The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shoot Ogawa's Ninja Rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
Just a quick note to let everybody who's been asking when Shoot's "Ninja Rings" DVD and Ring sets from Japan will ship. The answer is now! Those who have already ordered will get them this week.

Murphy's Magic Supplies will be the wholesale distributor. The DVD and rings will arrive in magic shops worldwide later this month.

http://www.bobkohlermagic.com has moved into a new facility in Las Vegas to better serve you.
We are in the middle of the move. This message is to let everybody know who's been waiting for this release as it will be another week before I get my emails out.

Thanks.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
So basically, whats the different from ninja ring and linking ring ?
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1354 Posts

Profile of bekralik
The Ninja Rings routine is designed for close-up performance, which is quite different from the stand-up standard linking rings with 8" to 10" rings set.

I think this set is ... I'm not sure of the dimensions, but I'm guessing 5"? Quite a unique dynamic and routine from what you're used to seeing with the larger ring set. You'd have to see a demo of it to really get a sense of how inherently beautiful the routine is (I don't think one is available presently).

Brian
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Just about any magic shop in the U.S. has smaller close up rings for a linking rings routine, but they are cheap and you can actually see the joining of the ring (where it was soldered together).

The rings that Bob Kohler has are beautiful rings from Japan. There is NO visible soldering spots. I purchased a set from Shoot Ogawa when he lectured at the Magic Castle last year. He didn't have very many sets with him and he didn't have any videos/dvds of his Ninja Rings routine.

Shoot features his routine when he works the Castle. Very beatiful routine indeed! Once again Mr. Kohler has shown that he has an eye for killer routines!

The rings are actually small enough to fit inside your pocket for strolling situations. At the same time, however, they are large enough to be seen in a parlour type of setting (I saw Shoot's show in both the Close Up room and the Parlour at the Castle and he closed both shows with his ring routine).
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
I own the rings and the videos when I studied in Japan 1 and a half year ago.The rings,I have to say,are so beautifully made.You must love it.The routine is also very good for both laymen and magicians.But one point to mention!!DON'T perform the routine for Japanese magicians and laymen,they have already watched the routine hundreds of times.Every department store features the same routine...So I have a complicated feeling that whether I should perform the routine...cos soon everyone will only perform this one...

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
Hey alexhui,

I agree with not performing it for Japanese Magicians. However, the laymen here in Japan are laymen like anywhere else in the world. When I go down to the magic section of the toys stores here in Japan, the Magician on duty will always do the linking rings (and some Tenyo Tricks) for many flabbergasted audiences.

Too me, the linking ring routine is kind of jaded, but laymen seem to be amazed, even when it is a sub-par linking ring performance.

And from what I've noticed, the toy store magicians rarely sell the linking rings, despite always perform it. After a performance of the rings, customers will inquire about the linking rings, and the magician will say that it's hard to learn, and try to sell the customer an easy Tenyo Product.

KC
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
KC,

Your words are too to the point!!The routine,while is not for beginners,is ALWAYS performed by the magicians at the store counter.HOW RIDICULOUS!!!!!!Laymen are always shocked and then buy the rings,but THEY NEVER PRACTICE..................So I think the release of the Rings in department store is so stupid........Who makes this decision???

Alex

KC
View Profile
Special user
Utah
571 Posts

Profile of KC
The only reason I can think of performing the Linking Rings in the Department store is so they can attract a crowd of people. Depending on the ring routine, it can usually be done surrounded, and so it is perfect for the Department store venue. And if customers want to see some more tricks, they can come up to the counter and see some Tenyo tricks.

I don't know why they sell the linking rings in the department store. But not all the department stores sell the "Ninja Rings", they also sell the Tenyo Version of the miniature Linking Rings. So it might just be to sell the whole Tenyo Collection.

KC
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
It's nice to see this announcement today. It goes along with Shoot Ogawa being on the cover of this month's MAGIC magazine.

On page 49, there's a photo of Shoot whose caption states that we won't see the rings and video until this summer, so it's a nice surprise!

Bob, when will we be seeing you and Shoot at the meetings? You've both been hard to find at Boomer's lately!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Shoot just flew over to Las Vegas today so try and get him over to Boomers.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
You may see a demo at Hocus Pocus or just click here http://hocus-pocus.com/static/theatre_page.html

It is listed as Ninja Rings.

Jakks
stevenamills
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of stevenamills
Has anybody received anything this week?

Later.....
Steve
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Received my DVD and Rings yesterday Thursday by Priority Mail from Bob Kohler. Rings are nice and haven't had a chance to view the DVD, yet.
Bob Kohler
View Profile
Special user
704 Posts

Profile of Bob Kohler
First, let me thank everyone who has been waiting for the rings and DVD to ship. We just finished shipping the orders after a three week delay from the relicator.

It is true that in Japan the Linking Rings is a pitch trick sold in Department stores, in fact the rings are sold in America as a pitch trick at Magic Masters, although they sell a 10" version.

My impression of the linking rings is this. It's a classic routine that has been around a long as any other trick just like the cups and balls.

The reason it's a classic is simple. When it's well done it fools audiences. Yes, the secret is simple, but the rings are really a manipulation and choreography trick.

I've been doing a version of the rings at trade shows for twenty years. I have a great routine with lots of good jokes, an excellent choreography and I do it very well. I'm not saying this to blow my own horn, but to let you know that at the end of almost every show someone would come up to me and say "Wow, I've got a set of magic rings, but mine don't work like yours."

Vernon used to say to people who would come up to him after his performance of the rings and mention that they too had the rings. His response was "you can by a violin, but that doesn't mean you can play it."

The day after the Masked Magician exposed the key on national television I was in Atlanta performing at a trade show. Same results except that even more people were coming up to me saying that they had seen the explanation last night but they didn't know how I did it.

Obviously, you have to put in the time and practice to perfect any routine. But the visuals and touches that have been created by Cardini, Chris Capehart,Allan Haydn, Vernon and many others take a simple secret to heights of deception. To watch Chris Capehart perform a three ring routine on the streets of New York and absolutely destroy the minds of the audience is astouding. Think about this...one key and two singles. The simplest possible physical method. Exactly what the masked magician disclosed. Yet Chris' methods, choreography and performance comletely cancel the true method. If you are a student of the rings you must read his routine in the "Stars of Magic". Ditto for Allan Haydn's, Whit Haydn's, Vernons etc.

What makes Shoot Ogawa's performance of Masahiro's routine so amazing is even knowledgeable magicians simply cannot believe their eyes. The 4.5" rings allow manipulations that are just not possible with larger rings. The visual penetrations are perfect for close up as these manipulations can be done just inches from the eyes of the spectators with extremely small movements of the rings. The links don't seem possible.

So if you learn to perform any ring routine well I really don't think you need to worry if the audience "knows" the method. If they don't, you will blow them away. If they do, they will be amazed at your skill. You win either way.

The good news is that we finally have a version of this age old classic that fits in your pocket. It resets instantly and plays very big for the size of the props.

No one has mentioned it, but set of Ninja Rings is the exact set you need to perform Whit Haydn's "Comedy Four Ring Routine". If you've never seen Whit perform this cornerstone to his act you've missed the boat. It is one of the funniest routines ever. Even though I made the tape of Whit performing and teaching the routine, I no longer have any financial link (pun intended)so trust me, buy it. You can get it from Whit at http://www.schoolforscoundrels.com. The routine is priceless, the female spectator is sensational,so it you don't like the trick...

Seriously, it's difficult to find a prop like the Ninja Rings that can be done for such a wide variety of situations and at the same time is so practical. Add to the mix that with the same props in your pocket you can do the visuals or Whit's comedy routine.

I believe the Ninja Rings will be the close up classic handling of the linking rings. It's powerful today, it will be powerful ten years from now. It's just that good.
www.bobkohlermagic.com

Home of the BK Pro Line
Steve Friedberg
View Profile
Inner circle
1402 Posts

Profile of Steve Friedberg
Bob:
While I am not a ring performer, at least not yet, I can tell you I had the true pleasure of watching Shoot perform the Ninja Rings at Boomer's. Everything you and the others have said about his performance is to the point. He truly performed magic. He did so slowly, precisely and marvelously.

Heck, I think I just convinced myself to go get the DVD and buy a set of the rings!
Cheers,
Steve

"A trick does not fool the eyes, but fools the brain." -- John Mulholland
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
Hey guys,

I have a quick question:

At Hocus Pocus, does the $60 Ninja ring set include the DVD? After reading the description, I assume it does, but I would like to make sure. Thanks!
Daniel M. Carrico
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Daniel,

It does.But I am not sure whether they give you the Golden ring or Sliver ring

Alex

Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Is there a major difference in "Shoots version" and Dan Fleshmans? Dans comes with 8 - 5" rings and a video for only $35 and is also a version of Mr Yanagidas "Ninja Rings" - I would be interested in seeing a comparison of each before deciding which to buy. (like the Hundy 500 vs Slow Burn and other similar effects that seem to come out together). Also are Ninja Rings a brand name? Bob Kohler mentioned that Whit Haden used them in his 4-ring routine. They were fairly large if I remember 10" - 12" or so.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Question??
What is the "golden" version of the Ninja Rings and wondering (to Bob Kohler) if these will also be available in the U.S.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1956 Posts

Profile of alexhui
George,

In Japan,there are 2 versions of Ninja ring.Golden Rings and Sliver Rings.Golden Rings is the limited version and a carrying bag and a 'holder' is inculded.It gives you a elegant look when you carry the ring inside the bag(maybe it depends...).While the Sliver version just inculdes the Rings themselves.Golden Rings,which color is golden,is very beautiful,I think.I am happy that I own one.

Alex

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Shoot Ogawa's Ninja Rings (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL