The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye tubes info (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Hi guys!
Can I please know which dye tube is the best out there?! There are so many! Talk to me about the Porper one! Thanks guys!
Bye!
Eric
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
762 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Depending on the size of the silks used it really can make a difference. I got mine from Johnson products and will be ordering more at the end of the month. They hold an 18 inch silk and work fine. The hank ball also has many possibilities and holds much more silks.
Close up coin magic.

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Eric,

That is really up to you and your uses. My guess is that that will also change over time.

The main thing is to remember to measure by the effect and not the materials. You are the primary cause of the effect! What facilitates you best?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
I'll PM you Bob, thanks!
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
786 Posts

Profile of tedski
Check out Rice's Silk King Studios - click on their banner here at the Café.
Magicque
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of Magicque
Thanks Tedski! The palmo one looks fine!
Peder Andersson
View Profile
New user
Sweden
18 Posts

Profile of Peder Andersson
Just keep in mind that the palmo marketed by Rice is rather small. I prefer the larger palmo sold by Lock Family Magic since I do the color changing silk with 18" silks.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
The Rice website claims you can make vanishes, production, or color changes with their Palmo.

I have the Rice Palmo, and you can use it to vanish an 18", 5-6M silk.

By the way, I love the Rice Palmo and would highly recommend it. I also have their Simplex Gimmick which is great for smaller silks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
188 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi Everyone,

Having just acquired Billy McComb's "Half-Dyed Hank", I find that, unfortunately, the gimmicks are somewhat too large for my the size of my hands. Is there any suitable alternative that I can use?

Many thanks, in advance, for your help.
Best Wishes,
Lester
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
The first thing is to determine what size you feel comfortable with in your hand. Try to get some plastic plumbing pipe. They make a variety of sizes. Then oval the shape so it is more comfortable. This is important as it does make the hand seem less loaded with something. Then work to see what you can fit into that size tube. You can also take plastic film cans or presecription bottles. The gimmick is not all that important. Billy used an old Ronson lighter can cut down. Find something the size you feel comfortable with.

The basic McComb silks are 15" 6 momme silks. I made my own gimmicks even a little bigger than Billy's and they are comfortable. Remember you have lot of cover with the silks.

Palmos can work but not to do the routine as Billy did it. Duane Laflin has version without a tube switch using his larger sized palmo. That palmo is larger than Rice's original and may not be comfortable for you. Also remember Duane has large hands. His routine is on his Palmo DVD.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lester,

Unfortunately, the sizes (bulk) of the silks determines the load space needed. To make the dye tube shorter you must compensate by making the diameter larger. Experiment with plastic bottles or necks to plastic bottles that can be cut to length. They can be covered with flesh colored medical tape.

Another suggestion is to use a plastic Easter egg with holes cut in the ends. Tape or glue the two pieces together with a short piece of ribbon in the center to separate and hold the loads in place. Again the outside can be covered with flesh colored medical tape.

Money is no object to a magician on a mission!

Bob Sanders (Robert Lester Sanders)
Magic By Sander

PS --- Lucy tells me I'm lecturing there in 2010. Come catch a silk lecture.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
188 Posts

Profile of Lester
Hi,

I would just like to say a big thank you to Richard and Bob for their invaluable help regarding my Half-Dyed Silk problem. I shall investigate the possibilities of other recepticles!

Best Wishes,

Lester
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Eleazar Goodenough developed his Pop-Over Silk Dye gimmick specifically because his eight-year old hands were too small to handle larger metal gimmicks. I use it because my arthritic hands can no longer work with the larger dye tubes comfortably. It's described in The Wizards' Journal #9 on my site and might be another solution for you.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
soleil
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of soleil
Why not making one at home. Its easy using a Vitamine C plastic tube, some ribbon and adhesive tape. Takes you 20 min. Put some flesh color tape ouside and you are ready. That's what I did for my act and it works great. I use it several years already.
For color changes make sure you buy a dye tube with ribbon separation cause this is the best and most problem free tube.
Hope this helps,
best,
Soleil
"Art is the Artist. The Artist is God."- Goete
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5701 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have also made dye tubes. The one I like best is actually more of vanisher than a dye tube. I took a small vitamin bottle, cut the top down, and epoxied a nylon washer to the top. I filed the washer to the size that fit my finger. I also used the epoxy to smooth everything up and fill in any unwanted gaps. I lightly sanded the outside and paited ot with skintone-colored paint. It works great for a silk vanish....much like a Simplex gimmick would.....only I can use larger silks.

Regan
Mister Mystery
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 08:54, Lester wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Having just acquired Billy McComb's "Half-Dyed Hank", I find that, unfortunately, the gimmicks are somewhat too large for my the size of my hands. Is there any suitable alternative that I can use?

Many thanks, in advance, for your help.
Best Wishes,
Lester

Recently I changed to the Porper dye tube for the half dyed hanks and it was one of the best moves I've made. However, be sure you are using the silk version and not the heavier material that comes with some.

Gil Scott
Financial Planner
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Financial Planner
Does anybody know what the capacity of the Porper Dye Tube is? For a routine I am working on, I need to fit a 5 momme twenty four inch silk inside. If I purchase the Porper tube, will I be able to perform with my silks?
rmendez
View Profile
Inner circle
San Antonio, Texas
1324 Posts

Profile of rmendez
My favorite is the classic Rice Simplex Dye Tube for 12" silks which appear 18" if you are using diamond cut silks. Thanks to Bob Sanders, I have enough 9" diamond cut silks (which appear 12") for my smaller close-up rubber dye tubes to last me for many years to come.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of eb02
This is the best - "Palmo"
It is round without the insert.
I am working with it for many years.

http://www.silkkingmagic.com/Rice's%20Palmo.htm
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Most people sell/buy dye tubes really made for 12" square silks. That is pretty standard around the globe and regardless of the material used for the dye tube. They work just fine.

Here are two suggestions for making the effects more visual by making the silks appear larger.

First (and cheapest) is to use 4"x36" streamers instead of square silks. The cargo space is the same but the presentation much more impressive due to the great range of motion required.

Second (and about 50% more expensive) is to use 18" (true) diamond cut silks. They take the same space as the 12" square but with a 37" diagonal measurement, appear to be 24" squares (4 times the size!).

In both cases, the length of the magician's reach needs to be considered. For a small magician, the 12" (true) diamond cut will appear to be an 18" square with a diagonal length of 25 inches. It will still appear to be 2.25 times the size of a 12" square.

Don't forget that diamond cut silks like all other silks are ONLY measured by the length of the hemmed edge. Don't be rooked into paying for the next size up by a dealer who labels them by the way they look rather than the actual measurement. It is unfortunate that the practice is not rare. (As the importer, I package them correctly labeled by size but frequently find that at the retail level the DoveLite package has been replaced with a clear plastic bag and the mislabeled size. It's a trick I don't find very honest or entertaining.)

Sometime compare these items and decide which you would rather show an audience. Unless it is an art silk or a message silk, squares are likely a poor choice.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Dye tubes info (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL