The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Problems dropping a coin from finger palm (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

wackyvorlon
View Profile
New user
Sarnia, ON, Canada
72 Posts

Profile of wackyvorlon
I've been playing with the okito box recently, but I find that whenever I have to drop a coin I've finger palmed my fingers visibly flick outward. An astute observer will notice this movement. What do others do to keep from having that happen? Do you draw attention away from the fingers, or is there a trick to the way you finger palm the coin?
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Wes
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Because you've mentioned the Okito box, I think you're talking about the specific situation where you've got a coin in FP and you have to dump it out of the box. If that's the situation, I can understand why you're having the "flaring" problem.

There is a slight change to the dumpout procedure that will eliminate the flaring. If this is what you're looking for, I'll PM you the workaround.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
I have been plagued for years with the same type of problem when I execute a Bobo switch. I have a tendency to extend my second, third and fourth fingers when I release the FP coin (or whatever object I am switching in)

In my case, this seems to be related to making too big a motion when I execute the switch, and trying to TOSS the coin. I have been able to correct it to a great extent by slowing down, and by changing my practice routine to alternate between really placing the coin in my other hand, switching it, and doing a retention vanish, and making all three look as much alike as possible.

My biggest problem is, having done the move incorrectly for years, it is much harder to correct because my muscle memory keeps trying to go back to the old, incorrect way, especially under fire.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The flaring problem with the Bobo switch is inherent in the fact that the incoming coin is held in FP. There are two solutions that I am aware of:

One, change the trajectory of the coin so that you're not trying to toss it "through" the fingers that are holding it. In other words, angle the toss back towards yourself, or downwards. Your fingers will move less if they don't have to move out of the way of the coin.

Two, embrace the flare. It's entirely natural for your fingers to open out as they release the visible coin. Why not let them? See Mike Skinner's handling of the Bobo switch as explained in the Skinner issue of Genii, or on the tapes showing his handling of Presto Chango.

Either approach accomplishes your goals with just a light toss. For the life of me, I can't think of a good reason to slam the coin into your hand repeatedly.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8865 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Also, DS...I think a lot of the problems that people have in doing the Bobo Switch is really in their own perception of the little move. Typically I think people watch themselves do the move and see the little finger movements that you speak of. I see them all the time when other magicians do the move but I am no layman. But really when you do the move, the spec is watching the receiving hand where the coin lands. Hence Bobo's instruction to casually toss the coin a couple of times into the left hand, to quickly familiarize the spec with the action before you make the switch. I too could notice when I made the actual switch and it bothered me somewhat, until I learned better from Mickey Silver as to what is really being seen, what's being watched and why. Mickey has done indepth analysis/tapings of audience recognitions/observances/eye motions/reactions, etc. That's why he's so very good at what he does...A lot of it is simply confidence in knowing. Anwyay, from that day to this, I have no doubt in doing such switches as I know where the spec's eyes are for sure and in that my motions aren't nearly as bad as I had once thought. I'm sure yours aren't either. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Thanks for the advice Curtis, also Mb217.
I actually find that Curtis' advice about changing the trajectory, and actually sort of dropping the coin while rolling my hand back towards me, under cover of the L hand fingers, looks much better, and also matches my retention vanish and actual placement of the coin.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Problems dropping a coin from finger palm (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL