The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Edward (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of The Feegee Mermaid
Use Occams razor, whats more likely: He can talk to the dead, or his just using trickery?
As mentalists we know for a fact that it can be recreated with tricks and at the moment there isn't enough evidence to say its posible to talk to the dead.
I say tricks.
-The Feegee Mermaid Smile
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 04:20, Tim Ellis wrote:
Does John Edward have any proof that he DOES talk with the dead?

I obviously can because, as you can see, I predicted that Joe Marotta would be the next person to post!

I said "M" and Marotta starts with M.

What more proof do you need?

You mean Joe Marotta is a spirit from the other side? Cool! Now that you summoned him, we can all talk to the dead!!! The Café has become a M.E.D.I.U.M. interface!!!

Joe, where did I leave my other black sock with the Elder sign design? Its been driving me crazy.... your necromatic knowledge can help!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 04:43, The Feegee Mermaid wrote:
Use Occams razor, whats more likely: He can talk to the dead, or his just using trickery?
As mentalists we know for a fact that it can be recreated with tricks and at the moment there isn't enough evidence to say its posible to talk to the dead.
I say tricks.

Occam would say "First we'll give him a fair trial - then we hang him!"

And in the case of Edward - Occam would again have cut straight to the point...

Did you know Nyarlathotep has a cool snake oil on the market right now? Cures the heartache of psoriasis
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 10:11, Dr Spektor wrote:

You mean Joe Marotta is a spirit from the other side? Cool! Now that you summoned him, we can all talk to the dead!!! The Café has become a M.E.D.I.U.M. interface!!!

Joe, where did I leave my other black sock with the Elder sign design? Its been driving me crazy.... your necromatic knowledge can help!

No, Joe was merely the SUBJECT of the spirit message I received.Here comes another one... the next post will be very strange!
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
A friend and her sister went to see one of these guys, I won't mention names, since I don't remember exactly who he was. Like Edwards, he claimed to be able to talk with the dead. My friend was skeptical, but her sister really wants to believe. Their mother had died of cancer and they still had lots of unresolved issues surrounding her death. They did everything that could be expected, her sister quit her job (she was a nurse) to take care of her mother.

My friend paid for the two of them since her sister was still recovering from not working and paid over $100 for two seats. The hall was full.

My friend said that she could tell he was fishing, looking for people. He made really general comments and questions with predictable results. As an example, he said, "someone in here is carrying a rosary." This would be pretty good if the audience was entirely Hindu, but being in Boston with a large Irish, Italian, and Hispanic population with a smattering of French, and Polish, this was a safe bet.

My friend was outraged, this guy was clearly a trickster, but her sister was hooked. He singled the sister out and told her that her mother was there and said everything was okay.

On the one hand, this guy was pretty clearly a fraud, but since his disclaimer says "for entertainment purposes only" everything was illegal, although ethically questionable (in my opinion). There were many people in the audience who had obviously scrimped and saved to be able to attend this session, money that may have been better used elsewhere. On the other hand her sister was really comforted, she left a true believer. Others had similar experiences. They left feeling better about the world.

My friend has seen John Edwards and says he is very similar to the guy they saw.

One thing is to keep in mind is that we don't know if there is any pre-show stuff and we don't see the entire interaction, but just an edited version so we can't see any fishing that is going on.

I'm offended by these guys, and wish that they would stop their practices. Some have been exposed using radios and such, but they continue doing their thing. I do wish they would charge less money, but I know there are theater tickets that go for many times the cost, and a floor ticket at Boston Garden makes these guys look like bargains.

I admit that as a magician I lie all of the time, but somehow this is different...
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
“A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?”

- Albert Einstein
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

John Edward isn't as bad as this guy
http://www.peterpopoff.org/
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 23:09, Tim Ellis wrote:
Here comes another one... the next post will be very strange!

2 for 2! Those dead people are spookily accurate!
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Tim, no fair! Your pulling a fast one - we all know anyone who posts here is strange to begin with Smile
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2946 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
No, Dr. you do have your odd sane/balanced poster, so it's still a good prediction.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18680 Posts

Profile of IAIN
As mediums can talk to the spirit, and therefore able to pass on messages to the otherside, how come one of those mediums have never written a book on "what the afterlife is REALLY like..."

imagine the first one written, would therefore indirectly define the "truth" of what heaven looks and feels like, and also confirm what defines the human soul...

I wonder if the book would ever get written? maybe it has and I've not seen it..and then, what would happen if a second medium wrote one, but described things differently? or would they feel obliged to describe the same thing in order to keep things "realistic"..
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10574 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Quote:
On 2008-01-05 11:27, ALEXANDRE wrote:
No, Dr. you do have your odd sane/balanced poster, so it's still a good prediction.

Tch tch.... now now - lets keep it real 'cuz I'm keeping it real! Smile
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 04:43, The Feegee Mermaid wrote:
I say tricks.

Occams Razor: That's something many of his supporters hang their hat on.

With no pre show and occasional hits that defy lucky guesses/cold reading, "the simplist solution is usually the correct one".

;)
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1224 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Here's what happened:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story......=mostpop

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0......,00.html

http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2008/jan......-medium/

Just read another article where they said "a crowd of almost 2000." All of the other media reported that 4500 showed up. I wonder how many he really did end up getting?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
All the dead people I chat with won't talk to John Edward because they think he's spooky.

They said Steve was planning to go to the event but was busy dragging angels out of the undergrowth to teach dead kids about their environment.

Destiny
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Hope can be a powerful thing, but when money and publicity gets involved, that changes everything. Shame, Shame, Mr. Ewards, God knows your name. And Buddha, aint happy with you either! As for Santa Claus, kiss all your presents good-bye, you bad boy!

OH, and A little excerpt for the last montel/silvia brown episope (for all you fans out there)

Audience member: Silvia, is my son going to finish law school?

Silvia: Yes, and he will be a lawyer.

Audience: Is he going to be able to get over his issues right now?

Silvia: Yes, its just a faze.

Audience member: Thank you so much siliva, thank you!

(same wording as used in show) GOD, I WISH I HAD HERE JOB!
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

How many shows does John have these days?
Ive seen Cross Country and Crossing over. Both were horrible.

* THE Feegee Mermaid.

f.!.S-H
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
But he's still making millions,more than most of us can say!

AJ
The Feegee Mermaid
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Very true AJ.

~Mr. Maid. Smile
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2008-01-04 10:12, Dr Spektor wrote:
Occam would say "First we'll give him a fair trial - then we hang him!"

The scientific standard of proof is not the legal standard in criminal trials of "beyond a reasonable doubt." Nor do we use the legal standard in our daily decision-making.

That is a point I have to make during jury selection in every case.

Arnon

P.S. In this thread, the appropriate standard of proof is itself the subject of debate also!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » John Edward (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL