The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Derren Brown Special! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
In this case, I agree that downloading is OK. As long as you are using the file for your own private viewing, and not copying, broadcasting, burning to disc and selling etc, I don't see anything wrong with that - as long as it remains unavailable in your territory.

It should be good...they have been working on it for a while now.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Feel free to make whatever moral justifications you like. But don't deny that it's against the law in practically every juristiction, and that you're committing piracy.

Every time the show is illegally viewed, it's value, and indirectly the income of a fellow performer is diminished. There is potential for licensing the show to foreign networks, potential for using the material as part of a new show (as has already happened with other DB work), there's potential for it to be released on DVD - at which point you can stump up some cash for your own copy.

It wasn't legal in the 'older days' to do what you're suggesting.

If a mentalist publishes a book locally? Or in a limited run at a lecture - is it ok to photocopy it and post it to a friend - just because it's not currently available to them.

I'm playing a little devil's advocate here. But it astounds me the double standards I sometimes witness here in relation to copyright and ethics.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Your right Kriskraze, I used to record songs of the radio too, do you want to call F.A.C.T or shall I hand myself in.

You mention in a previous post that you watched Phenomenom but you don't live in the US. How did you watch it?

all the best

Mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
I was a naughty boy.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Lol
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 07:19, kriskraze wrote:
there's potential for it to be released on DVD - at which point you can stump up some cash for your own copy.

Yes, that is implied by the words 'available in your territory', is it not?

Quote:
If a mentalist publishes a book locally? Or in a limited run at a lecture - is it ok to photocopy it and post it to a friend - just because it's not currently available to them.

Totally different matter. One is a publicly shown performance. The other is educational information and secrets. Therefore that analogy does not apply. As you brought it up.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Anything has the potential to be available in any territory.

I don't see why it being a 'secret' makes any difference.
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Doesn't the MagicWeek homepage announce a BBC Radio 3 show with Derren on Sunday. guess he'll tell us more about "The System" then.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Harry H
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of Harry H
Do you know what? I don't think anyone outside Uk should download it.It's not fair.

Just buy copies off me instead.PM for details.LOL! Smile
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of The Feegee Mermaid
From BadPsychics:
Press Release
Derren Brown has a system for winning at the horses. In this one-hour special, the maestro of mind control anonymously tells a single mum from London which horse will win at the next day’s races – again and again – culminating in a final, massive bet.

Investigating the psychology behind gambling and using his unique combination of skills to create guaranteed wins, Derren proves his system works every time. Not only that, but he explains it fully to us at home. But how fool-proof is this system and will his participant, believing in him and his predictions, risk her life-savings on one more race?

As Derren reveals: “I took a random member of the public and I told her which horse would win in a certain race; when it did win she was intrigued and I did it again and again and she started to bet more and more money according to my system. She's scraped together every last penny she could find and she is risking it all on one final race. Is it really possible to predict every time which horse will win? Welcome to The System."

Shot on locations including Sandown Park and Newbury race courses, Derren Brown: The System is an Objective production for Channel 4. It is produced by Simon Mills, and directed by Simon Dinsell. Executive producers are Andrew O’Connor, Anthony Owen and Derren Brown.
http://badpsychics.com/thefraudfiles/mod......ryid=625

Sounds interesting...
blahber
View Profile
New user
NY
5 Posts

Profile of blahber
Quote:
On 2007-12-21 22:09, The Feegee Mermaid wrote:
Sounds interesting...

It sounds like the "The Case of the Swami Scam" episode from the old MathNet segments on SquareOne.
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of The Feegee Mermaid
Does anyone in Australia know if this will ever be shown on UK TV?
Subgenial
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Subgenial
Hey what's going on?
Can't we stop this and get back to talking about morals, the law and copyright infringement? All this talk of the ACTUAL program is far too dull in comparison!
'Are we here?'
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
This thread reminds me of a bit of news I learned which may interest some folks here: The British television series "The Real Hustle" is going to be airing sometime in the near future on The Tru TV Channel (formerly known as Court TV) in the U.S.
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
RickDangerous
View Profile
Special user
I can't believe I made
964 Posts

Profile of RickDangerous
Quote:
On 2008-01-02 13:20, MentaThought wrote:
This thread reminds me of a bit of news I learned which may interest some folks here: The British television series "The Real Hustle" is going to be airing sometime in the near future on The Tru TV Channel (formerly known as Court TV) in the U.S.

And in Germany a complete ripoff of the show will be aired in the next couple days.
"Reality is what you can get away with."
Robert A. Wilson

"Think for yourself and question authority."
Timothy Leary
Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Vir_Lucis_Ex_Deus
All unauthorised copies are illegal regardless of use, availability, or finances. You'll just get shafted more depending on what you do with it....try setting up a website with all DBs shows on it for download only to those in the US. See how far you get without Google behind you Smile
JohnEBlaze
View Profile
New user
Maitland, FL
66 Posts

Profile of JohnEBlaze
I think it's going to be great. Although I can understand the ethical question of downloading a special illegally when it isn't available to you. Seems like the natural order of things demands a way for us to buy what we're interested in, no matter where it originally airs.

Although, I'd settle for an airing on Sci Fi Smile
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
I'l stab someone in the eye to get a copy of any new Derren Brown stuff...leagally or otherwise...I'd prefer to buy actual product...

Nathan
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1254 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
Thanks for the tip on video on demand at Channel 4
Kurundur
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
54 Posts

Profile of Kurundur
By the way they changed plans: "Derren's new one hour special "The System" is to be aired on Channel 4 on Friday 1st February 2008 at 9pm." (Source: http://www.derrenbrown.co.uk/news)
"“Who was the first guy that look at a cow and said," I think that I'll drink whatever comes out of those things when I squeeze them?”" - Calvin & Hobbes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » New Derren Brown Special! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL