The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Any Idea what can replace fanning powder? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I am look basically what is fanning powder made of....

Any one have the idea ?

Thanks pals

Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
Go to your local pharmacy and buy zinc stearate. It is the same stuff.
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Cool nitram, Thanks for the information. Well where did you obtain the information from..by the way what is Zinc Stearate use as that sell in the local pharmacy?
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
I found out here!!!!!!!!

I think that it is used to treat athlete's foot, but don't quote me!!
BryanDreyfus
View Profile
Loyal user
293 Posts

Profile of BryanDreyfus
It was originally baby powder....

Bryan
Oh sure, I can spell "Antidisestablishmentarianism", but I can't type t-h-e.
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Talcum powder or baby powder also works. You can get unscented talcum powder in the shaving section, otherwise your hands will have a nice scent!
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Chemical Magic by John Lippy,Jr. page 155, says that you can use 2 things. Ordinary floor polish, rubbed down to a high gloss and zinc stearate baby powder.

I have tried both, but haven't satisfied enough. Maybe because we have different kind of floor polish than in US and the baby powder is not zinc stearate any more. Or wrong type of card, because I use plastic coated card.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Try a high grade cornstarch, talc is a bit too gritty. The real stuff is as Nitram says. Zinc Stearate used to be one of the many chamicals in the old Gilbert Chemistry Lab Sets. (Do they make chemistry sets anymore? or are there too many lawyers?)

It isn't a dangerous chemical so it should be easily obtainable at a chemical supply house.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Linds
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
74 Posts

Profile of Linds
Once you have your Zinc Stearate you will need to get it onto cards in a manageable way. In Routined Manipulation, Ganson recommends dipping cotton balls into the powder and wiping it on. There is a better way....

Years ago in lot purchased at a swap meet at the ASM, I came by a little device for powdering cards. Load it up with powder, push the cards through the slot and you have your nice evenly powdered cards.

It shouldn't be too hard to make up. If anyone is interested, PM me with your em address and I will send you photographs of it with dimensions.
Cheers
Linds

Disbelief in Magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
cheaptrick
View Profile
Loyal user
Wilmington, Delaware
251 Posts

Profile of cheaptrick
Here's a do-it-yourself fanning powder applicator and istructions from The Mid Herts School of Magic and The Performing Arts

http://www.schoolsite.edex.net.uk/500/fanning.htm

Smile
"Pick any card. NOT that one!!!"
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Try putting the loose cards and a goodly amount of zinc sterate in a paper bag. Shake it up thoroughly. Remove the cards from the bag one at a time. Wipe both sides of each one on a piece of turkish towel. That should do it.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Any Idea what can replace fanning powder? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL