We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Lecture Format (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4484 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I'm not too sure if this is the right place to ask this question...

What type of lecture format do you generally prefer?

a) Demonstration of effect, then explanation immediately afterwards.
b) Demonstration of several effects (like three in a row), then explanations. Repeat.
c) Demonstration of all effects, then all explanations afterwards.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I prefer C.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4860 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Myself I always do C. That Way that way that get some what of a show! Before You show them how it all works!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10222 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is a great question. I've found that while it is a matter of preference I too have found your choice C to be the preferred method for a variety of reasons. What I've found best is it offers more of a flow in the performance of effects often including transitions between effects or demonstrations while keeping the audience in the same "performance" mindset, then switching to the "explanation" mindset complete with Q&A at the end of each explaination. I much prefer this to one big Q&A at the end.

Mindpro
housermagic
View Profile
New user
In the mountains
71 Posts

Profile of housermagic
I, too, prefer "C" for the sake of continuity.
Bill
Danny Archer
View Profile
V.I.P.
Philly
603 Posts

Profile of Danny Archer
Hey Phil,

I think B is the way to go... that way there is not to much time between the effect and the explanation as in C...

Method A does not allow the performer get in a performance mode or an explanation mode as you are constantly switching gears...
Foxbiz
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
208 Posts

Profile of Foxbiz
Having been lecture chairman for Ring 9 for the last 5 years and coordinated over 30 lectures, I'd say the that best response has been with B just as Danny pointed out. (And thanks to Danny for helping provide so many of the lecturers through his lecture net!)

I would also advise that you practice and routine your lecture with the same attention to detail as you would any other performance. Your intros, segways (sp), explanations, points of view, etc, should all be well worked out for the maximum impact.

Happy New Year!
Lynn Fox
Lynn Fox
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4397 Posts

Profile of Paul
My lectures have varied between B and A. B I think, is the best.

Paul.
Michael M
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
87 Posts

Profile of Michael M
My feeling is that A or B would be best as you do not want too much time to lapse between the performance of the effect and the explanation. With option C, I fear many would not recall the performance details of the particular effect that is being explained when it comes time to do so. When lecturing, I prefer options A & B for this reason. If I choose A, I perform the effect (normally an intricate one) then go into the explanation but offer some thought, psychology, and theory as to why I perform the effect in the way that I do. In this way, attendees can fully comprehend all of the details of that one particular effect. I only do this if I feel the effect is worthy of being broken down in this manner, or if requested to explain an effect in more detail. I most commonly use option B, as most of my magic effects are combined into routines and I simply explain the full routine. I assume, much like anything, that it is a matter of preference. But, this is what has worked best for me.

Best,

Michael Matson
My Magic - My Way Entertainment
Conjuring With Character
www.MyMagicMyWay.com
YVRDave
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver, BC
104 Posts

Profile of YVRDave
I vote for B, as with C it is too long to wait for the explanation, and the effect may no longer be fresh in your mind.
magicalwishes
View Profile
Regular user
Hickory, NC
143 Posts

Profile of magicalwishes
What about not explaining at all ... and giving the spectators the choice of what they want to know .... let the people come and ask you on their own time.
This format would only work at a convention .... giving the time constraints.
I wonder if it would fly?

See ya real soon!
carrollbaker
View Profile
New user
Ohio
85 Posts

Profile of carrollbaker
From my experience as a lecturer, I have to agree with Danny and pick "B". Give them a taste of the performance and then teaching them is a few far easier to stay consistent and on topic than with "C".

Carroll Baker
http://carrollbaker.net/Carroll-Baker-Lecture.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Lecture Format (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL