The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » The Best Marionettes! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
I am very interested in puppeteering, specifically learning the art of stringed puppetry. I don't know where to start. I found a website created the the "Puppeteers of America." Looks like a good place to start. However I would also like to find a website that produces high quality "professional Marionettes." Although Im not a professional I would like to see what some nice marionettes look like. I'm having a hard time finding any at all. Thank you all for your help. If there are any other forums/chats rooms that cater to this, I would appreciate any help or advice.
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Also, if there are any out there that actually use marionettes, I would love to hear from you. thanks
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
There are not a lot of places to go to buy "real" marionettes. But, here is a good place to start. It is Bob Brown's website.
http://www.bobbrownpuppets.com/BbpHome.htm
He does custom work for other puppeteers.

Good luck.
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Great! thanks for the heads up!
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
I make and perform professionally with marionettes.You can check out some of my webpage.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
325 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Try Jim Gamble http://www.jimgamble.com
He has a lot of marionettes DVD's, including a puppet making DVD.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Mr.Crebar
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of Mr.Crebar
Why is it so hard to find information on marionettes online via google, youtube, the Café, etc. Is this no longer something a lot of people do? Is the difficulty level high, or is the audience interest low. Keep in mind I am not refering to hand puppetry or ventril. act but rather the use of marionettes. thanks for your responses, and any others would be greatly appretiated.
-cheers
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
325 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Quote:
On 2008-01-15 15:34, Mr.Crebar wrote:
Why is it so hard to find information on marionettes online via google, youtube, the Café, etc. Is this no longer something a lot of people do? Is the difficulty level high, or is the audience interest low.

I don't think so!
Goggle give me more than 5,000,000 entries.
There are a lot of marionettes theatre's website too.

Have you check Jim Gamble website?
He only doing marionettes act, not hand puppet or ventriloquism act!

BTW why don't you joint a marionette mailing list?
Try http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/Marionettes/
This is not too active group, but you get some answer for what you ask.
A lot of proffesional joint that mailing list.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
James Arnott
View Profile
New user
London
54 Posts

Profile of James Arnott
It is the hardest form of puppetry to master. Most people simply can't do it!
pixsmith
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of pixsmith
It's also something pretty difficult to learn from a book. It's one of the few areas in which you still find apprenticeship to be the most expeditious way to learn. There are a lot of good puppetmakers out there -- most don't like building for a lot of other people, for a number of reasons. Primarily, to get a good performance quality marionette, you might be looking upwards of $750 - 1000 for a figure. Further, to perform, you need an act, and it's a little trickier than (and no slight intended) buying a magic trick and putting in the time to learn the routine. Finally, it can be, and is, a lot of effort to carry that stuff in and out of venues. In almost 30 years of performing, mildly capably, I have at least honed that bit of it down to a minimal amount.

If you need some goos references for folks, or have questions about anything, PM me and I will be happy to provide you with some resources. http://www.puppeteers.org the web site for the Puppeteers of America, is a great place to start though.

Cheers,

Pix
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Hey Maps...ya think it might help to show a link with your invite?
Higley's Doug's Museum
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of maps
My pleasure!
<www.mascotsandpuppets.com>
I perform with puppets...Hand/Marionettes and giant puppets professionally and I build all my puppets and props.
We were nominated as best supporting "actor" in our role as Audrey 2.We built and performed the puppet in Little Shop of Horrors.
I just came back from Vietnam and got a silver medal for best performing group.
There's a picture and a little comment of my marionettes in April 2006 issue of Genie magazine.It's on page 78.
I was mentored by Phillip Huber.He manipulated the marionettes in the film Being John Malkovich.
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » The Best Marionettes! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL