the worlds looked real. Special effects can do anything or make anything disappear. That's why he said he can vanish anything. If it was a method of vanish there would be limitations.
I will wait if he got something real he will sell it sooner or later, who don’t want to money? When I see the reviews then I will believe it until then anyone want to buy a bridge. hahahah
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Happy Birthday James
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 09:28, unrest655321 wrote:
Thomas Wayne —

But you weren't "100% right" (?). That's not at all what I was doing. [...]

I said you were faking the video in post-production, and I was 100% right about that. I said the "magic" (as a trick, not real magic) was faked, and I was 100% right about that.

And, finally, I implied that you looked like an extra from "Dawn of the Dead". I leave it to the forum to decide if I was 100% right about that...

TW

Click here to view attached image.
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 14:04, montemagic wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-12-30 08:23, Thomas Wayne wrote:

We’ve had plenty of scam magic “inventors” in recent years who use deceptive video demos to try to drum up some pre-release buzz, all toward the goal of bilking magicians out of the hard-earned money their parents send them each month. Take, for example, “montemagic”, who claimed to have developed a version of Paul Curry’s “Out of This World” using a borrowed, shuffled deck. He was all but taking pre-release deposits when I pulled the covers off that phony scam.

TW

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!! You did NOTHING of the sort! [...]

Sure I did, “monte”. You can lie about it any way you want, but the factual history is preserved in the archives.

You were trying to market an instructional video for an effect you called “Out of This Sloppy World”, and you were using a deceptively edited YouTube video (and false claims) to do so.

In your initial promotional post on this forum you wrote, exactly:
Quote:
“This effect can be done with a borrowed deck of cards, that the spectators shuffle themselves.”

I pointed out that the video was strategically edited for the purpose of supporting this lie, and that the edited-out section was the part where you sorted through the deck, separating the red and black cards after the spectator shuffles.

Following a bunch of huffing and puffing - and another lie or two - from you, I proved to be right about the [attempted] deceptive “marketing”, and that there was nothing new or original in what you hoped to sell.

The end result is that your video project [scam] went away and I saved an untold number of magicians the cost of buying your “pig-in-a-poke”.

TW
PaulPacific
View Profile
Special user
Yes, I used my toes to type all of my
905 Posts

Profile of PaulPacific
Thank you all for a most entertaining thread! I never imagined I could sit at a computer for this long reading and enjoying a single thread of this length! James, you are a genius!!

Regards,
Paul Pacific
Blessings on thee, little man,
barefoot boy with cheeks of tan...
Outward sunshine; inward joy,
Blessings on thee, barefoot boy! :-D
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
I am truly shocked at how many people thought this was anything other than a video effect.

Shame on you!!

Hilarious thread though!! Smile

Gary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Vanishes on YouTube » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL