The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Past Midnight - Full Review (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
baou1986
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of baou1986
I love this DVD,it is the best DVD in 2007 I have seen
frankw
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of frankw
The only thing I can say is, "Benjamin Earl is brilliant" !
johnra
View Profile
Elite user
oklahoma
448 Posts

Profile of johnra
This set is on Penguin magic for $75 US.
John Shackelford LIVE!!!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I received the Past Midnight set just before Christmas, but have just today really had a chance to have a look. I've watched just disk 3, the Psychological Card Magic disk, as that is my main area of interest.

Everything about this product is first class, from the packaging of the Disks, the graphics, the quality of the video, and last but by no means least, to the quality of the material and the performer himself.

I'd agree with some here that the material is not for beginners. It does require at least intermediate level knowledge and ability. I would go so far as to say that the more proficient you are with cards, the more you will get out of Ben's material.

I was especially tickled by his "Look-Away peeks", and although my eyesight makes this difficult for me, I think that it is a wonderful subtlety and a fine addition to the think-of-a-card lore.

All of the effects and ideas are strong, clean and mystifying, and all are extremely well explained.

Well done, Mr. Earl.

- entity
hnegash
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of hnegash
In disc 2 (gambling) Ben talks about an anti gravity one handed shift. I think he said that it's Justin Highmes? Does anyone have any further info on this (where has it seen print, am I spelling Justin's last name correctly)? Any bit of info you can offer would be great. Thanks.

Henok
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17083 Posts

Profile of joseph
I don't have the dvds, but maybe he said Justin Hanes ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Yves Tourigny
View Profile
Veteran user
Somewhere in Quebec
323 Posts

Profile of Yves Tourigny
I am quite sure he is speaking of Justin Higham, a british fellow who does awesome card magic and is a technician of the highest order. He has a web site, just google his name and he published many of his effects and methods in some of Roger Crostwaithe books like Roger's Thesaurus.

Yves
sychou
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of sychou
Very nice DVD. He performed for live and normal audience. You can see the reaction from the real world. There is no hype dream. The card at any number routine is highly recommended.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1527 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Live audience? Card at any number? You sure your talking about Ben Earl's dvd's?
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Quote:
On 2008-01-21 07:16, sychou wrote:
Very nice DVD. He performed for live and normal audience. You can see the reaction from the real world. There is no hype dream. The card at any number routine is highly recommended.

There is no acaan in 'Past Midnight', and live audiences other than 1 on 1 with members involved with this project/alakazam etc.
magicwill
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of magicwill
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 13:32, hnegash wrote:
In disc 2 (gambling) Ben talks about an anti gravity one handed shift. I think he said that it's Justin Highmes? Does anyone have any further info on this (where has it seen print, am I spelling Justin's last name correctly)? Any bit of info you can offer would be great. Thanks.

Henok

The shift is is Justin Higham's but it is not in print anywhere yet. Will be well worth looking up as and when it does get released though

Will
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
This DVD set convinced me to learn the One Handed Erdnase Shift and The Anti-Gravity Shift. Now that's finger exercise!
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
Thanks for the reviews and comments, I might have to invest in these at some point. Does the named card triumph differ much from the Jerry Sadowitz one from years back?

Paul.
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1559 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Sorry I don't know it but there is credit given to Jerry Sadowitz on the Triumph so I think they are the same or very close.
They are a great set of dvd's.Most of the stuff is harder then hell!
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
I am so surprised that there is not 10 pages of reviews on this set.

I have only watched the third DVD as this is what most interests me and why I bought it and I have watched it 6 times which is a first for me.

The material on the third mental disc is wonderful its easy to do and if you put the work in you will have some of the strongest mentalism with a deck of cards.

Very good stuff.

Dean
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 14:20, NicholasD wrote:
This DVD set convinced me to learn the One Handed Erdnase Shift and The Anti-Gravity Shift. Now that's finger exercise!

You will get used to the move,after 3 days of practice it wasnt that hard anymore.Its just getting tricky to do this shift if you got less then 20cards in the top pack of the deck.
CyrusTX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CyrusTX
I think these are solid DVDs. Fresh routines. Many new things that I need to work on!

I think they are well worth the price!
Xtasy0
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of Xtasy0
I agree about the third disk, by far it's my favorite and I love thought of card to pocket and the two card transpo. there are some gems on volume 2 as well sow by the lug is great.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1658 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yep!! Very nice set! I'd just like to make a little comment concerning the "Thought of Card to Pocket" and everyone saying it's such a brilliant and extraordinary routine... Well... It IS a nice routine but is it REALLY NEW?? I've been performing this for years now... I'm sorry I don't have any credit right now in mind but it can't be a new idea... Anyone knows something about this???

Btw, Ben's routine is fine, but I'd like to share the way I used to perform it, which, to me, makes more sense: so you ask a member of the audience to name a card, say they call for the 4 of Spades. You take the deck and instead of saying, like Ben does, something like "Are you sure? You don't want the 8 of clubs...", which doesn't really make sense... Hey!! They asked for the the 4 of Spades!!! Listen up a bit... Smile..., you say you will remove all the fours. You do what you have to do (first part only...)... And pull out the other 3 fours (clubs, diamonds and hearts) and show the rest of the deck, proving there is no 4 of spades!!! "Strange isn't it", do you say... You now proceed to the second part and pull out the 4 of Spades out of your pocket...

The method is really the same, but here it makes sense:
1) you can look at the deck because you look for the four cards
2) you don't say anything strange by naming another card
3) you SHOW that it's really NOT in the deck...

Maybe this will help...
Ben
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
If they name a card it's not really a thought of card is it? :0 But I know we can present it that way, years back I used to do a thought of card to wallet. Last time that got a mention anywhere was on the Mentalist's Asylum several years ago.

I used a wallet which had a notepad. On the pad top sheet was a prediction, "You will name the one card removed from the deck."

You look for the card named, then allow them to look with you to see it is not there, then remember you wrote something earlier. Wallet removed, prediction show, and finally you point out the card removed from the deck is in the wallet and remove it from the zippered compartment.

But back to the DVD content...

Paul.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Past Midnight - Full Review (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL