The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Torch to rose for beginner? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
The topic is pretty much the question. Is the Torch to Rose bad for a beginner?
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
The only marketed version I've ever seen produced a cruddy looking fake rose, don't buy that one. Nothing quite says *tacky* like a fake rose that smells like burning cotton or lighter fluid.

I'd say this one might not be all that great for beginners.

I can think of 5 ways off-hand to produce a similar effect with a real rose that do not include buying anything besides flash paper. And I'm sure you can too if you give it some thought.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
Thank you very much!
I`ll try to find out a way as you said.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
On the flicking fingers video, a nice real rose production is taught. There is one item you need in order to perform it and it is nothing you cannot find around the house.

Like Gaddy mentioned, you can just add some flash paper and vanish the cane and you're done.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
Thanks!
:xmas:
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
Depends also on your age. A six or seven year old playing with fire is not recommended!
The Magical World of Jardini
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
As Jardini said, if you're under the age of 18, I wouldn't recommend it. If you are over 18 (or very mature), as everyone else said, buy one in which the rose looks very close to real. You don't want to turn a torch into a fake-looking, tacky rose.
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
Thank you!

I'm just 12. (Always honest on my age.)

"You don't want to turn a torch into a fake-looking, tacky rose."

Or a lit torch into to lit rose. Smile
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Magic, at your age, I wouldn't do fire. Magic, who do you mainly preform for? Your friends, adults, kids? For a beginner, start of with card tricks and coin tricks. I highly recommend Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. You can find it online, and on Penguin it's only 9.95$! Once you progress into magic, then consider doing fire magic. But remember, it's dangerous and can go south very fast.
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Oh, don't forget to buy books and DVDs, practice in front of mirrors, and video tape yourself practising. Books and DVDs sometimes are better than one prop.
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
I haven't performed yet.
I just wanted to know if it was good or not. (No harm in knowledge.)
I'm gonna buy some books very soon. Wilson's Course and Now You See It, Now You Don't.
Michael J. Douglas
View Profile
Inner circle
WV, USA
1645 Posts

Profile of Michael J. Douglas
Torch to Rose is a stage effect. It's not something you would want to perform standing next to someone because the rose is obviously fake at that range and it's not examinable. If you're just starting out, study Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. I wish I had it when I was starting out! And you can get it autographed and direct from the source here.
Michael J.
�Believe then, if you please, that I can do strange things.� --from Shakespeare�s �As You Like It�
Sindre
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Sindre
I'm most interested in stage magic. Does the Mark Wilson course cover that?
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
Magic do you enjoy performing for adults , or kids ? or perhaps your own ages , teenagers?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Torch to rose for beginner? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL