The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Past Midnight - Full Review (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Y2John
View Profile
Inner circle
1498 Posts

Profile of Y2John
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 11:49, goldeneye007 wrote:
Yep!! Very nice set! I'd just like to make a little comment concerning the "Thought of Card to Pocket" and everyone saying it's such a brilliant and extraordinary routine... Well... It IS a nice routine but is it REALLY NEW?? I've been performing this for years now... I'm sorry I don't have any credit right now in mind but it can't be a new idea... Anyone knows something about this???

Btw, Ben's routine is fine, but I'd like to share the way I used to perform it, which, to me, makes more sense: so you ask a member of the audience to name a card, say they call for the 4 of Spades. You take the deck and instead of saying, like Ben does, something like "Are you sure? You don't want the 8 of clubs...", which doesn't really make sense... Hey!! They asked for the the 4 of Spades!!! Listen up a bit... Smile..., you say you will remove all the fours. You do what you have to do (first part only...)... And pull out the other 3 fours (clubs, diamonds and hearts) and show the rest of the deck, proving there is no 4 of spades!!! "Strange isn't it", do you say... You now proceed to the second part and pull out the 4 of Spades out of your pocket...

The method is really the same, but here it makes sense:
1) you can look at the deck because you look for the four cards
2) you don't say anything strange by naming another card
3) you SHOW that it's really NOT in the deck...

Maybe this will help...

I don't agree with you,I think Ben Earls way of presenting it is great, and comes across as more genuine and less a magic trick.
The naming of the other card is to see what they were thinking of before that one etc, it shows that you are genuinely interested in what they thought of.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 13:23, Y2John wrote:
Quote:
Yep!! Very nice set! I'd just like to make a little comment concerning the "Thought of Card to Pocket" and everyone saying it's such a brilliant and extraordinary routine... Well... It IS a nice routine but is it REALLY NEW?? I've been performing this for years now... I'm sorry I don't have any credit right now in mind but it can't be a new idea... Anyone knows something about this???

Btw, Ben's routine is fine, but I'd like to share the way I used to perform it, which, to me, makes more sense: so you ask a member of the audience to name a card, say they call for the 4 of Spades. You take the deck and instead of saying, like Ben does, something like "Are you sure? You don't want the 8 of clubs...", which doesn't really make sense... Hey!! They asked for the the 4 of Spades!!! Listen up a bit... Smile..., you say you will remove all the fours. You do what you have to do (first part only...)... And pull out the other 3 fours (clubs, diamonds and hearts) and show the rest of the deck, proving there is no 4 of spades!!! "Strange isn't it", do you say... You now proceed to the second part and pull out the 4 of Spades out of your pocket...

Maybe this will help...

I don't agree with you,I think Ben Earls way of presenting it is great, and comes across as more genuine and less a magic trick.
The naming of the other card is to see what they were thinking of before that one etc, it shows that you are genuinely interested in what they thought of.

He doesn't say 'Are you sure'...he says 'You didn't happen to have another card in your mind before that did you? A red card perhaps?'...which is perfectly logical, as I have hit several times with asking this, and managed to name the card they thought of before, and have the card they were thinking of in my pocket
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm watching these right now and I just want to say that the people who made it should be congratulated for putting out the expense to get good equipment and taking the time to do it right. It is an amazingly well done DVD from a production standpoint. The content so far is top flight also.
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi MagicSanta,

Glad that you appreciated the work and effort that went into shooting and editing the Past Midnight project. For your interest filming took place from the beginning of last February and ran through until November, so it was a huge project (totaling nearly 600GB of raw footage).

Best,
Russ
double_lift
View Profile
Veteran user
Platform 9 3/4
355 Posts

Profile of double_lift
One of the DVD sets that I've enjoyed most lately. Pretty nice layout and amazing material inside. It's too bad that there are people like Benjamin Earl unknown to most of us, except their closest friends, that have so much to offer to the magic comunity.

Fortunately, he's decided to put all these gems on DVD...
"There's a world of difference between the spectators not knowing how something is done and them knowing that it can't be done."
(Simon Aronson)
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1658 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 14:08, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe this will help...

He doesn't say 'Are you sure'...he says 'You didn't happen to have another card in your mind before that did you? A red card perhaps?'...which is perfectly logical, as I have hit several times with asking this, and managed to name the card they thought of before, and have the card they were thinking of in my pocket

Hello again!

First of all, I really want yo assure you that I respect your opinions AND Ben's presentation. Yes, he does say "You didn't happen to... etc...", BUT, I still feel it's somehow weird to say this. As I already said, they already name a card, why name another one??? Of course, if it happend that they first thought of a first one and then changed their mind for another one, yes, it does seem to be a miracle... But I don't think it's natural to proceed this way.

One of the great advantages of Ben's routine is that it's quick and straight to the point, you don't have to go through the procedure of going throught the deck and remove the three other cards. BUT, on the other hand, their is a greater chance of getting burnt with Ben's presentation, because everyone will probably look at your hands! While if you clearly show, without any suspicious move, that the card is not in the deck anymore, well... it's not in the deck!! So the audience will feel relaxed: for them the routine is nearly over, when in fact it just beginns... But again, Ben's version may seem more a mentalist type of thing and not just a card trick...

Please don't think I'm fighting for my presentation just because it's the way I always used to do it... I've already changed my mind quit often for better ideas. AND I don't say my way of presenting this is better, I just say it has a few advantages, Ben's version has other...

Anyway... At the beginning I was jut wondering if this routine was new... I already hear some of you say: "Of course it's new!! It's Ben's way of presenting it!!"... Smile Well... In that case, yes, maybe it's a little new...

Ben's set is really great, of very good quality. It's just a pity there aren't more DVD releases at that standard...

Cheers!
Ben
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Quote:

Maybe........check out "Self Control" by Leroy in Hugards Encyclopaedia of Card Tricks.......apart form the presentation, the handling is very close, and the effect pretty much the same......
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4455 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-01-31 06:22, goldeneye007 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 14:08, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe this will help...

Hello again!

First of all, I really want yo assure you that I respect your opinions AND Ben's presentation. Yes, he does say "You didn't happen to... etc...", BUT, I still feel it's somehow weird to say this. As I already said, they already name a card, why name another one??? Of course, if it happend that they first thought of a first one and then changed their mind for another one, yes, it does seem to be a miracle... But I don't think it's natural to proceed this way.

One of the great advantages of Ben's routine is that it's quick and straight to the point, you don't have to go through the procedure of going throught the deck and remove the three other cards. BUT, on the other hand, their is a greater chance of getting burnt with Ben's presentation, because everyone will probably look at your hands! While if you clearly show, without any suspicious move, that the card is not in the deck anymore, well... it's not in the deck!! So the audience will feel relaxed: for them the routine is nearly over, when in fact it just beginns... But again, Ben's version may seem more a mentalist type of thing and not just a card trick...

Please don't think I'm fighting for my presentation just because it's the way I always used to do it... I've already changed my mind quit often for better ideas. AND I don't say my way of presenting this is better, I just say it has a few advantages, Ben's version has other...

Anyway... At the beginning I was jut wondering if this routine was new... I already hear some of you say: "Of course it's new!! It's Ben's way of presenting it!!"... Smile Well... In that case, yes, maybe it's a little new...

Ben's set is really great, of very good quality. It's just a pity there aren't more DVD releases at that standard...

Cheers!

You say tomato, I say tomato...wait...that doesn't work in writing...lol... no, it is nothing new. I said to people when I learned this that I had been doing it for years, and I have been, however, Ben has some great handlings and tips on this, and has structured it better that I used to, and since learning his, I have been inspired to improve my own, which I have done, and I think EVERYONE will personalise it as they should. But I cannot take away that Bens ideas for this really are clever, and not something I have seen before. As it is one of those effects where Magicians think 'Well that's obvious'...but it is his touches etc that take it away from being obvious, and make it worth it being on the DVD
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1658 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Thank you Paul for mentioning your routine, I just noticed! Nice idea!! And thanks Doctor REvil for your indications concerning earlier publication of the effect!!!

Yes, Ben's handling might be new (I mean compared to what has been published). Yes, further tips and ideas are very useful to magicians who want to improve their handling, and yes, the "touch" you can bring to a routine can turn a "trick" into a miracle.

However, for the various reasons I already stated, and AGAIN, I've nothing against Ben's routine or Ben himself or the DVD set which is really great, I just was not that sensible to the improvements he might have made on this particular routine: to mee, it MAY look like you try to win a little time by naming back a different card than the specatator. But, AGAIN, it's only my opinion...

And I'm happy with the fact this routine is on the DVD, where it sure has its place. When you feel something is weird, it makes you think why this very something feels strange, and that alone is important when you want to improve.
Ben
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Credit should also go to Ben Harris for the Collectors via the Double Deal from his small booklet One AM the Sequal, sometime in the late 80's, maybe early 90's not sure off-hand......Benjamin's idea to split the double is what makes this handling a fantastic improvement......
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1658 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yes, true!! Thanks for the precision!
Ben
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4296 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Just put in my order, I'm excited.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Last night, visiting a friend, he said, "I think you'll like this," and put on the third DVD of the series.

Besides the production values, I was impressed with the location, which I believe is Peter Nardi's new mansion bought with the profits from previous DVDs. I just hope he sells enough of this new set to buy some furniture, as the place looks rather empty with just two chairs.

AS for the material, it was a joy to watch Ben perform so much quality material. Many DVDs have one or two good items with a load of padding. This is a rare gem amongst a plethora of humdrum "more of the same".

Every effect was direct, simple and commercial.

Pseudo Brainwave especially appealed to my sense of humour, as part of the misdirection is to be boring, something that 95% of card magicians will have no trouble with.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1658 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
YES!!! I also was very impressed with the mansion where the DVD was shot!!! I didn't know it belonged to Peter Nardi!!! What a lucky guy!!!
Ben
russ stevens
View Profile
Special user
Russ Stevens
571 Posts

Profile of russ stevens
Hi Quentin,

Despite his obvious success, Peter has managed not let things go to his head. He always keeps that common touch as he waves goodbye to us all from the wheels of his brand new Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, heading back to the mansion after a hard days work.

Best,
Russ
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Past Midnight is terrific but is any body having the same problem as me with Ramjollock. After the second shuffle I occasionaly find the Queen and King out of place, usually with the Ace in between them. Would appreciate a pm or normal reply PLEASE. Thank you.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 13:13, Paul wrote:
If they name a card it's not really a thought of card is it? :0 But I know we can present it that way, years back I used to do a thought of card to wallet. Last time that got a mention anywhere was on the Mentalist's Asylum several years ago.

I used a wallet which had a notepad. On the pad top sheet was a prediction, "You will name the one card removed from the deck."

You look for the card named, then allow them to look with you to see it is not there, then remember you wrote something earlier. Wallet removed, prediction show, and finally you point out the card removed from the deck is in the wallet and remove it from the zippered compartment.

But back to the DVD content...

Paul.

That is quite clever and very kind of you to share.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4296 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I have a feeling I'm going to love this set. I've been looking for great card material for a while.
Philippe
View Profile
Special user
658 Posts

Profile of Philippe
Any problem with Ramjollock?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Gee . . . after all that praise I had no choice than to pull out my Cred Card and order . . . .

And . . . am I glad that I did it.

My impression . . .

Top notch production.
Great handling skills.
The presentation was rather dry, more casual. It felt more like a magician shows other magicians a trick, which works fine for me as well.
Contents range from nice to great.
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Past Midnight - Full Review (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL