We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Original Sam the Bellhopish lines (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I thought it might be fun for everyone to share their favorite original line for a story telling deck theme.
Yakworld.
martinkaplan
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
I do Sam the Bellhop and I have included a line where the gambler asks Sam if he has any kids and the answer, as I turn over the 3 1/2 of Clubs is, "Three with one on the way."

-Marty
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
That is a brilliant idea, Marty! Very funny! There's nothing wrong with a little gag here and there to get the audience laughing. And for the record, 3 1/2 is a card. It's rectangular, probably made of cardboard...

The point is, you found a way to personalize your version of the routine and that shows a creative mind is at work here. More magicians could benefit from that.

Great idea!
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
saturnin
View Profile
Special user
Montreal, Canada
964 Posts

Profile of saturnin
Doc Eason has been using a blank face card for many years in his Sam the Bellhop routine...

Ronnie Lemieux
Montreal
Canada
There is no road to happiness,

happiness is the road!
Michael Bradbury
View Profile
New user
Limassol, Cyprus
40 Posts

Profile of Michael Bradbury
I'm sorry, Burt. It's been awhile performing this effect, with end result forgeting the story.

I will watch it again soon and post the story.

Kind Regards,
Michael Bradbury
The %90 of the art of Magic is in your performance - not in your magic tricks
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
Marty: Brilliant!

Thirston: By narrowing your view of what constitutes "real" you are limiting your imagination. Magic is about imagination. Expand your horizons; there's a whole world of magic waiting for you out there.

Jim
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6036 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
One of the interesting things about people that are really into card magic is that they seem to not like using cards that make an effect look like it is a trick deck. Cards like the three and a half of clubs for example...

When an audience sees that car the three and a half of clubs in a deck - any deck they might think that it is a trick deck of cards... Because it doesn't exist in a standard 52 deck of cards...

An interesting theory in magic...

But as an entertainer I feel that that and other ideas are great ideas. Because the point of entertaining with magic is to be entertaining. If a magician is doing a show - who cares if it is a trick deck - or if he or she is using the tree and a half of clubs...

As long as the audience laughs and has a good time...

Great idea...
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
"Story" tricks work best on me as a spectator when I see them done with a borrowed deck. Actually, most tricks work best on me if you're using my deck. I'll willingly suspend my disbelief and be truly amazed at your skill and storytelling ability if I know you haven't been sitting at home sorting your cards and trying to remember "7... what does the 7 stand for?" for hours before you show me a story trick. Otherwise: what's the point? Where's the skill?
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
CamelotFX, are you saying that you perform Sam the Bellhop with a borrowed, unsorted deck? This I've gotta see!

And I'm starting to have trouble understanding you, Thirston.

CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
Me? Perform Sam? And with a borrowed deck? Not without ten minutes in the bathroom first! What I was saying was that I would like to see YOU do it! That would amaze me indeed.

Let me know when you're ready! Smile
zaki_rafih99
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of zaki_rafih99
I understand what the confusion is I think. Thirston thinks if you use a 3 and 1/2 card, the spectators might think the deck is S** U* or something. But remember in Sam The Bellhop you are showing them cards that you are going to name anyways, so it shouldnt REALLY matter, they see you are *shuffling them regardless.

Hope that doesn't add to the confusion...
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2005-01-03 09:46, Thirston wrote:
A blank card is not a real card.

Then neither is a business card but I'll keep handing them out because they work Smile
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Quote:
On 2005-01-03 14:25, CamelotFX wrote:
Me? Perform Sam? And with a borrowed deck? Not without ten minutes in the bathroom first! What I was saying was that I would like to see YOU do it! That would amaze me indeed.

Let me know when you're ready! Smile

When did I claim that I could do that?

CamelotFX
View Profile
Special user
Minnesota
596 Posts

Profile of CamelotFX
On 2005-01-03 16:17, Reis O'Brien wrote:
Quote:
When did I claim that I could do that?

You didn't. I stated that I am most impressed by tricks that use a borrowed deck or my deck. You then asked if I did Sam with a borrowed deck? I replied no, but I'd be impressed to see YOU do it! And I really would be too. Honest!

You may assume from this that I am not impressed by Sam the Bellhop either, because I've never seen it done with a borrowed deck. But I would be if I did. And if anybody could do it, Firedice could. Me? I've never done Sam. If I could do it with your deck (and no time in the bathroom) then I would.

On second thought, nah. I wouldn't.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5682 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Thirston makes an interesting point. Any clearly gaff card creates the air that this is just a set up. Marty's line is a fun one, but at what expense to the feeling of magic? Then again, to what degree does "Sam" lend itself to magic rather than just plain unadulterated entertainment?

Cheers,

Tom
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Why not get back to the original post, assuming anyone still remembers what it's about?

Sam the Bellhop -- or Joe the Bartender, or whatever -- is a peculiar routine. The big problem with the way it is usually done is that it doesn't so much end as stop!

I do a number of different versions -- an actor, four cowboys, Joe the bartender -- and in every case I finish with a "hard" close; the trick just doesn't peter out with someone winning a game of cards (so what?)
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
2240 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Bill Malone, the contemporary name most associated with "Sam the Bellhop", makes no pretense whatsoever of attempting to create a story that fits random ordered cards dealt from a shuffled deck. He often leads into a sentence about the next card (or cards) before the reveal, making the concept of "spontaneity" impossible.

At one or more points in his presentation he plays with a spectator, openly negating the spectator's cut several times, all for a laugh.

The real magic, in the audience's mind, comes from:

1) All those impossibly real looking shuffles and cuts, but the cards still come in an order that fit's Malone's storyline, and
2) That a storyline exists using every single card in the deck - once and only once - and the story flows and has some entertainment value (beginning, middle and end)

That's it, and the idea of ad-libbing from a random order is never even considered; at least not the way Bill Malone does it.

So, with entertainment being the goal, and random order being irrelevant, the whole question of whether a specially printed card is "real" or not is actually kind of silly. I personally think the "3 kids and one on the way" gag is clever, original and fits the routine perfectly.

Regards,
Thomas Wayne
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
BTW, anyone interested in my original! version, involving a Shakespearean actor, complete with an ending (rather than a stopping) simply check out the Linking Ring magazine for my monthly Showtime column of November, 2002, or e-mail me and I'll gladly send it to you free.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26929 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Thanks for letting us know about an alternative script for the trick Peter. The more options we have in performing a piece, the more likely we can find one that suits us.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Tim Sutton
View Profile
Elite user
Tim Sutton AIMC, London UK
460 Posts

Profile of Tim Sutton
Well, you have to have a first post sometime..

I've recently learnt the wonderful Sam the Bellhop. The patter on the Malone DVD is fantastic, but some of it doesn't work for an English audience. Therefore, instead of using Sam's address (1329 West 8th Street - we don't have them streets in these parts) I say 'No, I'm 39, but I can trace my family back 8 centuries to 1293.."

Tim
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Original Sam the Bellhopish lines (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL