The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Ssucahyo!!! Clean out your PM box! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Smile

Please?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
jonwhy
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of jonwhy
Doug,

My Mer arrived today. It is beautiful. Thanks for the care and craft that you gave to this.

Question: in your notes you mention that single-o type shows are mentioned by Shakespeare. Do you know where these references are? Or at least what words are used? I'd love to have those quotes when promoting the show.

In good spirit,

Jon
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2908 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Talking about the public, Trinculo in the Tempest:

"When they will not give a doit to relieve a lame beggar, they will lay out ten to see a dead Indian."
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks John. Smile

The Tempest

When we first meet Caliban, he complains about how he was disenfranchised by the European invader: "This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother, which thou takest from me." We also learn that Sycorax had worshipped the god Setebos, who was known to Shakespeare as the god of the Patagonian Indians through Magellan's account in the "History of Travel."

When Trinculo, a shipwrecked court jester, stumbles across Caliban on the beach, he regards him as some kind of monster. It should be added that Shakespeare's stage directions stipulate that Caliban should appear as some kind of half-man, half-beast. After recoiling in horror from Caliban, Trinculo considers bringing the monster back to England where he can be displayed in a freak show:

"Were I in England now, as once I was, and had but this fish painted, not holiday fool there but would give a piece of silver: there would this monster make a man; any strange beast there makes a man: when they will not give a doit (coin) to relieve a lame beggar, they will lay out ten to see a dead Indian."

The court jester is referring to the practice of "exhibiting" Indians for a fee in late 16th century England. Such "freak shows" were highly profitable investments and were a regular feature of colonial policy under King James I.

THE TEMPEST

A monologue from the play by William Shakespeare

TRINCULO: Here's neither bush nor shrub to bear off any weather at all, and another storm brewing: I hear it sing i' th' wind. Yond same black cloud, yond huge one, looks like a foul bombard that would shed his liquor. If it should thunder as it did before, I know not where to hide my head. Yond same cloud cannot choose but fall by pailfuls. What have we here? a man or a fish? dead or alive? A fish: he smells like a fish; a very ancient and fishlike smell; a kind of not of the newest poor-John. A strange fish! Were I in England now, as once I was, and had but this fish painted, not a holiday fool there but would give a piece of silver. There would this monster make a man: any strange beast there makes a man. When they will not give a doit to relieve a lame beggar, they will lay out ten to see a dead Indian. Legged like a man! and his fins like arms! Warm, o' my troth! I do now let loose my opinion, hold it no longer: this is no fish, but an islander, that hath lately suffered by a thunderbold. [Thunder.] Alas, the storm is come again! My best way is to creep under his gaverdine: there is no other shelter hereabout. Misery acquaints a man with strange bedfellows. I will here shroud till the dregs of the storm be past.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
A slight jog to one side...

The Karankawa people lived on the Gulf coast of what's now Texas. They were tall, the women reportedly 6', the men taller. They had caucasoid features and skin tone. Their language was entirely local, with no apparent influence from Euro cultures. They were exterminated in the early days of the Republic of Texas.

They would catch sharks by hand, and smear shark-oil all over their bodies. It acted as a mosquito repellent.

They were a culture that prided itself on outsmarting everybody else, so they'd play games, especially when the other players didn't know a game was on. There were documented reports of shipwrecked sailors running into them. The sailors were welcomed, fed, given a wife and a hut.

A couple of months later, when everything seemed peachy, they'd tie them to a tree, with a little fire in front of them, and proceed to slice pieces off them, eating them raw, or toasting them to taste. The goal was to keep the victim alive as long as possible, aware of exactly what was happening.

Their entire known history was full of incidents like this, so Sam Houston exterminated them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Good Grief...what a MOVIE.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I've read that they were very good with their children.

Most of the writings currently available (at least what I've seen) completely sanitize them. Quite a few of the tribes in that area practiced cannibalism. I suspect it was partly survival, and partly social habit. Since the Karankawas are all dead, and a lot of their history was written by conquerors, we'll probably never know much of their world view.

They were a regular problem to the Spanish missionaries. They'd arrive and stay a while, didn't like to do the menial work that the Spaniards allocated to the natives, and they'd leave, whenever pressure was put on them to convert. They'd take the mission-provided blankets with them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Modern day quotes for show promotion in the UK >>>> The show goes on all the time >>> No quieing >>> No waiting >>>> Hurry hurry hurry,,,,Only a quid for Dad Mum and the Kid >>> Step this way to pay..

That`s more than enough,,,,grab the dosh,,,make them pay then I can stay !!!

Object being to get the money,,,to embellish is to give them the chance to walk away.

Info >>>> 2008 season will see Dougs Mer and Chup at>> Moredon Hall (Repeat gig) >>> Hampton Court (Repeat Gig) >>> Royal Chatham Docks (Repeat gig) >>>> Longleat House (Repeat Gig) >>> Eton, Marlborough, Windsor (All repeats)...

Now all these repeats surprise me as I thought that these were oncer`s,,,also take note >>> They are a stand alone feature presented on a payment for attendance,,not as an added attraction supplied.

Also these Royal venues will be open ones which meens the general public will attend (For a very small fee of course).

More news >>> The Harry Potter location of Lacock House,,,which we worked to great success last season has offered more work for next Xmas,, the venue will be the scene for a new Antony Hopkins movie being filmed dureing the summer,,,guess who`s crept in there gang !!! Thanks to the zibbs past appearences.

And there is more >>> At this time Silbury Hill is under extensive excavations,,look out for their findings around April 1st !!! Hope I get away with it.

Ken
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
This time I get a percentage? Smile

Good to hear Ken. What a funny thread to find cool stuff in.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Ssucahyo!!! Clean out your PM box! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL