The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Need String (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I do a string trick on stage and am having trouble finding very thick, coated string.
I can't use nylon or sissel types, because I end up with a bit in my mouth that needs to stay there for the rest of the show..

Does anyone have an online source, or a chainstore source? I bought a nice large ball last year, lasted most of my season and I can't remember where I got it. The usual hardware stores don't carry it, nor do restaurant supply houses, etc.

Thought I'd start looking early this year, so any help is appreciated. Thanks.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Have you tried a crafts store? Maybe you were using kitchen twine (the stuff used to tie up roasts and such)?
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2662 Posts

Profile of John Long
I would also like to find cotton string with an even number of strands (for the Kellar string trick). I had one ball that had 6 strands, but now I can only fine 5 strand string - It's not the sort of thing you can ask a Wal-Mart employee about; they ask you why do you want that!

John
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I just bought some cotton "horse lead" rope from a rope wholesaler and the core of the rope consists of rope strands that might fill your bill.
If you can find 100% cotton magicians rope, the core of the rope is 3, 4, or as many as 12 strands of cotton which in turn is twisted cottn fibres.
http://bigduck.tripod.com/ropfibre2.gif
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2662 Posts

Profile of John Long
Thanks for the idea. I may need to see if any of my rope can provide the necessary size. Even if I do, that would represent a very expensive source of string!
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Generally, not. When you do a lot of rope effects, lots of magicians core their rope and throw out the core. How much of it do you need at any given time? I could send you some rope core to try, just pay for the postage, probably 1 or two stamps.
The other source you may want to try is bird toys which use all cotton so the birds don't get chemical problems from the rope. This is twisted:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-1-4-COTTON-TWIST-......ViewItem

If you take it apart, the twisted segment may contain the strands you need.

This one looks even better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-of-1-4-Cotton-Rop......ViewItem

Or do you want thread?

The India brand of rope carried by some shops has 12 strands of thread in it.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2662 Posts

Profile of John Long
Ian

Thanks for the info and offer.

I have some string like that 1/4" cotton rope - it tends to be too thick. Something about 1/16" seems better for the Kellar string trick (which I do about weekly).

I haven't tried the rope core yet, but as my current ball of string grows smaller, I may need to look more aggressively.

John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2662 Posts

Profile of John Long
Well, I finally found string at my hardware store that has 16 strands!, yet the total thickness is still very thin (~1/16"). They called it twisted twine. It works well for the Kellar string trick
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Need String (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL