The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Glass Deceptions. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Not saying much now, but check out these three effects in a future project of mine
called "Glass Deceptions", it features a card, ring, and coin through glass table, all impromptu.

Immerse- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTJpt3I-9wM

Sublimation- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUz0_mYrqVI

Cascade- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWRdvVcS-30

Thanks alot, and happy holidays,
Calvin Lauber
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
The card through glass was insane at first glance. Then I caught how you did it and it became clear to me that that has to be a pain in the butt to perform. Kudos to you. The ring and coin were good too but I liked the card much better.
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 15:50, Magikrn wrote:
The card through glass was insane at first glance. Then I caught how you did it and it became clear to me that that has to be a pain in the butt to perform. Kudos to you. The ring and coin were good too but I liked the card much better.

Thanks, Immerse is a tad tough, but like any other thing in magic, you just
need to practice.
Thanks bro,

Calvin Lauber
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27241 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Congrats - each item had some good handling ideas. Smile bravo!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 16:10, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Congrats - each item had some good handling ideas. Smile bravo!

Thanks man! I've been working on this for a long
time and the support means the world to me!

Calvin Lauber
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
Calvin,

Great job! I think this is very creative and to take something simple like a glass table penetration and mold it into, what all can I do with this? is a nice idea. I liked the card idea, I do not beleive you are the first to think of it, but your ideas or handling tips may be of value to some. It also fits the scheme of the project. The coin was very nice looking. I know there are a few marketed versions of this, so I would just be cautious when releasing your project to ensure youv'e done research. Buyers hate repeat methods, as I'm sure you can understand. Lastly, the ring was amazing, my favorite by far. I know how you executed it, but you did it smoothly and with logic. You made perfect sense for doing what you were doing and that "sold" the idea. This one has the most potential as an impromptu penetration. Good going!

I also like the idea behind this project because it can all be fit into a nice routine. A card, then something more solid (say a coin), now lets try something valueable and impossible to duplicate (a spectators ring). An entire performance based on a glass table. And since each item (appears to be different in method), you wouldn't get caught out by repetition so it would in fact have as much WOW factor as say the Ambitious Card can have.

Cheers,

Ron
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 17:18, Ron Slater wrote:
Calvin,

Great job! I think this is very creative and to take something simple like a glass table penetration and mold it into, what all can I do with this? is a nice idea. I liked the card idea, I do not beleive you are the first to think of it, but your ideas or handling tips may be of value to some. It also fits the scheme of the project. The coin was very nice looking. I know there are a few marketed versions of this, so I would just be cautious when releasing your project to ensure youv'e done research. Buyers hate repeat methods, as I'm sure you can understand. Lastly, the ring was amazing, my favorite by far. I know how you executed it, but you did it smoothly and with logic. You made perfect sense for doing what you were doing and that "sold" the idea. This one has the most potential as an impromptu penetration. Good going!

I also like the idea behind this project because it can all be fit into a nice routine. A card, then something more solid (say a coin), now lets try something valueable and impossible to duplicate (a spectators ring). An entire performance based on a glass table. And since each item (appears to be different in method), you wouldn't get caught out by repetition so it would in fact have as much WOW factor as say the Ambitious Card can have.

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks so much!
Yeah the idea of doing it as a routine is what I was going for, your spot on!
And thanks, I was going for something more than a DVD that teaches 3 effects, more like
A DVD that teaches a routine with a lot of subtleties you'll use in the real world.
Thanks for the compliments and the criticism.

Calvin Lauber
Ron Slater
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of Ron Slater
You are welcome Calvin,

If you are truly looking to follow through with a project in the future I would remove your video's from the internet. I realize this sounds strange, however a lot of viewers will pick apart the basic workings and just try to perform it without the subtleties and handling you may have. I'm not a negative person, but I am a realist, and we are prone to do this in the magic community. Since your effects are impromptu and don't require gimmicks, it makes it even easier for some, not all, too figure out what you are doing and then recreate it. This is the big problem with demo's today. To make them eases the pain of potential buyers but at the same time may end up costing you in the end. To not make them acts as something is hidden and not the full truth. It's not an easy decision by any means. I only mention this from a marketing standpoint. I am not saying you should hide it, but perhaps send the video to a few credible sources for criqueing, instead of putting it on YouTube. It is just a recommendation as I am trying to look out for fellow magicians. It's good to protect your material.

Ron
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Quote:
On 2007-12-16 18:24, Ron Slater wrote:
You are welcome Calvin,

If you are truly looking to follow through with a project in the future I would remove your video's from the internet. I realize this sounds strange, however a lot of viewers will pick apart the basic workings and just try to perform it without the subtleties and handling you may have. I'm not a negative person, but I am a realist, and we are prone to do this in the magic community. Since your effects are impromptu and don't require gimmicks, it makes it even easier for some, not all, too figure out what you are doing and then recreate it. This is the big problem with demo's today. To make them eases the pain of potential buyers but
at the same time may end up costing you in the end. To not make them acts as something is hidden and not the full truth.It's not an easy decision by any means. I only mention this from a marketing standpoint. I am not saying you should hide it, but perhaps send the video to a few credible sources for criqueing, instead of putting it on YouTube. It is just a recommendation as I am trying to look out for fellow magicians. It's good to protect your material.

Ron

Thanks Ron, I only plan on keeping these up until the end of December.
after that anyone who wants to see them can PM me. I'll probably send
them out to some pros for quotes soon.
and yes, I agree, sadly youtube has gone down the drain for magicians..
but thanks alot, Ron stay on touch.

Calvin Lauber
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Can I get just a few more opinions on this?
Then ill leave you guys alone.. haha
Thanks soo much.

Calvin Lauber
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Nice practical solutions and the effects are straightforward and clear. Your execution looked good as well, at this framerate anyway.

On the other hand, I don't see anything here that is so different or hard to find/make/come up with on your own that it would justify a separate project. The final decision on that is up to you, of course, it's your money. IMO these would be great as contributions to a magazine. A separate release, not so much.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
I completely agree with Curtis.
VasMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of VasMagic
The one with the ring is great as r the others the ring one is sorta how I vanish rings but good job
VasMagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of VasMagic
The one with the ring is great as r the others the ring one is sorta how I vanish rings but good job
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Nice job.
Thanks for sharing.

~John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Glass Deceptions. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL