The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Fate" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I ran accross this a few weeks back. Its not normally the style Id use in a show but it has really proven itself to be a strong strong opener..in fact, I'm loving every minute of it. Its based on such a strong subject matter..over our lives being prewritten..fate.

Ive always had a hard time preparing an audience to what they are about to witness for the next hour. Im not the type of act who portrays to have strong powers.. in fact I hated it when audience left thinking I did. I play more of the mediator of events and use 30 audience members who become the stars throughout the show.

Fate made it easy to slowly bring them into strange happenings that youve always heard about, but never witnessed as being proven. For those who don't know the piece, you have five people come onto the stage. Four of them each choose to stand on any of the 4 random tarkets on the stage. You then show 6 poker chips (3 red 3 black) each wrapped in foil to hide the colors. Each of the four members choose a packet and each is unwrapped revealing the color chip they chose, leaving two on the table. You then reveal prediction after prediction about the colors they ended up with, and even what colors were left on the table. Then the kicker is each turn over their target they stand on and it reveals another revelation that had to be fate.

Reading it, doesn't sound particularly strong. But even performing it, you see what they see and it makes your mind spin. Things so randomly chosen (where to stand and what foil to choose) to be predicted with no sense of gimmick or trickery. I did change one thing. Instead of showing the many predictions on each individual laminate card, I have written the predictions on a large dry erase board hanging. The cards seemed to cheap and manufactured. The hand writing on the board gives it more of a personal feel to the audience. They understand it was written beforehand and no funny business.

Anyway, this is a great opener for me. Because it is very upfront, you can concentrate on your performance and its great to give the first impression of your presence without being nervous. Hard to mess this one up, so nothing to be nervous about.

Thought id share my feelings on this. Highly recommended. Would love to hear of any other changes people made. Ive read about using the purses instead of foil. I like the foil.
Ezzet
View Profile
Veteran user
Sweden
391 Posts

Profile of Ezzet
I like the effect but always thought that the foil would be to obvious. So after practising I tried to perform it once. Maybe it was my performance but the spectators told me afterward how the foils working was easily figured out. I havent dared tried it since. But ive heard that some people use larry beckers coin purses for the effect. I will probably try that out. My only question is for those of you that have the purses. Can the spectators open the purses and dump the coin / chip out ?

Thanks

Ezzet
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I would suggest that you may want to look at your performance again. You may have given the foil wrapping too much prominence in the routine. Whatever device you decide to use, remember that the package you have the chip in is nothing more than something to hold the chip. Nothing more or less than that. There is not need to bring any attention to it at all.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
I didn't have any foil issues. In fact, before they pick their foil packets, I mix them up just to assure them that there is no order in the chips, making it seem that much more random. A friend of mine even suggested at one time that you could take each chip and fold it into the packet in front of the audience just to show 3 red and 3 blue. To me it was overkill, as you stated, there shouldnt be much attention drawn to them, but would be a nice touch and easy enough to do.

I also use foil found at party supply shops.. usually a bright color with some sort of print like four leaf clovers. Makes it look more like a package than just foil. I think it may help take some heat off psychologicaly.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Is this in print or a marketed effect?
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
As to the Larry Becker coin purses... no... I do not let them open the purse, however you can dump the coin directly into their palm which adds some conviction.

Oh, and I use Kennedy half dollars and old English pennies instead of the poker chips... just seemed to tie in with the whole coin purse theme... my signs have Copper/Silver vs Red/Blue..

Enjoy the day, - Nicodemus
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I also use the Becker purses- and it's no problem, and easier to setup. I also let the spec mix them up first- and as Nicodemus says, you can plainly and openly dump them out for the spectator.

As you've said, a great opener...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
664 Posts

Profile of Bedford
I have a 2-man mentalist show, and my partner uses "Fate" during one of his portions of the act. As he unfolds each foil packet he puts the foil in his pocket in the act of giving the spec the chip. It gets the foil out of view and focuses attention on the chip where it belongs. He's been doing it since the effect came out and it gets excellent response every time.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Harm
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Harm
I also use the "coin purse" and I also dump the chip in their open hands. Depending on which colour they "choose" I also let them look inside the purse to convince them there's nothing else inside.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1917 Posts

Profile of DT3
On another note, there is a remarkable open prediction effect called "Fate" in the brilliant Mick Ayres book "Predictabilities"

It's so clean and smooth!

D.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "Fate" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL