The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Update on David Copperfield (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
That is the implication of the story as told by the driver. That DC tried to force himself on the girl, and was denied.

And to be more specific:

He tells the tabloid, "I know when someone is having consensual sex in my limousine, but what was going on this time was different.

"They were struggling and I heard raised voices. I could hear the girl saying: 'No. Get off me' and 'Stop'. "
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Maybe the limo driver misinterpreted what was going on? Maybe they were having a good time, he tried to go for it, and she said no, get off me, stop. He stopped when she said those words. Is this attempted rape? If so, then I guess a lot of guys are guilty.

Then again, maybe the whole story was made up. We were not there, so we can't know.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
655 Posts

Profile of oombob
If he's innocent... he's being put through hell. If he's guilty... he should be put through hell.

God... it's all so sad and sordid.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Hi friends,
Whatever the case may be it will be decided in one way or other. Good scandal is used in media to keep your name afloat, I repeat (good scandal). But in some cases
drugs and alcohol also play part in many disturbed circumstances. Im not saying it was the case here. It can happen to anyone.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
In case you missed it, the FBI returned all the items they removed from D.C.'s warehouse a few weeks ago, and the affair is (at this point) essentially over.

This rent-a-driver doesn't factor into the situation other than having made an unsolicited and unsubstantiated statement to the press. At this point nobody cares what he said.
JohnEBlaze
View Profile
New user
Maitland, FL
66 Posts

Profile of JohnEBlaze
Wasn't the FBI returning all of his stuff report just from Robin Leach? Not to say it's not true but we should always consider the source.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
This whole thing appears to now be a non-story no matter what your source is.
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
655 Posts

Profile of oombob
Well... I'm off to see his show tomorrow night!
INMOTION
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
183 Posts

Profile of INMOTION
Quote:
On 2008-01-22 23:17, oombob wrote:

oombob,

Curious to see how the show goes! David is performing in my area in March, however the past 4 years I have seen him, it has been the exact same show... Motorcycle Shadow Box, Through Steel, 13, Portal, Scorpion, Lottery, Baby prediction, etc.... Would prefer to save my money if nothing has changed. Let me know if there is anything new this time around!
Thanks
Skypoint
View Profile
New user
Dallas, Texas
71 Posts

Profile of Skypoint
"Wasn't the FBI returning all of his stuff report just from Robin Leach? Not to say it's not true but we should always consider the source."

Robin Leach? Wasn't he the guy that went into a semi-frenzi over a rich person's bathroom?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2120 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Quote:
On 2008-01-23 12:51, INMOTION wrote:
Quote:

oombob,

Curious to see how the show goes! David is performing in my area in March, however the past 4 years I have seen him, it has been the exact same show... Motorcycle Shadow Box, Through Steel, 13, Portal, Scorpion, Lottery, Baby prediction, etc.... Would prefer to save my money if nothing has changed. Let me know if there is anything new this time around!
Thanks

I just went to see DC a few months back in NY, and the show went down pretty much exactly as you've listed here. If you decided to go again, I wouldn't expect to see too much new/different.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
INMOTION
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
183 Posts

Profile of INMOTION
I have seen him the past 4 years, and his show had not changed at all.
Now it sounds like other than removing the "having my baby" routine, the show is exactly the same... With all that is going on, probably a good idea to take that routine out... I am amazed that he continues to tour every year, same places, same show.. Wouldn't he get bored? I know I did last year watching him...
There was a ticket broker site that I was looking at months ago, and there were many reviews from fans who had seen his show, and many of the reviews were not good at all... Might want to stop touring and start changing! Thanks for the update, I'll save my money this year!
Magic Spank
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas
320 Posts

Profile of Magic Spank
I still say the whole thing is baloney.

The press releases ended when Phenomenon ended.

The new story is that David has kids... with a woman. I don't believe that one either.

The case was supposed to have gone before the grand jury months ago. The results would not have been kept secret. Either they bring him to trial or not. If not, it's fair to assume he would send out a press release to clear his name. Neither one has or I expect will happen.

To those who say he doesn't need this type of publicity... think again. He's not exactly in demand anymore. Performing in Vegas makes him the Wayne Newton of magic. The only difference being that Wayne can still fill a room. I doubt the networks are knocking on his door begging for a new special. Look at it from a layperson's perspective.
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Magic Spank has a point.

However, it seems very 'Un-Copperfield-ish' to resort to such unscrupulous tactics for publicity. He has garnered publicity before with more 'image-friendly' methods, i.e. Predicting the Superbowl score, announcing that he's found the 'Fountain of Youth', etc.

Frankly speaking, he's David Copperfiled and whilst all celebrities DO need publicity in one form or another, all he has to do is pitch a new and unique special (which he has always done in the past) to the proper bodies and off he goes. That Fountain Of Youth thing could come in handy here Smile

In my honest opinion, I think the reason he hasn't done so (or changed his show for that matter, as indicated by posts above) is because I think he's just plain tired. Performing 500 shows a year!

How old is he now? 51?
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6988 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Wayne Newton of magic?... Uh, Vegas is the Broadway of magic!

And DC still sells out venues. He I still very much in demand.
NUMBERED - A killer predicted card at any number out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/numbered.html
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-01-25 20:49, Logan wrote:
Magic Spank has a point.

However, it seems very 'Un-Copperfield-ish' to resort to such unscrupulous tactics for publicity. He has garnered publicity before with more 'image-friendly' methods, i.e. Predicting the Superbowl score, announcing that he's found the 'Fountain of Youth', etc.

Frankly speaking, he's David Copperfiled and whilst all celebrities DO need publicity in one form or another, all he has to do is pitch a [u]new and unique special (which he has always done in the past)[u/] to the proper bodies and off he goes. That Fountain Of Youth thing could come in handy here Smile

In my honest opinion, I think the reason he hasn't done so (or changed his show for that matter, as indicated by posts above) is because I think he's just plain tired. Performing 500 shows a year!

How old is he now? 51?

Did you not see the tornado of fire special? Yeah, completely unique approach to a show there. Smile
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
With the exception of that one! Haha!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
655 Posts

Profile of oombob
Quote:
Quote:

oombob,

Thanks

Saw him....yes, yes.... the same show. A nice fresh bit with a borrowed necktie that animates and sings along to a Harry Belafonte tune but otherwise, the same program.

Really nice to take my two young sons out to see it through their fresh eyes.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4816 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2008-01-27 01:20, oombob wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

oombob,

Thanks

Saw him....yes, yes.... the same show. A nice fresh bit with a borrowed necktie that animates and sings along to a Harry Belafonte tune but otherwise, the same program.

Really nice to take my two young sons out to see it through their fresh eyes.

That's not all that fresh. It was on one of his earlier specials.

I have seen the show, maybe three times now, sine he started doing the Hawaii illusion, and over all it has been the same show. He has a few things that seem to change, but from the sounds of it, the show consists of a bunch of illusions that he rotates in and out so that the show can be "different" every now and then.

But it is a high possibility that you will end up seeing a lot of the same illusions as the last time you saw it, as they could just happene to be in that show.

For most performers with a regular touring show, this is pretty common. Same goes for a stationary show, like Burtons. A few illusions are always being rotated, and every now and then, something that hasn't been in for a while will show up, but largly the show will be the same for a long period of time.

This only makes sense for a stationary show in the performers own theater. They change gradually over time, and even when the show is completely done over, a lot of the same illusions are still there. Also, for a single tour, this makes sense.
A performer tours one show.

DC's Vegas show makes sense to be only gradually changing. His "tours" should have changed rather than being one long 5 year tour going back to the same cities with the same show.

By the time you are repeating cities, unless they are specifically billed as encore visits, the show should be a new tour with a new show, IMO.

oombob
View Profile
Special user
Canada
655 Posts

Profile of oombob
Yes, the necktie bit is not fresh... but was the only different element from the show I had seen about four years ago. A great show if you have never seen it. My two sons loved it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Update on David Copperfield (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL