We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Yet another ripoff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
I found yet another terrible ripoff illusion on youtube, this time of Audience Dismember. ...What a way to ruin a trick. They didn't just build it bad, their "performance" is just sad. I just don't get it anymore...

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=5ynAbBOZQSI&feature=related

Sam
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1091 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Sucked!
RVH Magic
View Profile
Special user
877 Posts

Profile of RVH Magic
Their rip off version of 'audience dismember' is also a joke!
copy's like this hurt our art...
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
This looks like it was filmed at a convention.

I was present at a European convention earlier this year. Losander was also booked to lecture and perform.
The dealers' hall was split into two rooms with a total of about twenty dealers from Europe.
From these dealers THREE were selling knock off Losander Floating tables. One was selling knock off Spider Backdrops, and another selling (rather large!) Snow Animators.

Losander most probably turned a blind eye to the tables.

There were two gentlemen going around the dealers taking detailed photos of apparatus WITH PERMISSION of the dealer trading!

This is surely up to the organisers of the convention to not allow dealers to display such products, or to confiscate pirate goods on sale, or not to invite the dealers (or allow them to open a stand) in the first place.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
This video should be titled "When Good Magic Goes Bad!" What an awful prop and presentation. The only magic I saw was that no one was snoring.

Dan.
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
Umm?
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Another great example of something Andre' Kole once said:

"They took a 'miracle' and turned it into a magic trick."

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-26 06:26, LeeAlex2002 wrote:

I was present at a European convention earlier this year. Losander was also booked to lecture and perform.
The dealers' hall was split into two rooms with a total of about twenty dealers from Europe.
From these dealers THREE were selling knock off Losander Floating tables. One was selling knock off Spider Backdrops, and another selling (rather large!) Snow Animators.

Which convention was that?

Best,

Tim
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
I'm guessing at Blackpool. The knockoff scenario has been rife at Blackpool for a number of years. Our Italian friends have had sales space for as long back as I can remember.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-26 11:41, magicmarkdaniel wrote:
I'm guessing at Blackpool. The knockoff scenario has been rife at Blackpool for a number of years. Our Italian friends have had sales space for as long back as I can remember.

Mark

I thought so. I keep hearing this but the Official Blackpool people keep denying it. I'd love someone to get some photos so they can be confronted with some proof. I'd love to hear their comments when they see proof. LOL

Anyone going to Blackpool this year... take your cell phone camera. Hah!

Best,

Tim
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

They can deny it all they like. Anyone who knows the difference between a knockoff and an original will be able to vouch for this. Usually there's a surge of knockoffs for sale on eBay during March. I wonder why this could be? Possibly because people who don't know any different are parting with their hard earned cash at the Feb convention, only to find that what they've bought is nothing more than junk which simply will not withstand regular performing.

Mark
Mark Daniel
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Can I just point out that the knockoffs are being sold by only one or two bad eggs out of the 100+ respectable dealers who also attend with their wonderful products. Its a real shame because the last I heard, there was a waiting list for sales space. So losing these planks would do them no damage as the space could easily be filled with honest and reliable dealers.

Mark

Posted: Dec 26, 2007 12:47pm
BTW, regarding taking pictures, from what I remember they're pretty hot on not allowing pictures to be taken within the dealer room. This could be for a number of reasons. The most obvious being that people take photos of the effect, go home and build it themselves. Or it could be that they then have nobody with proof to present that the knockoff scenario is actually taking place.

Mark
Mark Daniel
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-12-26 12:47, magicmarkdaniel wrote:
BTW, regarding taking pictures, from what I remember they're pretty hot on not allowing pictures to be taken within the dealer room. This could be for a number of reasons. The most obvious being that people take photos of the effect, go home and build it themselves. Or it could be that they then have nobody with proof to present that the knockoff scenario is actually taking place.

Mark

I for one would be willing to take any heat for taking a photo of a knockoff. Rules are rules but the term " unclean hands" applies here. If you are selling knockoffs then I don't think you should be able to hide behind the ethics you are breaking.

Can you claim copyright on a copy of the original piece??? LOL

BTW... for those who are not familiar with the term " unclean hands" it basically goes like this. If you by illegal drugs from me on credit and don't pay I cannot ask a legal court to enforce our illegal contract and make you pay.

In this case... if you are trying to making an unethical deal ( like selling knockoffs ) then don't ask ethics to protect you.

Best,

Tim
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
It was not Blackpool, although I do know of a similar scenario occuring there, with Losander in one corner and another dealer (in a prime spot!) selling floating tables.

The company with the "Spider" paltforms is from Brazil. The "Snow Animator company" is somewhere in Spain.
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
How could they let things like that happen...I know I paid good dollars for my spider backdrop, I know I would be upset, let alone those who are the originators of effects.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
That was pretty pathetic. Smile
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1010 Posts

Profile of John Martin
If Losander himself turned a blind eye to people selling his products, then who are we to debate the morals of pedaling rip-offs. A few years ago I spent quit a few dollars in long distance calls to report the blatant copying of video tapes by a local magic dealer here in Montreal. I called A-1 video DIRECTLY with name, number, address of this dealer. While they seemed very happy to hear from me, they DID absolutely NOTHING to stop this pirating. That's the last time I waste my time and energy. Most here would be advised to concentrated on what THEY do rather then what the OTHERS do. It seems like a new sport to try and find a rip-off.

All the best,

John
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5771 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
That video sucked in so many ways, that I lost count!
Drs_Res
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of Drs_Res
To quote Bart Simpson:

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this both sucks and blows."
( / ) The Bunny
(O.o) Add him to your signature.
(> <) Help him rule the world.
/_||_ Prosper at his side.

Scott
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
And people ask me"Why don't you exhibit in Europe or at FISM?" I think the answer should be evident. I am not going to spoon feed the copyist and rip off artists. The people that buy my products protect their investment by not allowing other to study them to copy them.
Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Yet another ripoff (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL