We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Freakey by Gregory Wilson - Patter? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
I have got Freakey by Gregory Wilson and I am posting this thread about patter with the effect and I was thinking that the patter that Greg Wilson uses puts pressure on your specs and confuses them and becomes challenge rather than magic and for me that’s not good at all and I would appreciate some help in terms of other patter styles to use for the effect Freakey that are more magical than a game. I have tried using the patter where you talk about people getting the wrong key out for the door but its not there fault, its the keys fault because the move around in strange ways but I found that this sort of patter dramatically shortened the routine!!

So I would highly appreciate some patter ideas no matter how crazy they are!!!

Thanks, magico563:-)
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
I think the patter he uses is prefect. It supposed to be kind of like a fun game with a few jokes throw in. But maybe you should try the one from David Acer or Danny Archer I can't remember which one, where he goes through that whole routine with "his" keys. Hope this helps.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
David Acer's routine, "Keys of the Kingdom" is a perfect use for Freakey. And it is nice to see Acer perform it on the DVD.

RevJohn
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4183 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I am not familiar with this effect, but in general, patter follows two basic structures. Its either a "play-by-play" format (I put the coin in my hand, make a wave and....) or a story format. The story can be irrelevant to you ("The Sun Gods in ancient Burma would use the shiny half dollar as an lightning rod to change the english penny into a chinses coin...), or relevant (Yesterday I found this old purse in my grandfather's attic, and it contained his coin collection). In my opinion, although there are places and times to use all of these (and please don't use the Sun Gods patter), if you can personalize a story while doing magic, it becomes much more interesting and more identifiable to your audience. Above all, it make the trick "yours".
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS! AT DEALERS EVERYWHERE!
https://youtu.be/hzf-Trbs4Ts

https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

ALSO...available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com I also have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book, let me know if you want a pricelist.
DWmagic
View Profile
New user
England, Bristol
71 Posts

Profile of DWmagic
When coming up with Patter ideas, I think it's very important to be careful. As 'Michael Rubinstein' showed, people can go too far. I have seen the most ridiculous stories to go along with magic tricks. Although this could be useful for a comic effect, that normally isn't the look people are going for when they create these long, tedious and complicated stories.

Sometimes I think that the best excuse for doing an effect is that you are doing a magic trick. I think people think too much about giving everything a reason and forget that they are actually doing a trick! Although it is nice to have story magic tricks in your repertoire, I think it is better to under do this than over do it. People aren't going to buy into you if you keep on coming up with extraordinary stories about your travels with the Monks from the last city of Stranoporg...
Yours,
Matt Wood
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Man, and to think I visited the Monks from the Last city of Strangoporg for nothing now!!! Oh well...

RevJohn
magico563
View Profile
Veteran user
UK, sheffield.
381 Posts

Profile of magico563
Thanks for all your help guy, I think I will find something soon that fits to my perfectly:-)

Thanks again, magico563:-)
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
515 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Personally, I think the patter given in the DVD is PERFECT and isn't at all insulting to the spectator. I haven't had anyone seem upset or display any emotions other than astonishment, joy and wonder. However, if you feel that it is not appropriate for your style, then use Gregory Wilson's patter - just change it a little to take the heat off the spectator(s). I don't want to take any credit or money out of Mr. Wilson's pocket; so I won't give you any specific alterations to any specific patter found on the DVD. But, when the spectator chooses the wrong location for the specified key, say something like, "that's what I would say, too; but these keys seem to have a mind of their own." ...Something like that. Take the patter given in the DVD and just 'go with the flow' and change a little where you can during your presentations. Before you know it, you'll have a strong presentation that puts the blame on the keys or the magic happening with the keys and not with the spectator's failure.

There are also other moves and presentation ideas on the DVD that don't focus on the location of the keys or make the spectator seem as if they failed. Use those. The materials and information provided with "FreaKey" are excellent and adapting them to your personal style and needs should come naturally with regular practice and field usage of the trick.

"FreaKey" has earned a permanent place in my "never leave home without it" pile that goes in my pocket no matter where I'm going or what I have planned. Right next to my TT is my keyring holding my "FreaKey" fob & keys!!
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Newb2
The patter I use is that I color coded my keys so that my front door keys would be silver and my side-door keys would be copper. Then I realized that at night, you can't even see the colors! I go into a comedic presentation of "finding the key" similar to Greg Wilson's, but I feel it has more of a story to it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Freakey by Gregory Wilson - Patter? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL