The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Up close card magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
I'm wondering if most sleight of hand card tricks can be performed up close? Can you get away with palming a card, or breaks, or glides, or whatever technique, if someone is literally standing right next to you?

I think there might be many social situations that might arise where you might want to do a trick right in front of people... so this question seems appropriate...

Wahooka
Tina I
View Profile
Regular user
Oslo/ Norway
194 Posts

Profile of Tina I
Yes you can.Most, but not all, techniques can be used close up. It's often harder though because you need to watch your angles more closely. You may also have to modify the way you do things slightly since you probably ends up with spectators on three sides.

Tina
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Card magic is largely close-up magic. Almost all sleights can be done in such a way to either give you a very limited angle, or can be done in the round.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Wahooka
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Wahooka
Well that's good to know.. THANKS!!
JardiniMagic
View Profile
New user
Scottsdale
72 Posts

Profile of JardiniMagic
Like the above says, most card sleights are designed for close up. However, make sure you practice them before presenting them! Kind of hard not to miss someone counting 3 cards to do a triple lift!
The Magical World of Jardini
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
As everyone stated, card magic (most of it) is designed to be close up magic.
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
I'll be a 5th to state, "Yes, yes it can." I've been doing close-up card magic for years and rarely get caught on it. Granted, it's taken me a long, long time to figure out all the angles and performance quirks for the different effects I perform, but card tricks are meant to be done up close and personal.

I'd recommend getting a mirror or, better yet, a camera and practicing with that. You will be able to learn your angles a lot quicker and better than if you were with a live audience.
Coming soon... Who knows!
yeahidomagic
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of yeahidomagic
What Scheda said about using a mirror or camera, I completely agree with. Using mirrors or videotaping your practice will show you how your trick will appear to spectators. When I practice my kid shows, I videotape it over and over to see where are my good spots and bad spots. I highly recommend using a mirror or videotape your practice.
There was a mirror online which showed all the angles. Anyone know where this lad can get one?
scheda
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago, IL
287 Posts

Profile of scheda
Here's a great one that you could use. It's 10" high.

http://www.amazon.com/RMTRI10-Mirror-Tri......7&sr=8-1
Coming soon... Who knows!
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
Using a mirror is great. I personally like videotaping and playing it back. A mirror won't show you bad posture, etc. Set the video camera up at different locations so you can see if you flash from different points of view.

There are also many "blind spots" with a regular mirror.

Robert Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
One of Harry Houdini's biggest weaknesses as a performer is that he would do card tricks on a big stage that most of the people in the auditorium couldn't see. His escapes played very well on the big stage, but not the card tricks. Despite Houdini's mistake, card tricks work well as close up magic.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Doing card magic in the spectator's hands can be really spectacular. Smile

I like to do MacDonald's Four Ace routine as a test of sensitivity. I have a spectator cover one pile of cards with their hand, and as each of the aces disappears I ask, "Did you feel that?" The fact that it is done so close up really creates a great situation.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
engineer_star
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of engineer_star
Look at Bill Malone(On the Loose) and his closeups. Martin Nash is incredible as well. Moreover, Luke Dancy(Magic for the Eyes) is STUNNING close-up. If you have a camcorder available, have a friend video you at different angles as you perform...it will give you confidence in your angles. As Bill teaches, be soooo smooth with your moves that you don't have to think about them and you can just focus all attention on crowd management. If you look comfortable....the crowd feels comfortable.
Go knock 'em out!
Sam
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Friends if you allow me, to our friend's question.
Pls try to become a card magician and NOT A CARD JUGGLER. That is to say do not spend minutes to mk a pretty cut just to gt the card to the top ect. The audience is only interested in a magical finish to wow them. Check out Ned Rutledge book. I'ts a small soft bound. Hard to find but do yr homework he's from Hanover Pennsylvania USA. I'll b able to detail it 4 you gv me some time.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Regular user
157 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
Mirros are good... but video camera is much better. IN a mirror you will tend to look in places you would not normally do when performing for real people. And you will be watching your moves more closely just to see if YOU can see them. With video camera you can practice as if you were talking to a real group of people. And the un-blinking eye of the camera will be much better feedback for you.

With the right audience management, practice, and confidence built up.. you can pretty much get away with anything right under the spectator nose. So do work on your misdirection, audience management..learn to take your spectaotrs eyes away rom your hands at critical moments.. It will help you all around.

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
One thing to consider is that in fact it is much, MUCH easier
to cover your sleights if folks are basically on 'top' of you!

That's not often commented upon, but it's true. Why is that?
Because, as those who are watching move father away what they
can actually observe tends to widen. For an example of this
consider how much easier it is to 'catch' something on a video
than in actual performance.

So, don't be afraid to have your audience get right up on you.
When I was attempting to figure out how to make the Large Loads
in my Chop Cup routine I spent hours and hours making adjustments
in how I presented the routine.

I worked generally surrounded at Cocktail parties and I was stumped
until I realized the if I got the folks behind me literally right up
on top of me looking over my shoulder I was totally covered!!!

Don't sweat proximity....EXCEPT....as it affects what folks can
grab off your table, etc. Best,
Brad Burt
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Thank you for holding on. I promised to have the information on the book I described to you. title: "you are cordially invited to a card party" by Ned Rutledge and J.G. Thompson Jr. by Bo-print publisher Beaver springs. Pa. Dated 1965 Please search this. I met ned a grand card worker and when I was a teen he teard me apart. Told me that all those fancy card manuvers are good to impress other magicians and gain you trophies but to the lay audience there not.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Up close card magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL