The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Up for a puzzle? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I have a request for all of you mentalists. Because you read minds, I know you are aware already what I am about to say. For you lurkers, this is the request/challenge:

I was in an art and crafts store today, and I purchased a pack of 4 small (4x6), blank puzzles. You put your artwork/design/writing on it.

I was wondering of how to work this into a mentalism routine. Here are some thoughts:

1. Have the pieces pulled apart on the table. Then go into Alain Nu's Nu Wave, and when the final queen is revealed, the pieces go together an form the prediction.

2. Have a spectator select any card (wink, wink), put the blank pieces of the puzzle along with red and black Sharpies (the small kind) into Jay Sankey's Gemini Pouch, shake the contents up a little. Let an appropriate amount of time pass in order for the magic to work, and pull out the pieces with writing on it and the Sharpies now open. If the spectator selects a black card, the black Sharpie is used to draw the card and the red one is used to write a message (and vice versa).

3. This one is from my wife: Take Max Maven's Four Sided Triangle one step further and have the puzzle pieces be yet one more revelation in this already very strong effect.

I would love to hear what type of twist the rest of you have.

Thanks in advance,

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
2930 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
I guess the puzzle, when put together, can be your prediction.

Jay Sankey has an effect on 22 Blows to the Head or Boris Pocus with a puzzle, but the pieces are all the same shape. I think a participant arranges them and they are turned over to form a picture of Mona Lisa…or something like that. I should remember this better.

Thanks,

Elliott
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
That is the ol' Alpha Mind / Beta Mind routine - and its on my fav DVD of his - Boris Pokus... and really, its using his P****C*** methodology - but it is fun...
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
My favorite DVD as well, but it is also on his new Hemispheres DVD.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Elliott,

Thanks for the info. I have Boris Pocus, and I must have overlooked it. I am going to put it in the player now.

Appreciate the feedback.

Bobby

p.s. Dr. Spektor mentioned the P.C. methodology, and I am going to see how your handling differs in Switchcraft, if at all, from Sankey's in his video.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Well, I watched Boris Pocus, and the Mona Lisa effect was nice, but not quite what I had in mind. Another thing I was thinking (because these are pieces of a jigsaw puzzle) was to have a spectator hand me one piece at a time. As I receive each piece, I darken in a portion of the piece and put it into something like the Gemini Pouch.

When I pick up the pouch and put all of the pieces together, they form an image of a selected card or some other type of visual prediction.

Bobby
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
I thought the mona lisa routine was the highlight of his vid. you could cut the pieces into puzzle shape pieces if you wish
"He must be content to rank with the common herd." - S.W. Erdnase
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
You could also do 9 pieces if you are a wild man and great with the PC/or other switchcraft techniques... that would fit more with the sliding puzzle bits...

Other idea, coming from my mizarre mind - do a LeMarchand Puzzle Box effect... even if you screw up, something interesting will happen when the Cenobites appear.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Hve pieces from two jigsaws mixed up - then spec seperatates them into the two different puzzles, like OOTW
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
I appreciate all of the feedback, and fishwasher has a nice idea. It sort of plays into another variation on a puzzle theme I have been exploring. I have not been overly fond of my initial ideas, but we are brainstorming here.

I was thinking of showing a blank puzzle (this would be the 16-piece puzzle I purchased from the arts and crafts store). Force feed a freely selected selected card to a volunteer, who memorizes it and hides it away.

Next hand the volunteer the blank puzzle and ask him (or her) to break it into separate pieces and mix them up on the table. The spectator is asked to think about his card and hand you one piece of the puzzle at a time. Using a "magic" marker, draw/scribble/write on the individual pieces and throw them into a homemade, lunch ch***e bag on the table.

After the 16th piece is tossed into the bag, you can talk about how the term "single thought" is an oxymoron, Because when thinking of a single card, you have to think about the value, think about the suit, and think about the white paperboard on which the value and suit is printed.

Pick up the bag, toss the pieces onto the table and ask the volunteer to put the pieces together. When finished, it matches the selected card.

Now, that was what I was thinking.

But enter fishwater's suggestion, and you can do it with two of the bags. The volunteer picks up two pieces and tells the magician to put one on the right and the other on the left. I like it. I would guess having the puzzles reveal two predictions would be overkill. No?

Bobby
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Up for a puzzle? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL