The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Suggestions for Warm-Up Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Sometimes while checking my music I ask if "it is too loud". Volume is set on 0 or

On raising your hand...

Raise your hand if you Can NOT hear me.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Danny-Thanks for your advice and your kind words and merry christmas to you!

magic4u02-That sounds like a pretty good warm-up routine, keep working at it and merry christmas!

Harris-That sounds like a pretty good warm-up too and merry christmas!
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
I do a variety of warm-ups depending upon the show I'm doing. I was at a birthday this past summer and as I was setting up, all the children came in and sat down to watch "the show". Usually, I'll blow up some balloons and stick them to the wall (ala static electricity) behind me (not my idea, I read that little gem on this very board a few years back) to form a colored 'backdrop'. As I started doing this, the kids oohed and aaahed and started calling out the color I was about to inflate.
I said "Oh, you like red?" as I held a red balloon. "YES" they shouted. "Sorry, I don't have any red balloons," I said as I inflated it and stuck it to the wall. I did this with every balloon. The children (6 year olds) loved it. And I've used it many times since then.

I've also done something similar to what Kyle described. I say "Is everyone here?" "YES," they scream. "OK, raise your hands if you're NOT here." A few always raise their hands. "You're NOT here? OK, we'll have to wait." I look at my watch, and then look up as I whistle a little I'm-waiting-patiently music. If timed right, children and adults will laugh at this. Then I repeat. Each time more and more children are "not there." Sometimes at this point I'll do Terry Herbert's high-pitched counting of the children. Eventually, I just tell them that we're going to have to get started, and then jump right into the show.

These are simple ideas, but they let the children know this guy is going to have some fun with them. So, a warm-up doesn't have to be magical, it just has to let the audience know a little bit about your personality before you get into the meat of the show.

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
cardcaptor
View Profile
Loyal user
tagaytay, philippines
257 Posts

Profile of cardcaptor
Hi!

I think one of the best props to have if you want your audience to be warmed up is the Axtell's Off The Meter, its great, I watched the video and its cool for big or small crowds.

Thanks!
ILLUMINATI: Brotherhood knowing to be unusually enlightened with regard to the art of magic.

in memory of... SWIFTSHIFTER

"The art that purports to control or forecast natural events, effects, or forces by invoking the supernatural"
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Thanks for your advice Scott and Merry Christmas to you!
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
You're welcome, and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS to you as well!

Scott Smile.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
"I don't get it. How do you warm up with three tricks? I'm half way into my show by then. "

The purpose of the warm-up for me is to get the audience (mostly children/family audiences) to get involved. This happens by saying the number of the warm-up. The warm-up tricks are quick bits of magic with comedy and interaction. laughter built into it.

So, how do three tricks become a warm-up??? They (tricks) are conditioning the audience to have fun and participate. I don't think time is important, in my opinion, as long as they are enjoying the entertainment.
magicianessmagic
View Profile
New user
Magicianess Magic
6 Posts

Profile of magicianessmagic
Hi there. I'm totally NEW to this site and just wanted to thank everyone for their posts! They've been GREAT. I am currently (it's tough!) on a tropical island performing for kids. I'm new to magic but old to performing for kids and I found myself the other day needing a new warm up. So I found ALL of your suggestions sooooo helpful and my new warm up worked a treat!! I'm sitting on a balcony, overlooking my husband sailing on the ocean and laughing and loving where this magic show business has got me! Isn't life one grand adventure?

Thanks sooooooo much everyone, your posts REALLY helped.
Jodie (Magicianess Magic)
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
Cody ...what have you worked on, written, played with and or actually used?
What was the result...

Knowing oneself and the different venues, ages, and background of your audiences is very important.

Have fun learning and then sharing your discoveries and creativity.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1720 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I've been using "The Letter" as an opener. I end it by 'reading' the rules like never calling on anybody who gets out of their seat, and not crossing the line. our or five minutes, and as good as any warm up I ever tried.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Hey Harris, so far, my warm-ups are a clapping contest of sorts that warms the audience up and sets up some groung rules, and I'm working on a version of Sammy Smith's Shrinking Glove to use as a warm-up.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
You might think of adding Googley Eyes to create a puppet with the glove..

Latest glove puppet is made of one of my toe socks...

Along with music and sound jokes to warm up , I include whispering...If you can not hear me raise your hand....

Mr. Smith has shared some great ideas in print and in the lectures of his I attended.

Harris "too old to know everything" deutsch
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
Those are some very good ideas Harris. I'll probably elaborate on some of them, especally the eyes on the gloves. Now that would probably make my routine pretty unique. And Sammy Smith is a genius in our field. I have his two DVD's and they are among the best in my small collection. Thanks for your ideas Harris.
PZoom
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of PZoom
The warm-up I have chosen doesn't really fit in with the rest of my act (since it is mental based), but I find it has been a hit with kids and adults alike.

I give them a bit of patter, borrow a magic wand from someone and then ask for a volunteer. Once I have my volunteer, I give them what I call "The Brain Busters". The routine is simple:

(1) Have the volunteer say the word "Roast" three times out loud quickly. (Try it)

(2) Then ask them "Quick. What do you put in a toaster? Say it out loud!"

(3) If all goes well, the volunteer will say "Toast", to which you can reply something like "Nice try, but you put bread in a toaster and get toast _out_ of a toaster". If it fails, you grumble about the person have too strong of a brain... but there will be some in the audience who were thinking "toast". Somtimes when it fails, I'll shake my head and say "You put toast in a toaster, right audience?" and someone will shout out "Yes". It helps get the effect either way.

It gets laughs, its zany and gets the room warmed up quickly. To make up for the humilation, I give the volunteer an Official Math Magician's Assitant license (a playing card sized license) and a fortune telling fish for helping me out. Once children see there is reward for helping out, you get a lot of participation (if you need it) for the rest of your routine. As a bonus, children will see this as magic they can do with their parents. I'll follow up with two more Brain Busters and then start my routine.

Most of my act is close-up, but I am a big Amazing Kreskin fan and love this mental trick.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Suggestions for Warm-Up Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL