The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Please, I need your help. I'm writing a paper for school. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChristianR
View Profile
Veteran user
356 Posts

Profile of ChristianR
So here's the deal. School took over recently and has been taking over my love for magic. Now, I have the opportunity to write a paper on magic, but I really need your help. The papers source cannot be me, and cannot come from research other than "interviews." I had a few interviews scheduled, but their schedules got to busy. I've got some questions down below. If you can answer them or part of any, your help would be greatly appreciated. The main questions come first with some follow ups or guiders below them.

1.What type of people go to magic meetings or groups (such as IBM, or SAM)?
-What age are the people (usually)?
-What gender? Does it lean more towards one side?
-How do the people dress? (I know this is a bit touchy, but please be honest!)
--Do they were "street" clothes or suits? Are they in good condition, or are they a tad ratty?
-Do any non-magicians come? Why and how many?
-Are the members related in any other way outside of the group?

2. Why do people come to the meetings?
-How do they get involved? Do you recruit?
-What do they hope to gain from them?
-What do they give in them?

3. How are the meetings run?
-What is the basic structure?
-Are there any "rituals" or things that are repeated every time?

4. Why did the group form?
-What was the demand?
-Why was there a need for the group?
-How did it start?

5.How did you get into these meetings?
-How old were you?
-How did you find out about it?
-Why did you join, what was the motivation?

Thank you so much. Really. If you answer any of these you are my hero.

Christian
Tarbell!
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-12-31 01:03, ChristianR wrote:
So here's the deal. School took over recently and has been taking over my love for magic. Now, I have the opportunity to write a paper on magic, but I really need your help. The papers source cannot be me, and cannot come from research other than "interviews." I had a few interviews scheduled, but their schedules got to busy. I've got some questions down below. If you can answer them or part of any, your help would be greatly appreciated. The main questions come first with some follow ups or guiders below them.

--Do they were "street" clothes or suits? Are they in good condition, or are they a tad ratty?
-Do any non-magicians come? Why and how many?

-How do they get involved? Do you recruit?
-What do they hope to gain from them?
-What do they give in them?

-What is the basic structure?
-Are there any "rituals" or things that are repeated every time?

4. Why did the group form?
-What was the demand?
-How did it start?

5.How did you get into these meetings?
-How old were you?
-How did you find out about it?
-Why did you join, what was the motivation?

Thank you so much. Really. If you answer any of these you are my hero.

Christian

wow...can't believe nobody answered these questions for you???

I'll try my best...

1)People who are interested in and/or love magic, magicians and the performing arts.
- 18 and up
- Mostly men
- People usually dress the way they do normally. Nothing fancy unless it's an event.
- Sometimes non magicians come because they want to find out if they will join. Or because of a friends invitation.

2) People come to the meetings to be with others who share the same interest in magic; learning, sharing and giving back to community.
- They get involved by word of mouth or from a friend.
- They gain valuable information and a scense of self worth. It's a great way to learn and grow as a magician.

3) Meetings are run like a business at the begining; President, officers and treasure all have reports. There is a plan and members offer feedback. Talk of upcoming events and ways to do community service. The second half can consist of introducing new members, a lecture or any other magic related business.
- There are several rituals and other bits of information that is regulary covered.

4) The group was formed because there were magicians in the community who wanted to have a club that was part of their own area. When there are more people interested in a certain subject, sooner or later a group will form.

5) I personally became involved after I joined the IBM. After that I read about the local ring meetings in the Linking Ring magazine.
- I was about 28 yrs old.
- I found out about the IBM from Ted Collins (RIP) of Mecca Magic, Bloomfield, NJ.
- I joined to learn more about the history of magic/magicians, to become involved in conventions, to make magician friends and to grow as a magician.

I hope this will help with some of your questions? Some of them were repetive and I tried to answer all I could...

Good luck!

Justin Style
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1748 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Christian,

Here are my answers:

The people who attended the Ring 71 meetings when I was able to make them regularly were people who loved learning magic, performing magic, teaching magic and talking magic. They come from all walks of life: Lawyers, pilots, accountants, business owners, ministers, minimum-wage earners, students, you name it.

I would say the average age of the Cincinnati Ring was probably in the high 30s, but from my answer below the people are all ages ... from teens to 70s and 80s.

Mostly men.

Those coming to lectures typically dressed very casually.

--Do they were "street" clothes or suits? Are they in good condition, or are they a tad ratty? The norm is clothes of good quality in the sense of not tattered and ragggy. Again, anything from T-shirts to sport coats.

-Do any non-magicians come? Why and how many? Sometimes spouses come. If they are not magicians, they usually have been exposed to magic.

If by related you mean are they family, there is some. But a lot become friends and get together outside of the normally scheduled meetings.

In Cincinnati, the IBM Ring was primarily a lecture Ring. They come to learn from the best magicians performing today.

-How do they get involved? Do you recruit? It usually starts with relationships. You invite friends who have expressed or shown an interest in magic.

-What do they hope to gain from them? Learn new tricks; learn how to perform better.
-What do they give in them? Share what they have known.

-What is the basic structure? A call to open the meeting, bring up any business issues, remind everyone to turn off their cell phones or at least turn them to vibrate.
-Are there any "rituals" or things that are repeated every time? Turn off cell phones.

4. Why did the group form? (Happened a long time ago, not sure.)
-What was the demand?
-How did it start?

5.How did you get into these meetings? Was invited by a friend. Paid my dues.
-How old were you? I was 35 when I first attended.
-How did you find out about it? A friend was a member.
-Why did you join, what was the motivation? To be around people who could help me become a better magician.

Bobby Warren
Associate Editor
The Linking Ring
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
1.All types of people go to the club meetings, from the young to the old, the rich to the poor, etc. In my local club(IBM Okito/Lance Burton Ring 64,SAM Mac King Assembly 215/Louisville Magic Club), they are mostly on the older side, but all age groups are present. Our club is mostly male. Most of the people dress casually and tastefully unless it is a certain event. Non-magicians that come are usually spouses, sibilings, and in my case parents. There are a few familys in the club, but most are friends, and in some cases, bff's.

2.They come to the meetings to hang out with friends, attend lectures/dealer shows, and take part in meetings. They get involved by going to a meeting to see if they like it, and if they do, they join the independent part of the club with options to join either the IBM, SAM, or both. Right now, we don't recruit, but due to the aging of most of the members, the club might start recruiting. They hope to gain magical knowledge from going. The club gives at least 10 months worth of lectures with November being contest/election month and one month either being convention break month or teach a trick month.

3.1st, there is buisiness/announcements(limited to 30 minutes execpt for November elections), then there is either the lecture or whatever else is going on at the meeting. There are no rituals in my club.

4.I don't know the real reason, probably so magicians could hang out. I heard that the demand was pretty big, and it's still big, since our club is one of the largest. I don't know why there was a need, or how it started.

5.Right after the magic bug bit me, I heard about their fundraiser show and went to it, where I asked one of the pre show walkaround preformers about their next meeting, and went to that. I was 11 at the time(Now 14). I wanted to join so I could gain knowledge.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » Please, I need your help. I'm writing a paper for school. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL