The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance personality (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I was wondering what the mainstream personality is among many of you...

I've seen magicians range from a serious/mystical persona to comical stand-up type persona's.

What type of performer are you, and why?
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Light comedy, mostly a slight exaggeration of my own personality.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Ditto Photius.
My typical stage persona is just a slight exaggeration of my own personality. I'm working on a Renaissance Faire persona right now that will be a greatly exaggerated version of myself, only with a ren faire accent! (note I did NOT say an English accent...)

I think it's best to work with what you've got, as opposed to attempting to acquire something you do not possess.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
JackScratch
View Profile
Inner circle
2151 Posts

Profile of JackScratch
Straight man to my audiences comedic duo. I make the audience members my comedic foils.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
The best advice that I've heard is to be yourself. Make your stage personality maybe an exaggerated version of yourself. In my case, I'm actually pretty shy, so my personality is what it would be if I weren't so shy. I try to imagine that I'm performing for friends rather than strangers.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I find playing myself comes pretty naturally!

Actually I do both comedy and elegant magic but in different sets. (My audiences are usually accomplished adults.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Thanks all.

Im finding that I like the more serious persona with some dry "Steven Wright" type humor thrown in.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I play a very high energy, stand-up type, booze loving con man.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
Mine is Serious and Silent most of the time You have to find what suits you and go with that for some comedy is great for others it may not work what is your personality and go from there!
The Magical World of Jardini
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
Although your personality may be rooted from a single place, I think it must change depending on what situation your in. The personality I use for festival shows would not go down well in a restaurant situation!

I'm usually quite an eccentric and high energy performer. This is really an amplified version of myself, or at least a certain side of myself. This is in stage and larger show situations.

Although many performers recommend to be yourself more exaggerated, many others recommend the exact opposite. Sylvester the Jester in his Q&A here a while back recommends to be the thing you want to be rather than the thing you are. It all depends on the type of person you are.
Yours,
Matt Wood
engineer_star
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of engineer_star
Mine is Comedy/High Energy/Elegant. If you are in a crowd, you find multiple personalities. So I play towards that. It also depends on the situation. If the crowd expects a comedy magician then I'm leading with that.

My overall motive is that the clients leave happy and amazed with magic.
Sam
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
Mine would sorda be playing myself. Funny, not to serious ect.

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Best part of wt I read is yes friends pls b yourself. Do not try to copy others it's not ethical. Straight magic? Well... Yr audience needs to laugh a bit don't dry them up to much if yr a serious stand up intertainer,pls gv them a giggle or 2. Remember yr best audience when starting r yr friends and above all yr famuly.O and practice till yr hands fall off. Ciao 4 now.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Sorry for the spelling, its (family)
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Always good to see someone new posting and contributing, but a small request.

Most folks don't read The Café from a telephone or other text messaging device. So while your message was definitely readable and I appreciate your correcting your spelling, please use full words or acronyms, it's easier for us old guys to read.

Just a request. Feel free to ignore it.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Thanks Marty. Pont well taken. It's a habit when writing in the web world.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
(Point)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Performance personality (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL