The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Past Midnight - Full Review (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Marc Spelmann
View Profile
Special user
London U.K.
666 Posts

Profile of Marc Spelmann
Quote:
On 2008-05-30 20:05, Amiable wrote:
I concur with the sentiments that Ben Earl is one helluva cardman, and the Grey Shuffle is one helluva shuffle in his hands. On that note, I've been watching the segment over-and-over, but the cards just doesn't unweave cleanly in my hands while bridged - and it becomes a very real-looking shuffle because it ended up being one Smile

If anyone have hints or tips for how this could be done (or where I could find hints/tips for this), please PM me!

On my original DVD set I perform a false shuffle (Independently created) that is after chatting with Ben almost identical to the Grey Shuffle. I learnt mine via my interpretation of what I thought Lennart Green was doing back in the early 1990's which is exactly the same as with Ben.

The only tip I can offer is that you have to keep doing it again and again, I know that doesn't help loads but it's the truth. When I developed my shuffle the cards went all over the place, so I practiced day in day out over a chair where I could easily pick them up (which I had to do often).

It also helps if the cards you are using are soft, ie they have been broken in a bit, this helps with not cramping the hands up.

You can see my shuffle on my original 4 DVD set The Chapters of Marc Spelmann (Glimpse performance only)
I don;t teach it but it is virtually the same as Ben's creation.

You can also see me do it here on my updated release 'Glimpse 20/20' which is all about my peak card case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH9aV3PXE1E

I actually do the shuffle twice..

Good thoughts

MS
It's not goodbye, just see you later...
Amiable
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of Amiable
Quote:
On 2008-06-02 21:26, Marc Spelmann wrote:

On my original DVD set I perform a false shuffle (Independently created) that is after chatting with Ben almost identical to the Grey Shuffle. I learnt mine via my interpretation of what I thought Lennart Green was doing back in the early 1990's which is exactly the same as with Ben.

The only tip I can offer is that you have to keep doing it again and again, I know that doesn't help loads but it's the truth. When I developed my shuffle the cards went all over the place, so I practiced day in day out over a chair where I could easily pick them up (which I had to do often).

It also helps if the cards you are using are soft, ie they have been broken in a bit, this helps with not cramping the hands up.

You can see my shuffle on my original 4 DVD set The Chapters of Marc Spelmann (Glimpse performance only)
I don;t teach it but it is virtually the same as Ben's creation.

You can also see me do it here on my updated release 'Glimpse 20/20' which is all about my peak card case.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH9aV3PXE1E

I actually do the shuffle twice..

Good thoughts

MS

Thanks Marc for the reply. I've learnt that you need a surface to catch the splattering cards long ago, and it's comforting to know I'm not the only one Smile Man, after the one-handed faro I haven't had to drop the cards so frequently.

Tyler - I've PM'ed you abit more about some of what I (re-)discovered - it's verging on exposure otherwise.

Sorry everyone else for bringing this off topic!
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
170 Posts

Profile of Tyler
I got your pm. Thanks!
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
On his website Jerry Sadowitz gives Ben a good kicking for stealing his name a card triumph idea. Naughty, naughty, very naughty.
dafin77
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of dafin77
I am loving this dvd set. One question though: I don't seem to have a navigation menu on Disk 1. On 2 and 3, I do. Is my disk defective? Eveything else about it seems fine.
David Finkelstein
dafin77@hotmail.com
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
Hey all I got disc 2 (gambling and table magic) a week or so ago. I really do love this dvd. I just wanted to say that I tried the effect called "Sow the Lug" tonight as a lead in to a favorite poker deal and it worked GREAT. The original reviewer didn't like it much, but I now love it. The "magic" happens "at their hand" and totally fools (including my family...and they see a lot of stuff)! Just curious as to whether anyone else uses this. It actually leads in perfectly with my favorite Hold Em deal...and that gets me excited...
Griff
studentoflife
View Profile
Veteran user
Paris, France
310 Posts

Profile of studentoflife
Just curious... which effect from this set gave your audience the strongest reaction? Smile
- Y
<BR>"Nothing is difficult...it's all about what you want, and how bad you want it."
Korhan
View Profile
Regular user
Istanbul, Turkey
105 Posts

Profile of Korhan
I got this set couple months ago and it is the best card magic set I got for last couple of years. So much good material and it's well tought.

I will also get Skin, Benjamin Earl is my one of top performers/teachers now..
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
Yep there is a tonne of great stuff on past Midnight. I recently got Ben's new magazine http://www.gambitmagazine.com/ which features all new material he has come up with, Its worth checking out if you are a fan, I thoroughly enjoyed issue 1.
Barry Donovan
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of Barry Donovan
Got this today

watched the effects on disk 1 and half of disk 2 and my god its good
in fact its to good, cant wait to start learning it!
when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
I heard this was out of print. any word on that?
Noel
View Profile
Loyal user
Surrey, England
205 Posts

Profile of Noel
No it's not, Ben has them.
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
Benjamin Earl is a sleight-of-hand beast. I really enjoyed this DVD set. If you're interested, I just posted a video review of it on my blog: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=1242

Caleb

By the way, the video review format is new for me. Let me know if you have any comments on how I could make them better. PM or email me at caleb@calebwiles.com
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
Vishal Amlani
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Vishal Amlani
Thank you for your wonderful review Smile really helped
Russell Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Hampshire, England
1108 Posts

Profile of Russell Davidson
Anyone want to buy my copy? I didn't like any of it.
kotrozo
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kotrozo
I recently purchased this and I love it so far, but... is it just my imagination or does he NOT explain how to do the 4D Discovery on disk 2. Easy enough to figure out (s*** **t), especially after watching him re-stack the cards during the performance, but, I would think would not necessary be obvious to a newer student of card magic. I'm assuming this was an oversight in the editing but has anyone else noticed this (or am *I* missing something?!?).

great dvd set though, absolutely fantastic from what I've seen so far.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Past Midnight - Full Review (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL