The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Gypsy Curse (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Hello,

When I first started into magic (1980), I remember a card effect called "The Gypsy Curse". While looking at various posts in the Bizzare forum, my mind flashed on this title. But I can't for the life of me remember the effect. I'll have to dig thru my old magic packed away to see if I still have the effect.

Does anyone have this effect or know the theme of this effect? I purchased this in my early days in magic, so I would bet that the handling wasn't that difficult but I'll bet that the story line could be reworked into a great bizzare effect.

Any info on this effect would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Magickman
View Profile
Elite user
St.Petersburg, Fl.
402 Posts

Profile of Magickman
Ahhh yes,

In short, it's about a gambler that plays cards with a gypsy woman. Kind of like a three card monte style but with 7 cards. 6 9s and 1 Queen of hearts. He beats the old woman a few times, till she gets angry and places a curse on the cards.

"From now on, anyone that plays your game will be a winner!" She mutters some strange words under her breath. The next morning when our Gambler wakes up to start a new day of cheating people, he looks at the cards. The curse has taken effect! Now all the cards have changed to Queens!

Derek Dingle has a great routine and uses Tarot cards! It's in his book "Complete Works."

Magickman
What man knows he calls Science
What he has yet to learn he calls Magick
Both are real!

_Tony Andruzzi_
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Wonderful effect.

I often wondered what its appeal really is to me since I rarely performed it professionally but I alway kept playing with it. Then I saw Kaps do it on an old video (performing for Br. John Hamman) and the effect goes into the realm of the miraculous. Add to that the story of Christian Chelman from Capricornian Tales and it became an obsession to me!

I have now a version that is gaffless and a story I'm very proud of and finally after many years it got into my A material.

Turk, as far as I know there are currently two sets available, the one that is still named Gypsy Curse, and one sold by Aldo Colombini, called Hungarian Guessing Game. Both sets of cards are plastified which I personally don't like.

References for good routines:

-Derek Dingle's Complete Works
-The Commercial Magic of J.C.Wagner
-Capricornian Tales by C. Chelman
-52 Lovers by Jose Carrol
-Scams and Fantasies by Darwin Ortiz

This is one of those tricks that people perceive as more than a card trick!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Doug Byrd
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
361 Posts

Profile of Doug Byrd
There is a much more bizarre effect on the R. Paul Wilson Video (Knock'em Dead) called "Gypsy Monte". In this version you use tarot cards and the working for the Color Monte. I have done it using just regular cards as well, but feel the strength surely lies in the tarot and the story.
If you get a chance, check it out.
Doug
"Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc"
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
I second Doug. I do the Wilson version all the time. I aged the Cards & I keep them in a piece of old parchment. I always have this with me. I adapted the routine & made it my own. It is a great piece of bizarre magic.

Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
OK, but than you have to ask yourself if your motives for doing the routine are the effect in itself or the presentation of it.

If you go for the effect, Gypsy Monte will not do, for it is not a Gypsy Curse-effect but a Color Monte-effect (with a Gypsy Curse patter/presentation).

If you go for the presentation, than Gypsy Monte is a very nice and interesting alternative.

I like it too, but I prefer the Gypsy Curse (wildcard) effect. I think for formal performances, the bigger end display plays as a very large climax.

By the way, do any of you guys have some advice on "aging" cards?
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
You can either soak them in strong coffee for a couple days or use a light oak wood stain to get the desired effects. I also burn them a bit afterwards. Just run them lightly over a candle & rub the soot in with a rag.

Smile
Hunter
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Hunter
Another method for aging cards, especially Tarot: lightly smear with brown and cordovan shoe polish, rub in/polish and you'll also have nice slick cards to go along with the aged look.
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
We used to use tea for aging paperstock in theatre in college.
:stircoffee:
Ellen
harryandersonfan.com
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
So which would be the best method if I want my cards to look old but (from a technical viewpoint, you know, Elmsley, Hamman, Jordan) handle like Bicycles?
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
"The Gypsy's Curse" is a variant of the "Wild Card" routine. Christian Chelman created a beautiful set of cards for a bizarre version of this. All of the original printing are sold, but Chelman may know if the packet has been reprinted. (Refer to Capricornian Tales for pictures of the cards.)
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks all for the information.

Bill (or anyone), do you have Christian's email or address so I can contact him? Obviously, not having the Capricornian Tales is an impediment. BTW, is Capricornian Tales a single routine or multiple routines? And, does Christian sell the Tales directly?

The reason that I stopped using The Gypsy Curse is because I felt that the playing card theme was kinda hokey and I did not want to go out and buy multiple packs of Tarot cards just to put together the more mystical (bizzare?) presentation. Not being comfortable with the original presentation and being too cheap to solve my own dilemma, I quietly retired The Gypsy Curse to my "back room". So, I'm excited to learn that Christian made up a Tarot card versions of this excellent effect.

Thanks again for all the help and info.

Turk

P.S.

Although I'm not a Collector "nut", if possible I try to purchase directly from the originator and have my item autographed by same. In this regard, I have read somewhere that a personal autographed item (i.e., autographed with reference to the buyer's name) is not as valuable as a "generic" autograph (just the originator's name) but, if true, I don't care.

As I say, I'm not a Collector "nut". I just like to establish a personal connection with the originator. It imparts some "speciality" to the item as I handle it. I seem to treat the item with more respect (and with just the slightest reverence) than I might if I merely had purchased the item "off the shelf". I also seem to become more "inspired" and creative and to have the creative juices flow more freely as I handle the item. I know that this might sound weird--but that's just me.
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
He posts here as "Curator".
What is the color of magic?
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Turk,a I like your thoughts about establishing personal connection with the creator of an effect.
I feel the same way.

BTW, the cards Chelman uses in his GC version are not Tarot cards. They have a more gothic appearance.
I heard stories that he has an incredible collection of bizarre items in his home.
As a matter of fact, he even invited me once to come and visit the place, but it never got that far.
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Amon-Re
View Profile
New user
Holland
86 Posts

Profile of Amon-Re
For those interested, you could PM Mr Chelman. Here is his profile:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/bb_pr......ser=5652

Maybe he'll return your call Smile .

His gypsy curse patter is one of the best, though Darwin Ortiz' version I find great too (especially the punch line he uses).
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3822 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well, I don't sell Capricornian Tales nor any effect I created. Alas ! In Legendes Urbaines (French language) I developped a second routine for the gypsy Curse, far more theatrical and darker than the original one.

And I usually return calls on the internet, just because I'm a polite person. Smile
The soon to be published "Compendium Sortilegionis" contains totally never published before material, but once again in French. If the logical question is: "Why not in English ?" The answer is: "Ask Richard Kaufman." He has a book called "Hauntics" in his hand since 1997 or 8 already translated by John Racherbaumer.
Otherwise, http://www.surnateum.org was created to help bizarre magicians, among other purposes. Smile
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3025 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
I asked Richard Kaufman and he hasn't set a publication date yet. If any other French-impaired bizarrists would like to see more Chelman routines come to light anytime soon, why not show your interest by dropping Mr. Kaufman a note?

http://www.geniimagazine.com/kaufmanandco/contact.html
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!) and the Hands-Off Multiple ESP System ("Quality and design far exceed any ESP cards on the market"-Genii), and contributor to the ebook GOLD: When It HAS To Be Performance GOLD -- all at Penguin.
Devereaux
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
59 Posts

Profile of Devereaux
If anyone is still following this topic, I recently filmed my take on this routine. Due to the Corona Virus 2020 and being self quarantined, I have had time to film some effects that have been on the shelf far too long.

This one combines the ideas and props I love from Christian Chelman (basic story), Doug Gorman for the card routine/props along with Vic Nadata at Gemini Artifacts. The props are gorgeous.
The last sleight I had to create my own "move" to accommodate the unforgiving camera.

Overall very happy with the outcome as this has been a favorite routine of mine for a long time and never had the chance to do anything with it.

Hope you like it (if anyone is still following this thread years later!) Smile

Greg
https://youtu.be/PRhLRlPSwnE
Leslie Melville
View Profile
Special user
Blackpool-U.K.
691 Posts

Profile of Leslie Melville
Disappointing to see that nowhere among the above references to 'Gypsy Curse' is PETER KANE'S name mentioned; and he was the originator of this wonderful piece of magic.

Leslie Melville
Stories....?....That's telling!
Devereaux
View Profile
New user
Las Vegas
59 Posts

Profile of Devereaux
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2020, Leslie Melville wrote:
Disappointing to see that nowhere among the above references to 'Gypsy Curse' is PETER KANE'S name mentioned; and he was the originator of this wonderful piece of magic.

Leslie Melville

Yes of course! My fault in my omission! One of the great plots in magic IMHO!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » The Gypsy Curse (17 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL