The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Kevin James "The operation" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sam Griffin
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
170 Posts

Profile of Sam Griffin
Hi I was on kevin james myspace page

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fus......82100567

And noticed an advertisement on an effect called the operation. I'm very interested in this one and was wondering if it was for sale?
"When we are on stage, we are in the here and now."
"The eye is the window of your soul."

"The PERFORMER must BELIEVE in everything that takes place on the stage, only then will the AUDIENCE BELIEVE!
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
The advert looks like it is advertising the illusion as a show, rather than a "for sale" ad - anyway I doubt very much if this piece is for sale... it would be rather impractical, and very expensive. I wouldn't like to read the advertising blurb!! Smile
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

https://www.devilshank.com/
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
I can tell you for a fact that it is not for sale. And like Lee said, this would be impractical for most performers to pull off and very expensive. Not just for the props but for all the people you would need to be able to do it the right way.

John
Corrupting the art of magic, one show at a time
www.underworldent.com
www.myspace.com/johnshawcomedymagic
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
There's no way this is for sale. I met Kevin a few months ago in Florida, he did this effect, and my wife was invited up to examine the "victim". Believe me, even if you bought the props from Kevin, you still couldn't perform the illusion.

jim
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I'm sure you could pay half price for the illusion!
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
He did that act on that really bad magic award show earlier this month.

It was definitely one of the highlights and probably the most baffling piece of stage magic I've ever seen. You probably need a pair of trained acrobat midgets to do the bit correctly, but otherwise I'm sure you could figure out the basics by watching it.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 22:09, organicmagician wrote:
You probably need a pair of trained acrobat midgets to do the bit correctly, but otherwise I'm sure you could figure out the basics by watching it.

LOL. Not quite.
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Quote:
On 2007-12-29 22:09, organicmagician wrote:
He did that act on that really bad magic award show earlier this month.

It was definitely one of the highlights and probably the most baffling piece of stage magic I've ever seen. You probably need a pair of trained acrobat midgets to do the bit correctly, but otherwise I'm sure you could figure out the basics by watching it.

Kevin loves when people think that is how he does it....lol
www.underworldent.com
Lance Richardson
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Lance Richardson
I personally would love to see the freak show come back, until then this will have to do. Kevin is lucky to have found 2 diamonds in the rough. Lol

Lance
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
Hahaha - I actually did think there was a midget involved after he used the first one for the Chaplin thing. Of course, its clear that's not the case at the end of the trick. Honestly, I think its tough to do any piece like that on camera, because some of the mechanics come across clearly. But, what a sweet stage piece - normally 'stage' magic bores me to tears.

Did Kevin James invent the operation or is it based significantly or entirely on any other illusions?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Rudy Coby did something in his show that was not exactly the same regarding "personnel", but had similarities regarding props. There was a related, but decidedly different effect.

Of course there are similarities to an illusion performed about 80 years ago. I don't want to give the name of the magician or other personnel involved back then because it could easily be Googled, and along with it, the secret. This is too good to give away!!!

I hope the rest of you guys will keep any knowledge you may have under hat!!!

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Like Micheal said the effect is quite old, but Kevin has really done a great job making it work in a modern setting. I do not want to give away any info here but it is quite an undertaking to pull something like this off. I have seen this effect many times with many audiences. It really does freak them out every time. And, just on a side note the "freak show" is still alive and well. It has been taken up by myself and many others around the world. There is a section here on the Café that you can go to to see who is doing what around the country.

John
www.underworldent.com
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
This is not a knock against Kevin's crew, but I think that Kevin's previous assistant, Curtis was much better than the one seen on the magic awards show. He was so fast on his hands and actually did one handed push-ups. I got to meet him once in Vegas and he was also a very nice guy. Curtis also really got a kick out of making people scream.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
FWIW - I have access to that one main "secret ingredient" to pull this off, but we are currently in a brainstorming phase to use that secret for something completely different. That's another reason I'd rather this not get tipped!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Caveat Lector
View Profile
Elite user
493 Posts

Profile of Caveat Lector
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 04:39, pepka wrote:
This is not a knock against Kevin's crew, but I think that Kevin's previous assistant, Curtis was much better than the one seen on the magic awards show. He was so fast on his hands and actually did one handed push-ups. I got to meet him once in Vegas and he was also a very nice guy. Curtis also really got a kick out of making people scream.

I agree, Curtis was a great guy. I did get a chance to go to dinner with him and talk, his death was a big loss. The reason why Curtis was so great is because he was born that way and the other was made that way.

John
www.underworldent.com
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 12:49, Caveat Lector wrote:
[...] The reason why Curtis was so great is because he was born that way and the other was made that way.

"...was made that way"? Man, you gotta admire that kind of commitment to the art form!

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
engineer_star
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of engineer_star
I have seen KJ perform this and many others at the Daytona Magic Festival 2007. HE WAS FANTASTIC!! The "Operation" couldn't be for sale. If you get a chance to see him lecture...DO IT! He has a fantastic mind and is very genuine and funny.
Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Kevin James "The operation" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL