The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Convention planning for 2008 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jonathanmc
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas, NV
209 Posts

Profile of Jonathanmc
I am trying to plan to get to a convention this next year. I have never been due to work obligations and finances.

If you could only go to one convention (inside the USA) which one would you go to and why?
Tate
View Profile
Loyal user
NC
211 Posts

Profile of Tate
Assuming you want to go to a kid show related convention, as opposed to a general magic convention, I would suggest KIDabra in August in Tennessee. http://www.kidabra.com/

If that's too far to travel, I believe Jolly Roger and friends are still planning one in Arizona. I don't know the details for it.

Tate
drosenbe0813
View Profile
Elite user
Long Island, NY
405 Posts

Profile of drosenbe0813
The one convention for serious (if any of us can be serious) family entertainers is Kidabra. I have learned more from this convention than any other single thing that I have invested in. I learn something every year...and it is the friendliest convention that I can think of. It is not for the hobbyist, because you won't find the latest card move, but you will find solid, workable routines and information.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1126 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
I have always wanted to go to Kidabra,
but am always on the road performing at
Fairs when it is held!

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I totally agree with Tate on this one. If you are a commercial magician, KIDAbra is the best convention about the business of magic. If you are a children's magician this convention is specifically about your work. This is an August convention. That is not always workable for some magicians.

For kid magic, that makes it a toss up for other conventions.

For May 2008, May Magic Madness in Charleston, SC is a good new convention. Another advantage is that it is just one day long. It will have a section on The Business of Magic. (Your's truly will be lecturing on the subject.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Kidabra certainly is a fun convention and one to go to if you are a kid show performer and want to really gain a lot out of your experience. However, if you want a really fun all around magical experience that is not just kid show oriented, then I would have to say the IBM/SAM Combined Convention in July is the place to be. It is going to be simply incredible.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I'd vote for the combined IBM/SAM
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
If you check out the Worldwide Calendar of Magic Events on my site, you are certain to find a convention taking place near you. That calendar is also linked to a Calendar of Magic Lectures... the next best thing to a convention with a lot less distractions. If you belong to a magic club, you might even go to the Lecturer Link page and make the convention come to you by hiring your own lecturers over the space of a year.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
A convention is only as good as the guest lecturer, so without knowing the line up how can anyone make an informed decision? I suggest a visit to the good professor Spellbinders web site would be the smart place to start your process of elimination.

Is there a magic convention in Tahiti?
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"If that's too far to travel, I believe Jolly Roger and friends are still planning one in Arizona. I don't know the details for it. "

I would also love to know if this is taking place. I heard some rumours about January 2009. I believe there was a conflict with The Superbowl in 2008.
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1022 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I'm looking forward to my first Magi-Fest next month.
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

Check Tim's products out here!

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Each person has their reasons for going to conventions and conferences. I'm no different. It's really boils down to what you want to gain from that event or reason for going.

The beauty of this years 2008 combined IBM/SAM Convention is that one gets to visually see quality original performances, and have just about every dealer in the country at that location. One meets all kinds of well known magicians. A dealer usually does well at these type of conventions.

Mini Conventions like Bob Little Super Sunday and Marty Martini's Funarama, is a meeting place of old magic friends and a variety of dealers. Add in an auction like Super Sunday, and one can get so great deals. If clowning, magic, balloons and/or cards are your thing and a friendly atmosphere, then Funarama is a great place. Super Sunday is near me and one of the best mini-conventions I've attended.

One day I will go to Vent Haven just because it is loaded with lots of laughter, and uniqueness for me.

An annual Event is Magician's Alliance of Eastern States (MAES) which is much larger than a mini-convention and not as big as the "Super Conventions like SAM or IBM. This three day convention has the competition many like, close-up for those in to this area, children entertainers, comedians, a variety of lectures great stage shows, and lots of dealers. This is a worth while regional convention. (Focused in the Northeastern section of the country.)

Then, of course there is KIDabra International which can only be "experienced" Words cannot do this convention justice and there are no Magic Conventions, I know that can compare to this one. If you are into family and children entertaining, then this is the conference to attend. Notice I wrote CONFERENCE not Convention, that is because it is a teaching environment for professional children entertainers. If I had only to choose one, then this would be it. It is the one I get the most out of as well and the friendliest group of people ever.
Dennis Michael
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
I am chairman for a convention in Atlanta August 21-23rd 2008 SEAM

http://www.seam2008.org is the web site.

Best
Ken
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1436 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Don't forget Magi-Whirl March 28 & 29, 2008 sponsored by IBM Ring 50 in Washington DC area (from e-mail written by Bob Patterson today to Ring 50 members):

Be sure to get registered for Magi-Whirl 2008 before the price increase on March 16. Magi-Whirl 2008 will be held March 28 & 29 in Alexandria Virginia at the Bishop Ireton High School. It will feature four lectures, three close-up performances, ten magic dealers, and a Gala evening show. For details see the Ring 50 web site: http://www.Magi-Whirl.Org New this year will be on-site food. We will have snacks, coffee, doughnuts, sodas, and we will be taking orders for lunch subs for the attendees. These are ordered and paid the day of, so you will not be able preorder.
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
Quote:
On 2007-12-18 08:26, Tim Hannig wrote:
I'm looking forward to my first Magi-Fest next month.

I'll be there, and am very excited to see your lecture, Tim! Magi-Fest is a great convention! -Jeff
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Kidabra is the way to go. Get your schedule out and mark off the dates for 2008 right now. Don't take any shows during this time! Instead get to Tennessee and you'll come home with more knowledge than you can keep in your head.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I will not be at the combined convention as a dealer. It is too expensive. It would cost almost $3000 to go and exhibit when ou figure all the costs. Now when you add in the extra day for the convention and such, how much money are people really going to have to spend. And if I am going to spend that much this once in a lifetime convention, I would like to see some of it not spend all my time looking across the aisles in an empty dealer room.

I will be at Magi-whirl and the Battle of Magicians. Both are smaller conventions with less costs and give people more of a time to get to know each other.

Kidabra is a good convention if your interests lie in that area. I guess there are so many conventions that you need to decide which one best serve your needs and interests.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
ALASKA MAGIC
View Profile
New user
Fairbanks, Alaska
23 Posts

Profile of ALASKA MAGIC
Jonathanmc

You live in LAS VEGAS! Almost EVERYONE travels there. I've attended Mooseburger camp at Circus Circus a few times. It has a great line up every February of venders, classes, etc. Right in your own home town. Give it a try along with other "clown conventions". They have great venders that sell tricks you can build a fantastic show around; International Clown Convention and Clowns of America International.
They even had a convention here in Fairbanks earlier this year. Shop around and good luck, maybe I'll see you at one of the events.
Lori
BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7383 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I plan to attend KidAbra in 2008. My first time in person. (I've been an invisible registrant before.)

I want to attend because many of the influences I TRUST in the world of kidshow magic will be there to learn from, and spend time with.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would attend any of the McBride Mystery School programs. My second choice would be Kidabra or one Avner the Eccentric mime/movement sessions.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Convention planning for 2008 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL