The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » OHMAK flourish video clip (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Roger Boucher
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Roger Boucher
Aren't you just trying to do a horizontal loop knot. you can do that same knot if you pull the rope up and then throw the loop the end goes through the loop and you have you knot. My dad does this with a weight at the end and calls it a cowboy yo-yo. Flip has it on one if his dvd's and does it similar to the way to this link that Magicians posted http://usmagic.biz/intheairknot.html. I am sure that by the time that you took that knot apart it was a figure 8 knot now if you just held the rope in you left or right hand and pulled it so the end came up then tossed the loop so that the end came through the loop you have you knot. one handed without having to grab it.

Roger
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Do any of you rope wranglers know which issue of Genii (or perhaps Magic)
that had an extended write up of a technique for the snap knot.
I believe it was Al Schnieder(sp).

I have the magazine, but as it is mixed in with many hundreds of other magazines
have been unable to actually locate it yet.

Any clues - Year , Volume , Cover ??
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The link had a "." on the end of the html, the actual link is:
http://usmagic.biz/intheairknot.html

Not important, but accurate.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I bought Dennis Loomis's DVD and there are some fantastic effects on there, but I'd like to be able to snap the knot like Laurie does as opposed to Dennis's version (although I know he says his method is easier) - anyone know where I can get it?
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Robert
Laurie says she saw it in a cowboy rope trick book, which is truely amazing because Dennis goes into such details about propper technique. My hat goes off to Laurie because she did choose the road least traveled. Also Laurie uses a very stiff rope which does not make it any easier.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Robert

Probably the best source is Frank Dean's extensive and fascinating "Will Rodgers Rope Tricks" published by The Western Horseman. (probably Lauries source book as mentioned above).

There are 4 pages of what he describes as "flying knots" or "swinging knots".
With both shorter (hanging) and longer (laid out on the ground) ropes.

Rodgers did tend to use a rope that was weighted , either on purpose or just because it was formed into a honda.

The book is obtainable through juggling supply shops and probably amazon. well worth getting just for the historic photos etc..

timothy
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks for the tips
Jolyon Jenkins
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Try Bryan Dube at http://www.dube.com
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Yes that's the one, $8 , enough stuff in that to keep you tied up for years

http://www.dube.com/book/rope.php
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Everything magical in the US is half the price of the same items in the UK. But even $16 would be a reasonable price.
Jolyon Jenkins
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Okay, I remember seeing Phil Wilmarth over 30 years ago, and I saw him tonight at a private lecture at bev Bergerons home.
I saw him do a one-handed in the air knot or two. He attributes this to Pavel. I bought his booklet on knots and it is an eye-opener.
I have always been a Wilmarth fan, and he did some amazing things.
The other treat was to meet Jack Kodell and Mary, guests at the lecture. We stayed til midnight listening to stories.
Never really knew much about Kodell, although he is sharp and alert, he walks with a cane and is in a bit of pain. Great stories tho.
I could not imagine that man doing an entire act on ice, or with parakeets.
Back to Wilmarth, his book documents and credits some of the moves we discuss on this section of the forum.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Well I've been practicing Dennis Loomis's snap knot and it's HARD. I managed three times in a row then had to do it about a 100 more times before I succeeded again. Any thoughts about the optimum length of rope?

I like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH7gNbzjSYM
Jolyon Jenkins
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have had success at (just below) chest high rope. Of course, you can cheat by placing a small weight in the tip of the rope which maximizes the spin of the rope. The other cheat, is to actually put a knot at the tip of the rope which also adds a bit of weight to the rope tip and acts as a "stop" to prevent the knot from falling out. Sometimes you actually have the knot and it travels down to the end of the rope tip and dissolves.
That belt knot video is an example of the advantage of a weighted tip. That belt buckle is a sneaky helper for doing it with a belt, and also a shorter piece.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Thanks, Ian. Slowly getting there. What I like best is when I can do it without using the forefinger but just vigorous wrist action.
Jolyon Jenkins
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
The method without the forefinger is a little different dynamic. You actually allow the rope to hit where your finger would normally. The other tendancy is to want to move the wrist ina backwards "c" action but the actual best wrist action is an upide down checkmark with a short upwards movement to the right and a long follow thru from right to left shoulder to mid chest.
This sounds too scientific. Have fun.
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
A lot to think about there. What is a checkmark? I think we call it something different this side of the Atlantic.
Jolyon Jenkins
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 09:57, rjenkins wrote:
A lot to think about there. What is a checkmark? I think we call it something different this side of the Atlantic.

I think you call it a "tick mark," as in a "tick box."
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1156 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
Of course. Thanks. Can't wait to get back to my rope to try it.
Jolyon Jenkins
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Robert, remember Will Rodgers used a slightly weighted rope
so if that works for you, you're in good company.

Does anyone have access to the Genii archive index?

There was a terrific write up of a technique for a "snap" knot
some years back by (i believe it was) Al Schnieder (sp).

He had a series for a while and then this technique came out of the blue.
I have the magazine in storage, along with hundreds more
but not willing to start searching unless I have some idea
of the approx year

timothy
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 09:57, rjenkins wrote:

Forget the check mark.. here's a quick video.
(the rope should be longer than the one I am using).
Http://stagetricks.com/professor/snaprope.html
3 minutes to load broadband
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » OHMAK flourish video clip (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL